X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP: Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief - by Matthias "Langsuyar" Worch
    Download Link: From the author's site

Playing through this episode this morning, for the first time since I started playing Quake again last year, it was hard to believe that this was made in 1997. It really feels like a polished episode, with the sense of atmosphere that many mappers fail to acheive.

The 9-level SP episode for Quake that got me my first job in the gaming industry. Back in its days this got over 10000 downloads in the first two days.
    Can't say I'm surprised.

He was definitely aware of modern ways of playing. There's even one part which has Rocketjump Protection :-)

However, it also has many brutal traps, which might put some people off playing it. But hopefully not...
    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

I liked the original thread more, had 'mystery' to it, aka "whats his view?"

He has since worked on Unreal2, Wheel of Time and other games... His work in Unreal 2 was awesome.

I liked the secrets in the maps, usually didnt find quite 100%... good monster balance and variance, and the episode supports deathmatch and coop properly as well.

I dont recall any nasty traps except for on The Seal of Secrecy really, which was the 'light puzzle', and that was only nasty because it kept double teleporting me so I would briefly be in safety, then back in the room of death and thus, die. It did this in DP, Fitzquake, and Winquake.

Also in These Deepest Feelings, the secret map, when I picked up the gold key... it just retracted the bridge, I had nowhere else to go. Shy of a rocketjump (which you dont have the weapon for yet) you cant do it. Could try a grenjump but... youre on a grating... thatd be tough...
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
      I dont recall any nasty traps except for on The Seal of Secrecy really, which was the 'light puzzle', and that was only nasty because it kept double teleporting me so I would briefly be in safety, then back in the room of death and thus, die. It did this in DP, Fitzquake, and Winquake.
      And the trap that it disables is just as nasty.

I played using Joequake earlier, and it teleported me into a wall. Just tried it again using DP and it did the double teleport thing.
      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Every engine Ive tried it in, the teleport doesnt work... the .map files are available to the public, I guess one could investigate manually to see whats going on.

Comment

The teleport_destination is jammed into the right wall, that's all. Move it out from the wall and it'll probably work in any engine again.

Comment

I'll have to try Beyond Belief sometime. I haven't played it.

(Btw, I hid the duplicate thread of this. Looked like it double posted.)
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I haven't played it.
              O_O
              O_o
              o_O

Seriously man, play it now. Now. Its awesome, in a subtle way. You could replace episode one with Beyond Belief... and it would work. It just fits so well into the id maps, though with a higher level of polish and a few more tricks... It is cleverly derivative and very awesome.

BTW, that duplicate thread had a request for removal, it occured due to an error with the Preview button apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by aguirRe
                The teleport_destination is jammed into the right wall, that's all. Move it out from the wall and it'll probably work in any engine again.
                This one?

Code:
                {
                  "classname" "info_teleport_destination"
                  "origin" "1663 -1423 -186"
                  "angle" "180"
                  "targetname" "traptele"
                }

Comment

Yes, replace origin with this and it'll work:

"origin" "1630 -1423 -160"

Comment

Originally posted by aguirRe
                    Yes, replace origin with this and it'll work:

"origin" "1630 -1423 -160"
                    I can prolly think of a much more interesting place to put it

Comment

try '867' '530' '9'

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                        try '867' '530' '9'
                        Umm... No

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                          I'll have to try Beyond Belief sometime. I haven't played it.

(Btw, I hid the duplicate thread of this. Looked like it double posted.)
                          omg! come back only after you played it 3 times, young man! till then you're grounded!
                          one quake to rule them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquashark
                            omg! come back only after you played it 3 times, young man! till then you're grounded!
                            Yeah, I have been increasingly harassed about the fact I have not played this one yet.

I better do it to get ppl to stop that.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

/BUMP
                              We plan to add this episode to RQuake for the next release, we'll see how it goes

Comment

Working...
                              X