Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Quake HD-Mod @ ModDB

QUAKE - HD mod - Mod DB
    Last edited by webangel; 04-25-2011, 04:48 AM.

Rugel got all the credits?
    I think it's Rygel - however he himself didn't make all of that.
    Ruohis did the models. The skins on the monsters shown are Reforged Team.

Comment

Relax OoPpEe,

it is even worse:
      If you look at the second/below clip the author implemented in that moddb thread,
      he writes in the clip, that Quake Reforged team did the weapon models and textures...

There will always be people, who dont know the real story and want to draw attention.
      Picking some new stuff they found here and there and declare it as the:
      "New ultimate Quake HD mod"

Be easy on these people OoPpEe.
      People from quakeone.com know the real story.

I think/hope webangel posted this link with a wink.
      ...to let us know what´s going on behind quakeone´s borders.

For me it looks like it is nothing but pure dpmod with Rygels pack and Reforged monster skins.
      This guy is really not uptodate

Regards,
      Seven

Comment

...to let us know what´s going on behind quakeone´s borders
        ...so it is.

This guy is really not uptodate

Comment

Maybe this guy is taking all the assets and combining them into an easy download. Something like nQuake did for ezQuake but this package would be for DarkPlaces?
          If he can credit every author responsible then it's not a bad thing. I mean actually trying to find all this media and setting it up is quite a cumbersome task for a new player.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Thank you for your reply R00k,

I absolutely agree, that it is a good thing to help new players,
            but it is only Rygels pack + Reforged pack in one.

You maybe noticed this thread: quake-pk3s-dummies

Its hightest task is to do just what you explained.
            But with new updated content.

Of course it is only visible to quakeone.com users/visitors...

More Advertising like this guy did, is what we ned to bring it to the masses.

Regarding credits:
            You are right, I hope he gives credits to every author (just like Rygel did it)
            But like mentioned in my post above, he doesnt even know who did what

Best wishes,
            Seven

Comment

If he was just packing everything into one neat package, then he shouldn't make it look like he made the mod himself.

Comment

Sadly it happens.
                Happened on the Steam forums with the "Ultimate Quake Patch by MenaceINC". MenaceINC did fix the issue later and dropped the "by MenaceINC" as doing that implied he did it - he did mention credits and all but no one read those, just the title and many were making suggestions for engine edits he should do. Since that change - it stopped.
                Then "Rygels Pack" awesome HD pack, sadly due to it's name no one knew the models inside were Ruohis' - I myself didn't even know until Seven told me.

So HD packs are great however they need to start getting better documentation on who did what in them.

Comment

I'm in awe with your works guys. But it can take a while to find out about it if you didn't follow quake since 90s, and don't know where to start. This site is far from top results in google “quake mod” search and there are no links to reforged, qrp, and your mini mods outside forum. No chance in hell that some new potential quake player, like some young person who had bought id collection on steam will care about quake enough to find his way around all this.

So I've attempted to ease it for them, and people like myself.
                  Quake HD Pack that I hope is done right way

I want to keep Darkplaces, QRP, Reforged, Rygel's as just links in the guide.
                  Gather all smaller mods that stay really close to original content and work without any issues in single download.
                  All pk3 separate with file name including author name and file origin.

So... can I continue including your works there, or should I remove this download ? Any suggestions ?
                  Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

...This site is far from top results in google “quake mod” search...
                    it´s place 9 for me

Is it possible to credit every author on the "summary" page?
                    There are not so much in your pack! (Seven, Romi, Inkub0, Rygel, Moon[Drunk], Joe, Andy Bay, O.Sezer , ....)
                    You have the rights to publish the original NIN Tracks?
                    Last edited by webangel; 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM. Reason: link removed

Comment

Well maybe position is not that bad...

But I believe it's obvious what I was talking about. Put yourself in place of described target audience... One is certain it will take me a lot more time to find out what to download and how to setup, then it will take me to play through it. Is it the way it should be ?

Is it possible to credit every author on the "summary" page?
                      There are not so much in your pack!
                      Sure
                      I've included credits for stuff in a download I did not included credits for stuff I've just linked to, you made it look bad.
                      You have the rights to publish the original NIN Tracks?
                      Does i****0 have them ? Sure it's probably a good idea to just write in what format tracks are needed and where to put them.
                      It's not nice that they are not included in steam download by the way.

And I'm not an author of this abandoned Quake HD if someone wonder.

well that was harsh

OK I've taken it down for now. I will continue with a guide only, when its final I'll try to contact with authors first and if I receive disapproval it will stay as a guide only.
                      Last edited by _Smith_; 07-16-2011, 08:14 AM.
                      Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

not liking that search result, thats not good at all...

Comment

OK I've taken it down for now

why?
                          it wasn´t meant this way!

Comment

For now, it will be back within few days in much better and precise form.
                            I've finished checking all stuff posted in Quake Mod Releases sub forum today.
                            I've got a bit bored need a day or two of break, before doing final touches.

Comment

It's ready. I've posted it in a form of “Quake HD for new spawns” thread, so you don't have to download it, to knew what it is about and how credits are handed.

I remember that I've promised to contact authors first, but someone may not answer for many days for various reasons and I want to be done with it just now. I've grown tired with all this stuff enough to lost a will to actually play through the thing in the nearest future, witch is why it was needed.

If you've ever posted any work on quakeone.com you may check credits and file list in “Quake HD for new spawns” thread. If you don't want your stuff to be included just drop me a line and it will be silently removed without any notification or bitching about it on forum.

This pack originated from my disapproval for incub0 pk3 for dummies thread:
                              1. Nothing wrong with sharing your personal texture mix. But I don't agree with suggesting to new players it's the ultimate solution. Both texture packs are consistent and distinct from each other enough to leave small field for improvement through mixing, and slapping QRP normals on Rygel's pack textures just like that generate bad results in many places.
                              2. Your downloads lacked credits.
                              3. That thread was not really newbie friendly witch was proven by the length it has grown to.

Comment

Working...
                              X