Travail - Darkplaces prerelease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travail - Darkplaces prerelease

This is a patching and repackaging of the original Travail for use in modern darkplaces. Got permission from all the requisite parties etc, and now you can play it. Happy easter.

Download (200MB)

This is pre-release, seanstar's given his permission for use of the sauron skins, but would like to wait until his final versions are released. Also there's a couple of bugs the community may be able to help with. What follows is more-of-less directly taken from the readme file:

Differences from original travail:

1. Fixed final level for use with darkplaces (original level could not be completed in darkplaces due to script/spawn problem), thanks to Jack Meacher!
    2. New azoth model from Andrew (Preach) Denner added.
    3. My quake-reforged-edit alt-enforcers (newer version) added for the 2nd and third kinds of enforcers in travail.
    4. Multiple travail packages combined.
    5. Some older models stripped away.
    6. A few models added courtesy of Quake Reforged, fragger, lightning hunter, the Shambler castle team and seanstar.
    7. Handy startup batch/bash files added with lighting adjustment on first run to compensate for lack of 'full lighting'.
    8. Original quake flame models added back in (otherwise any build using the small mod compilation and these maps will have no flames in some places).
    9. .ent and .rtlight files generated for travail start map to properly differentiate from id1 directory start map settings.
    10. Seven's transparent HUD used.
    11. Travail soundtrack converted from .mp3 to .ogg for darkplaces engine.
    12. Jakub's VIS'ed maps and relight files used.
    13. All files extracted from .pak in order to override any files in id1 directory - particularly travail's progs.dat, which is required to complete the game.
    14. Gloss, norm and luma maps generated for all the travail-specific monsters (unfortunately these don't show up as much as they should due to "high" lighting).

Description:
    ==============

This is the best partial-conversion/map-pack/mod I've seen for Quake, and rivals the original game, once you get into it.
    The first few levels feel like your usual space marine thing, but the further you get in... dark and interesting.
    This was released by the Travail team (Travail) in 2007, who have thankfully given their blessing for me to patch/package it for use with the epsilon builds.
    It consists of 3 episodes, 15 levels, plus a secret level - plus it's own (highly atmospheric) soundtrack!
    Great work by the team.

Requirements:
    ===============

To get this expansion to work you need installed on your system:
    * full commercial version of quake installed (ie. full-version .pak files copyed into your id1 directory)
    * a darkplaces build with (at a minimum) the quake reforged bestiary skins, rygel texturepack (or QRP texturepack) and dp pretty water mod in your id1 folder.

Installation:
    ===============

Just unzip it into your main quake directory. To run:
    Windows: (double-click) quake - travail.bat
    Mac: (double-click) quake - travail - mac
    Linux: (double-click) quake - travail - linux x64 glx
    (If you're using a 32-bit version of linux, or want to use the dedicated or sdl versions of darkplaces, edit the bash file.)

Not-quite-bugs:
    ================

1. This game doesn't work with realtime dynamic lighting - most areas don't light up correctly and are impossible to see or navigate - therefore it's been configured by default to be set to 'high lighting' not 'full lighting'. If there is an easy fix for this that doesn't involve creating rtlight sets or editing the original maps, do let me know.
    2. The first level has a lift button - a small square red button - that isn't immediately obvious. I ran around for ages without finding it.
    3. Hi-polygon enforcers (tabun's or other) cannot be used with this mod. The additional hardcoded Travail enforcers are based on the original model and will not work correctly if the .mdl is changed. This is why the .mdl is included in the travail enforcers pk3.
    4. Not all water will be affected by the pretty water mod. This is due (I believe) to the team using different water textures than the standard ones. This is partially by design by the original team, for whom non-transparent water was part of the design.

Sources and thanks to:
    =======================

Travail: Travail
    Monster skins by the Quake Reforged team: Quake Reforged - Bestiary
    Seven's Transparent HUD: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-hud-menu.html
    Jakub's Vis'd Travail maps and .lit's: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...html#post63619
    My travail enforcers (modified from quake reforged enforcer alt - new versions) and red ogre (modified from original ogre).
    Fragger skins: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...load-link.html
    Lightning hunter's classic grunt & Classic Chthon: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...html#post87833
    Seanstar's Sauron Knight and Hellknight: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...ll-knight.html
    My edited "grubby" skin for hipoly wizard (modified from original: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...axe-added.html).

Don't worry about the -medium -high extensions on the end of packages, that's an epsilon thing, for future versions.

