Quake vs. Doom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake vs. Doom!

Ok, id software kept Doom the same all the way through as far as story and feel where they took QUAKE as being originally dark full of monsters like Doom and turned it into Star Trek with Strogg AKA THE BORG!!!!!!!!!. Am I the only one pissed and let down by this??????
    Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

I can't go back and change my feelings for the Quake series because each game has a different place in my nostalgic heart. And at the time I never thought of it as an issue.

That being said looking back, it's incredibly weird that they would would completely change the look, feel and world of Quake as it went along.

I find it even weirder that the 2 most recent games (Quake 4 and Enemy Territory) were Strogg based and they still haven't gone back to the medieval style at all! And last I read, Zenimax said no to doing another Quake in that style. It's like they want to forget it exists.

Comment

Good Point.

I really want them to get back to their roots but I would by lying if I was to say that Quake II didn't cut it for me. When I first kicked the game on and that rocking ass music track Kill Ratio started playing by Sonic Mayhem I sat down and played the entire game.

Comment

Quake vs Doom?

Doom.
        twitch
        wew lad

Comment

yeah its a shame ID decided to go with a generic scifi-base with cyborgs theme for quake2 and up, instead of continuing with the lovecraftian theme of quake1

but ah well... nothing you can do about it i guess.
          just stick with quake1 and forget about the existance of those other games which bare the name of quake

and seeing as none of the original members of ID are part of the team anymore and ID was taken over by bethesda,
          i doubt we'll ever see another quake at all, let alone one in the wonderfull medieval lovecraftian style of quake1

i also love doom though, especially with the brutal doom mod its just pure madness

ID isnt the only one who has done this though.... apogee did the same with the duke nukem franchise
          just look at duke1 and duke2, they were set in scifi themed worlds and had stuff like robots and the aliens in it are more animal-like in general

and then with duke3D they completely changed the theme of the game,
          making it a shooter set in modern-day and turning duke into the sexist guy with the sunglasses that he still is today,
          and the enemies became aliens with guns instead of robots and animal-like aliens.

and of course not to mention all the one-lines duke spews out constantly, 99% of which are stolen from movies and such
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Some people will definitely disagree with me when I say this, but I thought that idsoftware made a smart move... It was smart for them to move away from the dark/medieval/bad religion Quake 1 theme. They moved onto a sci-fi/base theme... It was a smart idea, because if idsoftware kept on using the same style for too long, consumers would be bored. Human beings want change (it's human nature). But I think that idsoftware should go back to the medieval theme (every once in a while). This is kinda like a basketball game... You gotta change your plays from time to time. If you don't, the other team is going to figure out your strategy. But every once in a while, you need to go back to your signature slam dunk.
            "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

The problem I have with that is there's just TOO MUCH scifi/base theme. And as a result, iD ended up falling into the very trap they tried to avoid. Incidentally, what exactly DID the Strogg have to do with Quake? (remember, Quake started out as a RPG where you were a badass named Quake that used a hammer, then it became a Ranger vs. an enemy codenamed Quake...)

I liked the original Doom Trilogy, have a love-hate relationship with Doom II, enjoyed Doom3 for all its faults. Incidentally, Heretic gets an honorable mention, if for no other reason than its gameplay is more brutal than Doom's.

Quake vs. Doom? I like Quake's dark gritty bases, medieval horrors, metallic monstrosities, and Mayan / Egyptian tombs better than Doom. Doom is fun, but just so...stereotypically cliche?
              Last edited by Dr. Shadowborg; 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't recall where) that Quake II was never meant to be "Quake II"... id wanted to give it a different name, but all the ones they wanted were already trademarked so they fell back on "Quake".

Comment

@ettin
                  make that 'ID was to lazy to think of a good new name, and they wanted their new game to surf along on the succcess of quake'

seriously... "all names they came up with were trademarked already"?
                  biggest load of crap if you ask me, and a lame excuse to just use a name of a popular game for a game which has nothing to do with the game from which the name was used
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I prefer Quake's atmosphere, theme, music, physics, weapons, monsters and level design. DOOM is still a masterpiece though.

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                    seriously... "all names they came up with were trademarked already"?
                    biggest load of crap if you ask me, and a lame excuse to just use a name of a popular game for a game which has nothing to do with the game from which the name was used
                    Obviously it was named Quake II because it would sell, they probably would've named it DOOM III if they hadn't thought of Quake II.

Comment

@grim
                      eyup, that was what i meant

using the name of quake for their knew game cuz they knew it would sell just cuz of the popularity of quake1

Comment

D00m
                        Steam: Dirty Panties

Comment

Trademarked names lol.

I think they were just too lazy to create a Marine logo, The Quake logo goes from a dark grungy looking deign to a pretty, slick and smooth logo for the Marine Core. Hoorah! Now Brutal Doom was a damn good game. The gore was crazy insane with blowing monsters up and all the walls covered in blood and blood even dripping off the ceilings. Too damn bad that guy didn't try to make some stuff like that for Quake. That would have been a great mod to add on if your a lover of the hardcore splatter effects.

Comment

there are gorey mods for quake as well

just for example look at dutch's WIP-mod riftquake, and then especially check out the screenshots in this particular post
                            http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post143994

and kleshik also adds quite some gore to quake:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDnhAgo3Y5E

Comment

To Everyone

Why not both?

Comment

Working...
                              X