Maybe I just don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I just don't get it

checked out dmtx.quakeone.com again tonight and there was 14 (fourteen!!!) people in there and the person "in charge" was like... ok lets 5 vs 5 ...

DO WHAT..TF!?!?!

There were more people in there obviously wanting to play!! Mindz you had just joined up...

is it just me? or am I missing something?

Quake 1 is becoming like a closed click... you have to know someone in order to be invited into a game!! It's hard to walk from a game that's been a part of your life for almost 20 years... but people like that are making it easier all the time...

The folks over at Quake Live don't seem to have much of a problem with new players.

Edit: and by the time I posted this and checked back on the server via the Q1 home page there was just one person in there... interesting!
    *I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
    sigpic

The Quake community has always had a huge number of knobs. Sadly the biggest knobs of all are usually the ones who don't realise it.

The problem with Quake Live for me, is that they still haven't implemented some sort of matching system. I absolutely loved freezetag and it's really the only mode I played. The problem is that you end up in a team and get absolutely leathered, and then later you're on a different team and it's boring because the other team has no chance. I really got sick of that, and when I talked about this, I was boo'd as someone who only complains when I'm losing.

Comment

Originally posted by unbirthday View Post
      The Quake community has always had a huge number of knobs. Sadly the biggest knobs of all are usually the ones who don't realise it.

The problem with Quake Live for me, is that they still haven't implemented some sort of matching system. I absolutely loved freezetag and it's really the only mode I played. The problem is that you end up in a team and get absolutely leathered, and then later you're on a different team and it's boring because the other team has no chance. I really got sick of that, and when I talked about this, I was boo'd as someone who only complains when I'm losing.
      preface ; this isn't a stab at you!
      How many people have you ever known to complain about winning? lol
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I know... I need to put my big boy panties on... get a thicker skin, deal with it, and get over it... Just play the frickin' game!

I'm surprised no one has said that yet!
        *I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
        sigpic

Comment

most dm players have known each other for 10+ years, they all go there to play against each other. when random people jump on the server, they are stuck on the curb to watch, simply because htye all jump on that server to play among themselves. I know it sucks, but there is no longer a decent FFA dm server or a casual-player server either.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
            most dm players have known each other for 10+ years, they all go there to play against each other. when random people jump on the server, they are stuck on the curb to watch, simply because htye all jump on that server to play among themselves.
            I've tried to get in a game before and they say "GTFO!"

The only people who were playing before me were playing Qtest.

So...
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

There are other servers to play on and sadly enough no one will join you. This whole " idle to play " crap gets old.

I would rather just connect to an FFA server and play then play a team game any day any time.

Comment

Speak for yourselves. I play Quake with anyone, including newcomers.

Quakeman can attest to this, so can SgtPieFace. They are prime examples. I try to include everyone, I've invited Killa (of RuneQuake) to play TDM with me at least twice, and seen him playing TDM since then at least 3 times that.

Soupa once upon a time had this to say about the Q1 community : This community is toxic. He's right, sort of. It is now possible to know EVERY Quake player. There are only a handful of players I don't know, and thats probably due to they don't chat or socialize,and I am a polar opposite.

So, what do you do? Quit playing Q1 because of Players A,B,C,D,etc? Does your experience of enjoyment end because of another player's actions? That is ultimately up to each of us.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

i always said dm needs a pickup mode like old ctf dide
                  where when one connected they filled an empty player slot or
                  they were put in the losing team mew map after each game

done.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    i always said dm needs a pickup mode like old ctf dide
                    where when one connected they filled an empty player slot or
                    they were put in the losing team mew map after each game

done.
                    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
                    even holding the horses face under water =/= drinking, just drowning.

If we was to attempt to setup a different server, catering changes aimed at the novice player, the community that does still exist wouldn't bother, and if they did bother, they would just be a bull in a china shop.

If we forced change onto every ClanRing server currently out there, someone would in all likelihood just setup a server aimed at appeasing the current community and go against the grain, at worse, and at best, everyone would just move on.

now its done

Comment

Working...
                    X