Music in the Nehahra mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music in the Nehahra mod

I decided to play the mod for the very first time. I downloaded the package from quaddicted.com and I'm using the GLquake.exe client found in the package (modified for Nehahra) to run the mod.

I would like to ask about the music - I haven't gotten far yet, but the music seems to be absent. I could hear it on the skill selection map, but the first level lacks it.

I have read somewhere on the Internet that the music does not loop, like in the original Quake, but is instead "triggered" at certain moments of the game. Is that true, or am I doing something wrong?

Hello Patrol1985,

Using the repack from spirit´s homepage (quaddicted) ensures that you do not miss any files. So far so good.
    The Nehahra music files are inside the "mods" folder.

You must know, that the individual maps "worldspawn" tells the engine which music track to play, once the map is loaded. You can see the maps worldspawn entries when you open the map with a texteditor for example (because not everybody has a map tool installed).
    A simple text editor is enough. Search for "worldspawn" and you will see the track file.
    You can also extract an .ent file to see it.

The Nehahra start map has NO music.
    What you heard, when playing it is a looped ambience sound file, called: maydn.wav

Nehahra´s first map: neh1m1 uses track "2".
    If you have your Quake CD in the drive or use an engine with music replacement support, it will play that track (from CD or harddrive).
    If you do not have both, you hear nothing.
    So I suggest to either put your CD into the drive or use another engine.
    The engine, that supports Nehahra very good (because its author: LH was also part of the Nehahra dev-team) is Darkplaces. Also the newer builds have no issue with it. I just tested it.

I do not know if the tracks from CD/harddisc will be replaced by Nehahra´s music files during the progress of the map (like you mentioned it in your post).
    You have to test it.

OFFTOPIC:
    Everytime I play Nehahra I am totally impressed about the "run+shoot" feature of the enemies. That makes them so much deadlier.
    Nehahra has so many amazing new ideas implemented and the levels are beautiful.

Have fun with Nehahra and be sure to also play its expansion: Episode 3 - The Tides of War.
    Seven

Comment

Hey Seven, thanks for the reply!

I found the music files, but they are in some weird format (*.xm) so I thought they were designed especially for dedicated Nehahra clients, including the GLquake.exe version I am using. Apparently, it doesn't play them automatically.

I'm not really keen on using Darkplaces at the moment. I just like it "raw", but it probably means I will have to create a CD image with music from Nehahra. Is it possible to burn an image of an audio CD using those *.xm files? If so, what is their proper order?

And yes - I was pleasantly surprised by the level of AI in Nehahra. Enemies strafing and shooting, dodging my bullets and rockets. Jumping down from some higher installations, and alive marines showing up from time to time in order to aid me and create some true team action. All with a very well designed plot. Nehahra is truly a gem!

Comment

XM = "eXtended Module" is a tracker format (usually created with FastTracker 2.0), a file which contains both the melody data and – unlike MIDI – also short samples as instruments. You may be able to play them with all-purpose audio players (WinAmp, foobar2000, etc.) as well as dedicated players like ModPlug Player, which is also able to record them to WAV files (use 44100 Hz sampling rate to make an audio CD).

BTW: The occasional background music in the machinima movie "The Seal of Nehahra" appears to be inspired by "The Sisters of Mercy: Marian"...

Comment

Originally posted by LigH View Post
          XM = "eXtended Module" is a tracker format (usually created with FastTracker 2.0), a file which contains both the melody data and – unlike MIDI – also short samples as instruments. You may be able to play them with all-purpose audio players (WinAmp, foobar2000, etc.) as well as dedicated players like ModPlug Player, which is also able to record them to WAV files (use 44100 Hz sampling rate to make an audio CD).

BTW: The occasional background music in the machinima movie "The Seal of Nehahra" appears to be inspired by "The Sisters of Mercy: Marian"...
          First of all, thanks for the reply!

I know how to play XM files externally, this was never an issue. What I want to know is how to play them through a quake client, so the proper track is played during a given level. I want to listen to it just like the designer "intended it to be".

Comment

Well...

If the client supports it, use it as level track directly. If not as XM, then maybe as MP3 or as CD-Audio track.

Some module players are able to export their playback as WAV file; from there you can convert it.

Comment

I thought about it, but I don't know the correct track numbering, as it's not apparent from the file names (don't know which goes first, etc.). If anyone has a list, I would be grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrol1985 View Post
                I thought about it, but I don't know the correct track numbering, as it's not apparent from the file names (don't know which goes first, etc.). If anyone has a list, I would be grateful.

Hello Patrol1985,

Be sure to use the "search" function of this forum.
                There has been a lot of discussion about Nehahra already.

Start to read from here and you will maybe find what you are looking for.

Regards,
                Seven

Comment

BIG thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X