Reloading in Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloading in Quake

I think it would be a great mod if you could reload.

Hello TimStandsAlone,

A RELOAD mod has been done many times.

Try these links to get a first impression:
    - here
    - here
    (enhancement to this one can be found here)
    - also searching for "reload" at inside3D.com will help you.

Regards,
    Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
      Hello TimStandsAlone,

A RELOAD mod has been done many times.

Try these links to get a first impression:
      - here
      - here
      (enhancement to this one can be found here)
      - also searching for "reload" at inside3D.com will help you.

Regards,
      Seven

Pardon me Seven, but are there any mods already made for it? And not the one where you have to stand on healthkits for a period of time, that one glitches for me.
      Who would win: a death knight, or a gremlin with a double-barrel?

Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198039860229

Comment

I maybe misunderstood your post.

By "reload" I meant the weapon reloading.
        I understand your post, that you want "reload" your health by standing on a healthkit ?

Anyway, the best place to look/ask is always inside3d.com:
        The site, where the REAL brains are. (engine and qc related)
        No single question will be left unanswered.

Comment

Kurok has reloading.

Kurok

I believe the Navy Seals mod does too.

Quake Terminus
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Malice also has reloading.

The typical anti-reloading argument by Quake fans is that it's not "Quakey", since "Quake combat should be simple and straightforward".

It's also usually said that reloading is "too realistic, and Quake isn't about realism".

Personally I think reloading adds more than it detracts.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              I maybe misunderstood your post.

By "reload" I meant the weapon reloading.
              I understand your post, that you want "reload" your health by standing on a healthkit ?

Anyway, the best place to look/ask is always inside3d.com:
              The site, where the REAL brains are. (engine and qc related)
              No single question will be left unanswered.

It's ok for your misinterpretation, I Do want a mod that adds reloadable weapons to Quake, just NOT the one that includes standing on health kits.
              Who would win: a death knight, or a gremlin with a double-barrel?

Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198039860229

Comment

Reloading breaks the monotonous aspect of repetitious firing.
                This adds strategy by disallowing the player from just spamming shots without consideration to inventory management. Though, multiplayer quake can be quite fast-paced, adding something like this might work in a mod that limits inventory. I always thought it would be cool to make a mod, that limited the amount of weapons you could carry. Like an AXE, and two weapons, plus limited ammo in the backpack. Either you run out of ammo, or have too much ammo of another weapon. This would require one to either drop the gun, or ammo to make room for another. So instead of 8 players running around a map all carrying Rocket Launchers, there would be a fixed number of guns on the map and as players die you steal their weapons and ammo.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Team Fortress had reloading. The shotguns, the grenade launcher, and the rocket launcher all had clips. Different reload times, too. It helped bring the soldier's power back down to earth ever so slightly, though the soldier was still kinda overpowered compared to the rest.

Comment

Reloading is fun for a certain kind of game, but not fun for others. Yeah, it breaks the monotony and adds strategy, but it can also break the gameplay flow and add frustration.

I don't think it has a place in traditional Quake gameplay, which is all about being fast and visceral, but it could certainly be considered an option if you were creating a more cerebral challenge.
                    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

alias +refire "+attack;wait;"
                      alias -refire "-attack;wait;reload;"

bind mouse1 +refire

TADA! Reloading automatically! Now we can just skip the implementation...
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Depends. Reloading might require a few seconds pause (which makes me think - changing weapons would also need to be modded to take time otherwise needing to reload is ineffective).
                        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think reloading would destroy single player Quake, quite the opposite. Malice had reloading and the gameplay is the same.

Multiplayer, sure, everything should be instant.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Wasn't there a mod called Reload Quake that had all the original weapons on the right side and reloading with animations?

EDIT: Here it is http://www.moddb.com/mods/reload-quake

Comment

Malice manual reloading

Commercial TC Malice
                              When i first read it had manual reloading i thought that would be annoying but instead its a lot of fun!

Malice (video game mod) - Wikipedia

Comment

Working...
                              X