Nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia

I love Quake for many reasons, one main reason is the nostalgia that I attach to it. I like to remember the times when we used to spend nights in some poorly lit basements, playing Quake and "destroying" the source code, creating basically unplayable but oh so fun mods.

After some years there were only two of us left, a friend of mine and me, doing this, loving this game, it's style and it's simplicity.
    I recently returned to Quake to remember these times.

Now this memory is "poisoned". Two weeks ago I received the message that this friend of mine I used to share the passion for this game with, decided to end his life.

I'm at a crossroad now. I have to chose to either leave Quake forever and to keep and honour the memories the way they are, or to seriously pick it up once more and finally finish what we started over 10 years ago.

Sorry for my ramblings, I needed to share this
    The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Hi Ink
    I'm sure I can speak for most of your friends here in Quake land and send our deepest condolences on the loss of your friend in such a tragic way. The memories will always be with you and perhaps for you to carry on enjoying it might be what he would have wished. I hope that in time you can come to terms with it and carry on with something that he was a part of and enjoyed so much.

Kind regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

i think its time to make some new quake memories.
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Hi!

Special moment... can you let us know who was your friend??

Comment

I think what mark is asking is "What was he game name" in case he played online and someone here knew him. Which I doubt, as back in the day when Quake came out, more people played on LANs in school or in the office than they did online.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

as back in the day when Quake came out, more people played on LANs in school or in the office than they did online.
            He did play online, if I remember correctly. But I didn't, so I don't know what his online-alias was.

I googlesearched him and I found lots of stuff he did on Sourceforge. But I couldn't find anything Quake related. I guess his contributions to the quake world are lost and forgotten forever
            The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
            - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Use Quake as a remembrance of the great times you had with your friend not a representation of their tragic end.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkshock View Post
                He did play online, if I remember correctly. But I didn't, so I don't know what his online-alias was.

I googlesearched him and I found lots of stuff he did on Sourceforge. But I couldn't find anything Quake related. I guess his contributions to the quake world are lost and forgotten forever
                I'm sorry to hear about your loss, even more sorry that you're lacking some info that you probably would prefer being able to remember, like his quake alias.

If you would like, I am happy to help you work on documenting any and all information that we can dig up via the internet and the way back machine , etc.

Quake has tightened many nut and bolt friendships over the years, I know I'm apart of many nut and bolt friendships created and fully maintained via the multiplayer community. We should never look at Quake as something to be ashamed of, mark my words if and when I go, I don't want people to quit enjoying this game because I'm not in it anymore.

Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                X