No announcement yet.

not fair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't it something like a year of proposed engineX release dates before the actual one happened, with an unfinished, experimental engine? I don't doubt Baker is working on something but, I wouldn't be suprised if it is a long time coming.
    Last edited by Anubis; 06-20-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
      Wasn't it something like a year of proposed engineX release dates before the actual one happened, with an unfinished, experimental engine? I don't doubt Baker is working on something but, I wouldn't be suprised if it is a long time coming.
      Iunno, I am doubting that whatever he is working on is merely in the scope of an engine.

I am thinking its a broader scope.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

My guess, considering it is "forced", is a new server. A new server would give him the control to introduce new online possibilities and control. I have seen posts by Baker alluding to new social possibilities. I do not recall exactly what these socially regarded possibilities are but, I opine they will "force" an actual identity and potentially allow the community to somehow dictate a players reputation/level of participation.

This may even be why he stated that people will not like it at first. A new system insinuates that everyone will start at the bottom. I consider that a new server may also require a new engine or a plug-in/update to commonly used existing ones. I wouldn't put it past him to make a .dll that can be dropped in basically any engine folder.

The only thing I can't see is how any of this will truly be forced. The best I can imagine is volunteering to be "forced" by agreeing to use his design. Actually, I don't see where any of this makes much sense. If Quake really is "5 guys pizza", all of this work was done for 5 guys. The best Baker could hope for, assuming any of what I said is correct, is that his system will start a revolution, of sorts, and draw a numerous player base of new people. It is my belief that it would take substantially more than a new server to accomplish this.
        Last edited by Anubis; 06-20-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
          The only thing I can't see is how any of this will truly be forced. The best I can imagine is volunteering to be "forced" by agreeing to use his design.
          Welcome to North Korea, dictated by Kim Jong..... I MEAN!!...

Welcome to QuakeOne.com if you'd like to play on OUR servers please place your right hand in the RFID chip inserter to receive your server pass... Remember... You need a different chip for each server.

Honestly, Bakers made a lot of things and while 90%-95% of his "things" (regularly at least) don't get used I do not blame him. I blame all the people who like to sit in the bathtub till their toes and fingers wrinkle up and the water turns cold.

For the slightly more dense people...

People use old stuff to much/to long and become dependent on their safe zone never being changed/tested which doesn't help progress.

I'm sure Baker has something very significant in the works, I've known him for quite a while now I haven't seem him back down from his claims BUT I have seen people not accept NEEDED change.

I'll list some of the things I can pick off the top of my head Baker's made/achieved...

-Quake launcher
          -Anti-wallhack which practically is a must now for any serious server in the QuakeOne.com server list
          -Engine X a very well rounded engine
          -Possibly the Pyramids of Giza?(ok ok I kid.)

He taught himself how to program though I'm not sure of his knowledge base on programming at this point but it would be well over my programming abilities (at least for QuakeC,C and possibly C++)

It's very possible he's been building up for something he's been wanting to achieve for a long while...

Welcome to Quake 1 Resurrection
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
          X