Do you play with the soundtrack on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
    Such dynamic music would obviously conflict with the original soundtrack - the CD would need to be removed or the .mp3 soundtrack disabled.
    stuffcmd "cd stop".
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Hehe. And to stop mp3 / ogg playback?
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Engines that use files as replacements for the cd tracks should handle the cd commands as if they were playing a CD. (!!!)

Darkplaces does that. I should request it in Quakespasm, I thought it did already, oops. No idea about DirectQ, can't get it to run with Wine.

Comment

I think DirectQ has functionality like that too, since typing in CD stop in the console works

To answer your first Question which I voted on but missed - but what the hell I'll answer it anyway: All the time. I used to never use the soundtrack, let alone know what it sounded like albeit the theme, since i never used the CD. One day I reinstalled quake and decided to leave the CD in when playing - it was a completely different experience for me. The soundtrack was so radically different from Doom, and it was very atmospheric on top of it - I think they are comparable to Diablo 1 in atmosphere, although for the record I like Diablo 1's tracks a lot more. It really adds a slight horror element to the gameplay, and it makes the game make more sense to me (in my mind anyway) since now I associate the gruesome monsters and the environments with the soundtrack.

Your second question - it depends on whether or not i like the new soundtrack - but probably during the first playthrough even if i don't.

Also - can't you just not set a CD track for the level so it doesn't use the CD music? Or are you planning to use that functionality for the music?

Comment

Yup, DirectQ has it. Fundamentally important IMO.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Bloodshot:

The dynamic soundtrack would not be switchable-offable. This because you can't switch off all the sound playing entities in the map afaik.

We actually started doing this long ago - one of ijed's maps has an organ that plays organ music. At least one of my maps plays spooky ambient tunes in some areas.

Not sure if just not setting a CD track works - there might be a default.

I like the original soundtrack, too - but the thing with the organ would lose much of its impact if you couldn't actually hear the organ music. ;-)
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

If you do not use a soundtrack playing all the time, just use the cd command to play your tracks. Good engines would support any filenames.

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                  Not sure if just not setting a CD track works - there might be a default.
                  You sure? Whenever I compile a map without setting a CD track to play in the worldspawn it never plays any tracks for me.

Comment

I'd personally like it if you kept the music as "cd tracks" just because of setups.
                    The organ sounds like a nice touch - couldn't you add in Half-Life-like music switching? In many maps it will play one musical track, hit a trigger it fades out quickly and the new track fades in. So I guess ingame CD switching. We can do it in the console, so I imagine making it triggered by a map trigger would be entirely possible.

Comment

Quake just isnt the same without the soundtrack. It doesnt have to be the original though. Anything with creepy ambient music works.
                      If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

The version I have doesn't have the soundtrack... When I turned the CD Audio on, some school CD for kids my nephew left in my cdrom started to play. ROFL.

Comment

That's how they work
                          Now basically all engines support the soundtracks in ogg or mp3 format.

Comment

Cant believe I only just a couple of months ago started using the cd tracks. It adds a new dimension to the game for sure. The cd was a mixed mode CD, I remember that much, but I sold the CD on Ebay because I already had Quake in my hard drive folder...

Glad the new engines can use them as files on the hdd now, makes it simpler to develop a mod that uses your own new music. Im adding some new music for my mod, and I wonder if it is possible to have the new tracks dl to the client in darkplaces? Long time waiting for them to finish, ya.

Originally posted by sb306 View Post
                            Quake just isnt the same without the soundtrack. It doesnt have to be the original though. Anything with creepy ambient music works.

Comment

i love the quake music aswell as mp1 mp2 and quake2,q2mp1&mp2 abyss of pandemonium malice shrak and others when i got bored listening to one i just change to another

the quake soundtrack is unique with its abused instruments like the sax,strange samples dentist drills,a minute long scream,baby cries and engine sound (maybe carmacks ferrari speeding?) i once fell asleep listen to it on very high volume

if you are under Win7 or Vista or Wine(more likely to get fixed) your CD Audio in quake (and almost every other game) will not loop after 1 time play just go silent
                              i posted a workaround to this problem here: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ista-win7.html
                              Last edited by VGAce; 10-21-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Yep, I've got Quake, SOA and DOE soundtracks.
                                I'm trying to put together the soundtrack to X-Men: ravages of apocalypse, I'm missing tracks 1, 2 and 6. ('data', 'the citadel' and 'into apocalypse')
                                -If anyone has or knows where online these can be found I will ....air hug you.
                                [or at least send a shambler to hug you for me.]

{EDIT: Got all of Quake|SOA|DOE|X-Men:ROA on CD now.}
                                Last edited by Halm_Barte; 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM.
                                ----------------------------------------
                                NIXON'S BACK!!

Comment

Working...
                                X