Quake HD for new spawns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello porphiron,

I think it is only fair to tell you why this error message appears.

You are using some edited .ent files to bring several new effects into your ID1 Quake.
    That is a nice thing as long as your gamelogic inside your progs.dat knows how to handle them.
    But as soon as you use another mod that brings his OWN progs.dat with it, these effects (spawned via the .ent file), will lead to the crash.

Only 1 progs.dat can be used at the same time.
    So either include the necessary QC into killer´s source (if you have it), or delete the .ent files.

The .ent files, that make your game crash can be found inside webangle´s pack.
    (if you didnt extraced them manually).
    Also weather .ent files will lead to a quite similar error message.

Hope this helps you a bit to understand what is going on...

Best wishes,
    Seven

Comment

Cheers guys!!

Many thanks to both of you for replying so quickly,

Removing the maps folder did it.

I know using some of the stuff in in the KILLER mod can be classed as semi-cheating but damn good fun.

Many thanks for your help, have been wanting to play QUAKE again on a decent rig for ages.

Keep up the good work guys!

Porph!

Comment

I've recently renamed modDB profile same as this thread, but since my English skill is really limited, I've started to wonder.

Can it feel offensive to potential new player who was never into Quake ?
        Is it funny at all, or just stupid ?
        Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Hello Smith,

why not call it "Omega-Quake"

No seriously, the phrase "new spawns" is a little degrading I guess...

Seven

Comment

When I registered here I noticed that I was granted a noble title of New Spawn.
            Later spotted outdated already back then “pk3s for dummies” thread and empty abaddoned for few months 'Quake - HD' modDB profile...

I usualy stay away from all these “for dummies” books.

I will leave it plain and boring on modDB like Quake HD Pack or something.
            Last edited by _Smith_; 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM.
            Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

estupendo, los grandes y verdaderos juegazos, estan renaciendo, gracias a la regeneracion de este juego atrae a los que en verdad apreciamos el klasiko ¨quake¨ a las revolucinarias graficas de la epoca.
              sigan asi.

Comment

update v1.27

I was silent about this pack for a while, because I felt environment wasn't safe to bump this kind of thread

I was updating it from time to time, but past updates were more of “I got too bored to fiddle with it anymore, lets just upload it” variety.
                This time I can't think of anything more I would want to add or change.

If you are new here + perfectionist and try to build it from scratch, you have a huge chance to get sick of all this stuff, long before you'll finish your personal QuakeHD compilation. I've turned into Spirit's side in the process ( quaddicted is awesome ) and I had moments when it was tedious to even look at the 'nextgen Quake' for me I hope I will recover and enjoy this awesome stuff again after some break Hard to tell how authors of all this stuff feel about this pack, but I believe it has some value for this reason.

I've paid attention to credit everyone properly. If someone don't like the way his work is used in this compilation, I will remove or change anything, if asked via pm.

===+++===
                - All textures are in the sizes natively supported by graphics cards.
                - Texture compression will work properly on ATI cards with this pack.
                - Partially compressed texture packs optimized for 256, 384, 512, 768 VRAM.
                - Greatly reduced amount of VRAM used by QR high monsters skins with little, if at all, visible difference.
                for example, there was a single headgib in high QR pack that would eat well above 100MB of your VRAM, just pay attention to the loading progress bar, hard to miss it
                - Some modified minor stuff like teleport and water shaders, QRP exploboxes, gibs, new version of my SMC addon.
                - Plenty of minor issues fixed that are never visible at first glance, but would annoy you sooner or later.
                Last edited by _Smith_; 05-20-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for continued interest smith.

Comment

I see you compiled some extra code into this and did a huge amount of testing to make it all run smoothe,however I have a bug,the v key will not unbind and it makes it unplayable without it.
                    WARNING
                    May be too intense for some viewers.
                    Stress Relief Device
                    ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                    ---------------------------
                    .--------------------------

Comment

Keys c, v, +, -, are hardcoded for use by HUD mod.
                      I'll look at making it possible to bind HUD functions, but I am not in the mood currently.
                      If you have to use v key you can remove HUD_id1_v4.61_Nahuel_Dresk_Smith.pk3 from id1\ folder.
                      Or you can dig into it yourself if you know basics of qc, source is included.

Edit:
                      What are you using 'v' key for, that makes it to have it binded elsewhere unplayable ?
                      I don't play multiplayer, what keys are commonly used and I should stay away from ?
                      Last edited by _Smith_; 05-11-2012, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Hello Smith,

I personaly dont use this HUD version because of the mentioned issue.

