• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP: Starship

Map Name: Starship
    Year Made: 1997
    Review Link: Quake Map Hotel

Download: starship.zip at Quaddicted

I'll just quote what the review site linked above said about the map in 1997.

Originally posted by Quake Map Hotel
    I defy you to not be awed when playing Starship. This level is drop dead gorgeous. Starship is a benchmark for independently released levels for Quake. This is what Dark Forces should have been! Why? Well if you ask why you obviously haven't played this masterpiece yet. How about lightsabres for starters? These babies glow in the dark and make a buzzing sound when swung. How about gravity fluctuations in different parts of the ship. Ever seen a fiend leap a tall building in a single bound?! It's a riot. How about an actual operating tram/shuttle? ...
    (The site had Winquake-like screenshots ... I didn't feel like taking the time to make my own).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Autor !

Hi,
    I specifically register to be able to make this post.
    I am sad and disappointed that author of these (Alba1,2 included) maps
    is not mentioned anywhere here.
    The Author is the Great Neil Manke.
    If there is Hall of Fame Quake mappers,
    then his name should be First.
    He made superb Quake, Quake II and Half-Life maps.
    Last edited by konic; 05-15-2006, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Konic.

I can agree with your sentiment, Neil Manke's work is outstanding. It seems like every map he's done that I've seen is pure gold.

Btw ... I link to reviews for all of these, I'm not trying to replicate the reviews, I'm trying to encourage off-site visits for those interested in single player releases so players learn where to find more of these maps.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I might add, I do very much care about authors being credited and acknowledged for their works:

This is the "Intro" map running at coop.runequake.com:26003, a map I built less than 2 weeks ago, and every teleporter to every map has the author's name under the map title.

Comment

Neil Manke is overrated! The only reason people know is name is because he was PC Gamer's baby.

I did love the Alba maps though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
            ...he was PC Gamer's baby.
            I must say, - Quite opposite!
            Those guys (PC Gamer) used his name to make magazine more attractive
            They started picking up his name in Half-life times,
            when Neil was already on the top, and well known for his
            Quake (II) maps.
            First time, I think, it was about (Half-Life) Starship!
            Next. Talking about "encouraging off-site visits",
            I would add this one too
            Last edited by konic; 05-15-2006, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
              Neil Manke is overrated!
              Seconded!
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

I agree too, they aren't THAT great looking and the gameplay isn't THAT great. The levels are too short for my tastes... I like big long ones with 150+ or more monsters.

Comment

Working...
                X