No announcement yet.

Undergate Re-Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Baker, can you either release the map src or can you update undergate.bsp to have more than one spawn point?

Comment

Originally posted by Maraakate View Post
      Hey Baker, can you either release the map src or can you update undergate.bsp to have more than one spawn point?
      The map source *should* be in the distribution (it was included in the original distribution in 2006). Let me know if you can't find it. I open source pretty much everything I do.

A technological challenge ... spawn points. See even if you add a extra spawn point in the gateway map, it won't make the 100+ provided maps have an extra spawn point ... if you see what I mean.

This has the source for sure:

http://quake-1.com/files/maps/undergate-standalone.zip (2006) [undergate.bsp by itself]
      Last edited by Baker; 11-04-2011, 09:40 AM.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

What would another spawn point do for you?
        WARNING
        May be too intense for some viewers.
        Stress Relief Device
        ....BANG HEAD HERE....
        ---------------------------
        .--------------------------

Comment

Well, I have been playing it online with someone and he's been writing some QC to make the maps a little more fun on nightmare, etc. A few maps have goofed up triggers when you play them via coop but oh well. Hoping to just play each map one by one and add some spawn points via QC. It's going to be work, but it's damn fun playing each map individually with other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            A technological challenge ... spawn points. See even if you add a extra spawn point in the gateway map, it won't make the 100+ provided maps have an extra spawn point ... if you see what I mean.
            You can use QC to make spawn points, right? And can QC be used to reset triggers? There's a few maps that have some trap rooms where bars might come down, etc. and if you die the trigger isn't reset so you can't enter the room and have to restart the whole level. Those maps were obviously only designed for single player. The only other thing I guess would be to decompile those maps but the performance of the map would probably never be the same.

Comment

You can use QC to make spawn points, right? And can QC be used to reset triggers? There's a few maps that have some trap rooms where bars might come down, etc. and if you die the trigger isn't reset so you can't enter the room and have to restart the whole level. Those maps were obviously only designed for single player. The only other thing I guess would be to decompile those maps but the performance of the map would probably never be the same.
              I don't know if you are familiar with RQuake, but RocketGuy "fixed" countless maps having QuakeC add spawn points and occasionally remove entities that interfere with coop.

Decompiling maps and recompiling them is bad practice (there should not be multiple mymap.bsp floating around, especially ones that different from the author's own) but rather creating .ent files (external entity files).

A better solution than the above would be making it so players that spawn can walk through other players and do not telefrag each other.

But even then you will run into issues with the Undergate that RocketGuy successfully fixed in RQuake. One example is a player grabbing a key and then dying.

RQuake selector map ^^. RocketGuy and I worked together making that mod.

Rune Central • View forum - rQuake Team Cooperative

It would require a fair bit of QuakeC to make the Undergate coop friendly to the extent that a server could run it. It would require a fair bit of QuakeC work.

Inside3d.com forums is the best place to get a handle on QuakeC, but the thing was that RocketGuy wasn't new to QuakeC at all and had run an online server for years. And ... well ... RQuake requires an engine modification too on the server to make single player entities appear in "deathmatch" otherwise you are stuck with the single player scoreboard (i.e. no per player scores).

[I have long thought the best way to solve "coop" challenges was to make it so that player can walk through each other during spawn. But this is another change that as I understand it would require an engine modification in addition to QuakeC.

Thread:

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1806

RQuake source code: for completion ...

http://quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/rq....source.tar.gz
              Last edited by Baker; 11-06-2011, 12:32 PM.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

we fixed the key issues. The progs I'm using is modified from yours so that if someone on the team grabs the key, all players receive the key in their inventory and you keep your weapons if you die (keys too). This had made the maps a lot more fun to play through.

Comment

I know decompiling and recompiling is technically bad practice, i'd be willing to rename the files <bsp>_f.bsp to distinguish that it's been "fixed" or whatever needs to be done to make everyone happy.

Comment

I know decompiling and recompiling is technically bad practice, i'd be willing to rename the files <bsp>_f.bsp to distinguish that it's been "fixed" or whatever needs to be done to make everyone happy.
                    You don't need to decompile a map to do what you want.

Open up the .bsp in a text editor. Copy all text from worldspawn to the bottom of the text and paste it into notepad. If the map is e1m1.bsp, save the text file as e1m1.ent and then run qbsp -doents (or -entsonly ... its something like that).

Then the .bsp has the new ents.

Sounds like you have enough of an idea about what you are doing to get some traction, which is very nice to see.

we fixed the key issues. The progs I'm using is modified from yours so that if someone on the team grabs the key, all players receive the key in their inventory and you keep your weapons if you die (keys too). This had made the maps a lot more fun to play through.
                    And this is the reason I open source almost all my stuff

Nice to see someone customizing it/expanding it to their needs.

Comment

So, basically I would decompile the map, open it up in worldraft, and find the offending trap door triggers and just remove the lines in the bsp file and save it as *.ent and run the qbsp -noents command?

Comment

So, basically I would decompile the map, open it up in worldraft, and find the offending trap door triggers and just remove the lines in the bsp file and save it as *.ent and run the qbsp -noents command?
                        Well, I kinda of said in the first sentence of the previous post that you didn't have to decompile the map.

But that's ok, you can always master the hard way of doing things and then go back and read my post and do it the easy way

There are multiple ways of accumulating karma and experience, and I am not fit to judge these methods.

Comment

How do I go about finding the offending trigger name without decompiling then?

Comment

Will these improvements be made availible / hosted on the currect COOP servers?
                            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

How do I go about finding the offending trigger name without decompiling then?
                              QuakeC

In QuakeC, have the trigger functions print the edict number on spawn and when triggered. Then look through the text file for the nth entity, also use viewpos to identify where you are in the map. You should be able to have QuakeC print the targeted entity too. In fact, merely identifying the targeted entity should be enough to search through the entities in the text file portion of the .bsp.

You can also have an engine like DarkPlaces or FitzQuake do r_showbboxes 1 to visualize the entity and with FitzQuake at least you can do "viewpos" to get your current coordinates.

The decompiling/recompiling a map method would be an extremely painful way to try to solve the issues (and ultimately a dead end --- decompilers are "ok" but they are not perfect and some of them made by experts have used special map compilers and settings to compile. And this does not even begin to cover problems ... maybe 25-40% of the Undergate maps do not use the original qbsp and used compilers like txqbsp with metric ton of customizations and command line parameters.).

[I might add that it appears no one has mentioned the big QuakeC resources at Inside3D.com as far I can tell. Or the mapping help thread @ Func_Msgboard. I'm just pointing these out, because those resources are part of a complete set of resources for anything complicated and trying to make the Undergate coop friendly is no small order.]

(Something else that sucks, I'm kinda of sort of not "fully" available at the moment like in the past.)
                              Last edited by Baker; 11-08-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                                QuakeC

(Something else that sucks, I'm kinda of sort of not "fully" available at the moment like in the past.)
                                Thats a understatement
                                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                                X