Are... You... Stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are... You... Stupid?

Some time ago I extracted several Quake models, turned them into Papercraft, & I listed them here for download: Quake Papercraft Models/Figures

Unfortunately some douche decided to start selling them. Douche... I say unto you: I know who you and your idiot friend are. You are both members of this site. If you two knock jobs don't stop now... your ass-kickings are coming, you leave yourself open to lawsuits for selling property that is not yours to sell.

I've added the following addendum to the original post, I didn't originally, because I thought it should be obvious, id (or now its parent company) owns all of this, I don't, you don't, the douche(s) don't. Etc.

id Software owns all rights to Quake, its models, textures, trademarks, & so forth. These models are non-profit and are not intended to be sold at profit, unless sold by id Software. At the request of id Software, or its parent company, these works can be removed at any time. The models below were extracted from the original game, as is, without being changed. As such they are the intellectual property of id Software - the papercraft listed below is simply the work of a fan, and should be seen as such.

Thank you for your attention.

Who is selling them? PM me the info... if it's referenced here, I will remove/ban the users immediately.

Comment

QuakeRoot im not saying they should do it or its right but props on doing a project worth steeling!

Comment

I did a good searching about that and found nothing.

But what about if QR would say... he is called "Solecord"?

What I want to say is banning anyone based on siimple accusations is not right...

Comment

R.I.F.
          Sol said "If its referenced here".
          Meaning if they posted about it, in which case there would be evidence to point to, and its not just heresay.
          Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

What gnounc said.

Comment

gnounc.
              cnuong.
              cgnnou.
              counng.
              nugonc.
              gocunn.

hi.

Comment

*scratches head*

...hi?

Comment

Your name is cool.

Comment

thanks, i'm rather partial to it myself

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                      Who is selling them? PM me the info... if it's referenced here, I will remove/ban the users immediately.
                      Sorry for the late response.

I walked into a local comic book store and they were being sold there. They'd made some rather impressive print outs, they'd put a bit of work into it. i bought a couple and compared the polygon piece separations, they were identical to mine.

I asked the owner and he said they were brought in by a friend of his... I tracked the "friend" down and he is a fairly frequent member of this site. He'd been selling them, along with a few other things, to Comic Book retailers, Head Shops (I thought that was rather weird... Quake, being sold at Head Shops?) and a couple Video Game outlets.

At this point, it doesn't matter who he is. There were blunt words spoken. He's not going to be selling property that isn't his to sell. He know I'm going to kick his ass far quicker than any lawyer sent by ID.

Comment

@QuakeRoot - You know how to make paper models and he knows how to sell them. Seems like you could have a lil mini-business if you reconsidered your view. As far as the legality from Id's end goes, I'm sure there are ways to manipulate legalese to your benefit.

1) Put the doll in decorative packaging. Sell the packaging and include the doll for free.
                        2) Create a license which stipulates that a license to borrow the doll indefinitely is $5.99
                        3) Have a demo-box that displays all your dolls and includes a waiting list. Charge $x.xx for the assembly and delivery of a free doll

You could even mix 1 and 2. The packaging could be the indefinite borrow license. Actually that's the most nefarious and questionable thing I think I have ever thought. You could apply this mentality to almost any product, ever.

Sell a service or agreement and give the doll away for free. Actually, your guy could do this whether you like it or not and there would be nothing you could do about it. As long as the actual doll is advertized as being free, you're f.ucked.

edit: Here is another idea

1) Make a cardboard package that depicts your doll at actual size
                        2) Attach a voucher to the packaging in such a way that redemption information is not accessible without purchasing the package
                        3) sell vouchers for free doll redemption

This way is maybe the best. The doll itself is not even present at the point of purchase. You could make thousands of vouchers and never make a doll til someone redeems it. If you got really industrious, vouchers could be handled by a website that tries to sell people more stuff. Kinda like when you buy a soda and they direct you to some website where you input a key that is printed under the cap. Essentially you are selling keys and giving away products for free.

"Join our site for $5 a year and receive access to tons of free products that we don't have a right to monetize in any other way."

lol
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM.
                        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                          @QuakeRoot - You know how to make paper models and he knows how to sell them. Seems like you could have a lil mini-business if you reconsidered your view. As far as the legality from Id's end goes, I'm sure there are ways to manipulate legalese to your benefit.

1) Put the doll in decorative packaging. Sell the packaging and include the doll for free.
                          2) Create a license which stipulates that a license to borrow the doll indefinitely is $5.99
                          3) Have a demo-box that displays all your dolls and includes a waiting list. Charge $x.xx for the assembly and delivery of a free doll

You could even mix 1 and 2. The packaging could be the indefinite borrow license. Actually that's the most nefarious and questionable thing I think I have ever thought. You could apply this mentality to almost any product, ever.

Sell a service or agreement and give the doll away for free. Actually, your guy could do this whether you like it or not and there would be nothing you could do about it. As long as the actual doll is advertized as being free, you're f.ucked.

edit: Here is another idea

1) Make a cardboard package that depicts your doll at actual size
                          2) Attach a voucher to the packaging in such a way that redemption information is not accessible without purchasing the package
                          3) sell vouchers for free doll redemption

This way is maybe the best. The doll itself is not even present at the point of purchase. You could make thousands of vouchers and never make a doll til someone redeems it. If you got really industrious, vouchers could be handled by a website that tries to sell people more stuff. Kinda like when you buy a soda and they direct you to some website where you input a key that is printed under the cap. Essentially you are selling keys and giving away products for free.

"Join our site for $5 a year and receive access to tons of free products that we don't have a right to monetize in any other way."

lol
                          I just can't get behind something like that... not saying that it's not interesting. I can't help but think... this form of salesmanship would have a very short shelf life. The law would catch up fast, if not a law, then billion dollar corporations with their million dollar lawyers that can tie your time in knots. Time is money. Time not spent on business.

Appeal after appeal after appeal... Regardless if you win and win, it takes time (& money-good lawyers aren't cheap); A LOT of time to fight semantic sins in court.

I don't think this methodology is sound.
                          Besides, as I said, this is the work of a fan, the products are meant for fun, not profit.

Comment

Thing is, we've got copyWRONG, intellectual property and patents all wrong at this point.

Originally a creator was to be granted a temporary monopoly for a limited time and THEN... derivative works were to be allowed to further the creative process. But with BIG business involved they want to lock up all the content indefinitely. That way they can keep rehashing the same idea's over and over and... if anyone is "caught" infringing well... money for nothing.

EX: You now why in movies or at restaurants they don't sing "Happy Birthday to You"? Because it is bogusly copyrighted and you have to PAY! The song brings in TEN MILLION a year, WTF!

Happy Birthday to You: The Lawsuit - Forbes

I'm pretty fuckin sure cardboard cutouts of Quake models ain't hurting friggin' Id, Zenimax or anyone else related. It's just that our way of thikning of these things is fucked up.
                            Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

so true damage, i hate that they have laws to copyright living things WFT its genetic code you cant own that shit!

Comment

Working...
                              X