Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incoming Internet Sales Tax....

Internet sales tax: What you'll pay, and when - CNN.com

Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

-_-;

Comment

basically from what i heard was this would be a flat tax so small buisinesses would know how much tax to pay to each state that their buyers were from.
      Depending on your state u might pay more or maybe even less in online taxation.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Damn it America, you had ONE JOB.........
        I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
        But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
          basically from what i heard was this would be a flat tax so small buisinesses would know how much tax to pay to each state that their buyers were from.
          Depending on your state u might pay more or maybe even less in online taxation.
          You must have heard wrong, unless I did. Basically, this forces businesses to collect local sales taxes based on where the customer is located. So if I have an online store based out of Wisconsin, I normally would only charge sales tax to Wisconsin customers. With this law, if someone from California buys from my site, I'd have to charge the appropriate sales tax based on the customer's location in California. So now small businesses would be required to maintain the correct sales tax rates for 45 states (5 states have no tax), DC, and Guam. Within those states, there's hundreds of different rates based on zip codes. They'd have to register with every single state and file appropriate tax paperwork based on each state's requirements. This bill is just ludicrous. Someone like Amazon may be able to handle this, but a smaller business without the appropriate resources or staffing will end up getting screwed out of this.

Tax data is not cheap to come by. The company I work for subscribes to a monthly tax data service to obtain all the current rates each month for the entire USA. The excel file has over 41,000 records in it. In addition to basic tax rates, some states have tax free weeks where specific item categories do not get charged sales tax. Then there's some states who charge sales tax on shipping fees and some who do not.

Comment

my family lives off of online sales and i dont see why i shold be a tax collector for a state that i do not live in. i do not use the roads schools or anything elce in your state so why do you think that i should be your tax collector. i only hope that the under 50 employees loop hole sticks and we are exempt from collecting the taxes. i can see why a big online stores would want this kind of tax. they have the money and the man power to handle this kind of change where a small seller like us dose not and it pushes us out of the market place. corporate America already killed your local downtown stores with there wallmarts and home depos and there comming after your small time internet shops next.

Comment

Well its being assumed this bill won't pass the House. The Republicans have a voting majority in the House (I think, I stopped paying attention to politics last year), and the pundits are saying the Republicans are against this bill... I guess we'll see shortly...

Comment

Well of course they want more taxes...
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Eventually taxation reaches a critical mass where it has stunted or killed the very source of it's income. So, what's the next major source of income after the internet? Or do we sink into one of them there global financial meltdowns? Because I heard those are fun!

Comment

There wasn't a sales tax in place? Weird...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiney View Post
                      There wasn't a sales tax in place? Weird...
                      State sales tax on online purchases / eCommerce.
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                      X