M
    Last edited by xolve; 04-05-2012, 10:24 PM.
    There is no Dana, only Zuul

Going to check it out. Thank you.
    If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Link doesnt seem to work. Im doing this from my fone though. That may be the problem. Ill check from a pc.
      If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

I know this is a stupid question, but is this version any more compatible with Qrack? I'm guessing the answer is no.

Comment

Nope, it just makes it all look terrible.
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Yeah, pretty much just focused on Darkplaces for this one.
            I'm not familiar with any of the other engines.
            Download link works, but filesplat can be pretty variable dependent on traffic, so if you get a no-download, probably best to try another time.
            Cheers,
            M@
            There is no Dana, only Zuul

Comment

Wow, just wow... I just finish playing this mod and it's AWESOME!!! Better than Q2, 3 and 4 imho.

I have two questions... I hope somebody could help me.

1. When I kill enforcers they do their usual death animation, but then they appear static floating in the air...
              Anyone have this problem too? It's really annoying when I kill too much of them in the same place, because they block my visibility.

2. Is there any way I could made high res files for the custom textures? I tried to figure out how to, but I'm noob still
              I can't find the custom textures, so I don't know what to do

Anyway... impressive mod. I'll play it again on a harder skill.
              Sorry if my english isn't clear, is not my native languaje.

Comment

Everything is better than Q4.
                Haven't played Travail since it's original release. This should be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Arioch View Post
                  Wow, just wow... I just finish playing this mod and it's AWESOME!!! Better than Q2, 3 and 4 imho.

I have two questions... I hope somebody could help me.

1. When I kill enforcers they do their usual death animation, but then they appear static floating in the air...
                  Anyone have this problem too? It's really annoying when I kill too much of them in the same place, because they block my visibility.

2. Is there any way I could made high res files for the custom textures? I tried to figure out how to, but I'm noob still
                  I can't find the custom textures, so I don't know what to do

Anyway... impressive mod. I'll play it again on a harder skill.
                  Hi Arioch. Impressive indeed.
                  I think you have solved your issues by now, but if not:

1. Don't complicate yourself. Just create another folder with a clean Quake installation, add DarkPlaces, Travail and play.
                  If the error persists, only then, find a solution.

2. The textures are inside the map files (.bsp) in your \travail\maps folder.
                  Just open the maps with an application that handles .bsp files.

Cheers!

Now, thank you, Xolve, for pre-releasing Travail! (and the original authors too, of course! )
                  It has memorable moments and levels.

I'm tired of trying to write in other language... Back to the silence.

PS: [SPOILER] I hope one day, the authors change that demonic wood structure in the begining of one of the last levels and put an immensely wide ladder [/SPOILER]

PS2: Here are some screenshots that probably don't look so good tomorrow but, I'm still on Saturn so... here they are

[SPOILER]Hola mundo![/SPOILER]

Sorry, I've searched in QuakeOne's BB code too and didn't find any spoiler tag active.

[SPOILER]

10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

[/SPOILER]

Last edited by M4CGYV3R; 06-15-2012, 01:58 AM.
                  ░░▒▒▓▓██ Casi EOF ██▓▓▒▒░░
                  ░░▒▒▓▓██ M 4 C G Y V 3 R ██▓▓▒▒░░
                  ░░▒▒▓▓██ EOF =D ██▓▓▒▒░░

Comment

Originally posted by M4CGYV3R View Post
                    [SPOILER]Hola mundo![/SPOILER]

Hablas español?
                    Sorry if my english isn't clear, is not my native languaje.

Comment

Originally posted by Arioch View Post
                      Hablas español?
                      Sí! Veo que vos también!
                      También probé tu agua. Muchas gracias!
                      Last edited by M4CGYV3R; 06-15-2012, 09:02 AM.
                      ░░▒▒▓▓██ Casi EOF ██▓▓▒▒░░
                      ░░▒▒▓▓██ M 4 C G Y V 3 R ██▓▓▒▒░░
                      ░░▒▒▓▓██ EOF =D ██▓▓▒▒░░

Comment

I just started playing Travail(d'loaded from quaddicted) using DP, there are some issues of course. Then I searched and found this thread but... the LINK in the original post is bad!

Does anyone here know where I can get the DP version of Travail, linked in the first post, from? Thanks in advance - damage_
                        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Damage, I think this is the same thing, I may be wrong though.
                          Epsilon Travail Expansion v2.1 - 16/07/2012 download - Quake "Epsilon" Build Mod for Quake - Mod DB

Comment

THANKS a bunch Dead', by it's roughly 200Mb's size I'd say that's it as well... d'loading now
                            Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

The download link is dead
                              I just remember the last level of Travail, I would love to play it again..
                              200 años de mi querido PARAGUAY
                              14/05/1811

Comment

Working...
                              X