It will be hard to find a key, that is free for all players.
                        But why dont do it this way ? :
                        In every engine I know, you can resize your screen by using preconfigured keys.
                        With every push on the "bigger" button you will increase the screen, until you finaly dont see your HUD anymore.
                        Then you could code it, if you push it again, the new layout will appear.
                        If you push it further, a second layout will appear (do what you like here).
                        If you push the engine pre-configured "smaller" key, you go the way back.

That would be the best option, cause you will never get into trouble with binding keys.
                        If this key is adjustable (=not engine pre-configured), you can even check for the key-set and use it then.

Due to the fact that this HUD addon is designed for darkplaces, you can use the darkplaces pre-configured key as default.

Maybe this helps you a little bit to solve this "issue".

Regards,
                        Seven

Comment

@Seven: This is exactly what keys '+-' are doing.
                          'v' additionally allow to show/hide the original or custom ibar depending which one was used last.
                          State of the hud is stored in viewsize value between levels and gaming sessions.
                          I thought everyone use 'wsad' and 'spacebar' and I've left 'e' 'r' 'f' unused, damn how many keys you need to play quake

Super lazy solution, but I hope it's good enough: HUD v4.62 - new autoexec.cfg cvars:
                          set compassbind 99 // ASCII code for 'show compass key' ( small letter ) 99 = c, 0 will disable this keybind
                          set ibarbind 118 // ASCII code for 'show ibar key' ( small letter ) 118 = v, 0 will disable this keybind
                          Last edited by _Smith_; 05-12-2012, 07:26 AM.

Comment

some of us do not use wasd for movement.Also many of us use strange combinations of keys bound to weapons other than 12345678.You just cant break basic functions like unbind all and expect a player to just deal with it.
                            Also you made it quite a chore for a new player unfamiliar with Q1 to just start playing with all the hoops you expect them to jump through in your readme.I thought the reason you put this together was to enable them to just get to it.
                            And while I am at it ,I particularly did not like how you trashed almost every addon giving some reason how you did not like it and did not think its content was appropriate so you left it disabled.What was the point of including it at all if you were just going to bash it?
                            Your project had some potential to update Q1 for new players but you put your own outdated opinion above what an entire community worked so hard to develop.
                            Nothing personal that's just my opinion.
                            WARNING
                            Stress Relief Device
                            ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Most of the “hoops” are related to performance issues and someone with powerful enough hardware can ignore half of this single page readme. Reading a single page readme is a chore ? Really ? Would it be better without that info ? Do you believe that inviting a player with significantly worse performance than Crysis on max settings is a good idea ?

I believe that a person on nostalgia trip or a new player most probably wants to get in his hands something that looks like Quake and not like something else. I know I hate when these kind of packages are not faithful to original game. What is a cool new feature to you, can be a huge turn off for someone else. I only advise newcomers how to achieve “conservative” build first, if they want it, before going wild with crazy stuff if they feel like it.

I don't trash, but describe both pros and cons. I don't wanted features that alter gameplay, significantly alter atmosphere, or have huge performance impact for little benefit to be activated by default. But I described my favorite alterations and pointed to info about the rest making it a player choice to use them. Seven have features in SMC that he left disabled by default as well, why not ask what was the point in implementing them as well? There are features, by your logic “bashed” in the readme, that were introduced and/or modified by me and I spend a lot of time working on them btw

You have purists like Spirit, you have effectmonkeys like Seven or you Then you have a moderate guy like me that get bashed by both sides

As for key bindings it is not always obvious how to just make stuff like you would want... also this mod is available for months, why no one said it's an issue for so long.
                              You asked and you have an option to free these keys now.

You take my sig seriously as "bashing" as well I guess...
                              Last edited by _Smith_; 05-12-2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

You misunderstand,I think you did a great job.Giving birth is just painful.
                                Unification is something that Q1 has needed for a long time and I am happy that you rose to the task.I just wish you would have left any negative comments out of the descriptions of the additional content and left nothing for a new player to do but start it up and play.
                                And yes that means not having to read a readme.Vising maps ect...If you don't like some of the mods that seem out of place then don't enable them by default,without comment about your tastes.
                                You had no involvement in making any of the mods so you can not just willy nilly change the way basic functions operate nor do you have the community behind you changing it.
                                As i see it the biggest stumbling block you face in this endeavor is your need to grab some credit for yourself at the expense of the community who created it.
                                If you have a problem with my assessment of the project well that is to be expected.
                                I am an unbiased unflinching prick with giant character flaws of my own to deal with,don't we all.
                                Your signature has absolutely nothing to do with anything,and your comments alluding to it are a feeble attempt to flap me and that i find comical.
                                Quake is serious business and hard work ,Are you man enough for this job,or are you going to bail out like every other clown whoever attempted to herd cats?You will find It is not all rainbows and butterflies.

Jack Bluntz
                                Last edited by bluntz; 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM.
                                WARNING
                                Stress Relief Device
                                ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Working...
                                X