Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    And the best you can do is imitate other people
    Is it wrong that I read that as 'iritate'?
    I suspect my 5-year-old self did too.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
      Is it wrong that I read that as 'iritate'?
      I suspect my 5-year-old self did too.
      Sounds like you have an idea there
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I... donīt know. Free will being an illusion is perfectly possible. We might find out soon that this is the case. And yet... does it matter? After all, we all believe we can do whatever we want (despite the consequences of our actions, obviously). And we frequently do. So, what good is it to know that we were predestined to do it? Did that change anything? If free will is an illusion, then knowing it won't change anything at all. If not, well, it's a moot point.

That is, until we discover that somebody else is manipulating our free will for their own gain, while at the same time causing us pain or suffering. Now THAT's something we should worry about. But if that is not the case...? pffffffffffh. Why should we care?

</cypher>

Comment

Originally posted by Izhido_ View Post
          After all, we all believe we can do whatever we want (despite the consequences of our actions, obviously). And we frequently do.
          Assuming you had any choice in "wanting" to do that "something".

Statistics says this is unlikely.

Most examples of "hey I exercised free will" are a some random 5 minute stupid thing which is usually stereotypical example (i.e. the choice itself isn't unique, but well-known trope).

Like getting drunk and running down a street naked.

Is a juvenile 5-minute long act that follows generic a cookie-cutter behavior pattern actually creativity? If not, how can it be free will?

Doesn't "free will" require creativity (an actual choice must be different) and sustained behavior? And there is no proof we can make anything resembling a random choice.

But yeah, if there isn't free will does it matter if we know? It is a funny question.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@harshness

No worries bro. You're not gonna offend me or anything. We're posting beliefs here, they are in nature contradictory, because everyone has one.

From the King James Bible:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9

That is the gospel of Christ. Plain and simple. No excpetions, no ifs, no footnotes. Jesus sacrificed himself so that we COULD be saved, because EVERYONE sins, which means EVERYONE deserves hell.

This absolutely, by no means whatsoever, implies that I believe we SHOULD sin, or that it is acceptable. But we do anyways. You said yourself that you sin, and don't attempt to fix it. That's pretty much everybody bro. No one is even capable of never sinning again. Jesus made it so we actually could get to heaven, despite our constant, inherent sinning.

The bible also speaks of rewards in heaven for what we do here on Earth. "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works." Matthew 16:27

This does not say we gain entry into heaven by our works. There's only one way to do that as a flawed human being, which I showed above. This says that what we do here will have an impact on what we receive in heaven.

This really boils down to what you subscribe to. I choose to believe that the King James Bible (the original exact English translation of the original Hebrew old testament and Greek new testament) is the absolute, 100% preserved Word of God. Every word in that Bible is there because God wanted it that way.

"The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever." Psalms 12:6-7

You can't pick and choose what to believe from the Bible. If you're going to believe one thing, believe it all, or, like you said, throw it away and forget the whole thing. I ask you, though: how do we know a single thing God or Jesus has done, if this information/history hasn't been accurately handed down through the generations? That's where faith comes in.

I really don't want to drag this out though, dude. All I really wanted to do was suggest that DeathMaster try to get in touch with God about his unfortunate situation, not derail his thread with faith-based arguments (which NEVER end well). However he chooses to do that is up to him, but after all this bickering it's probably the last thing he wants to do now.

@DeathMaster: Sorry this got blown up in your thread dude. I stand by my original statement: try to find God and give it a shot. Seriously do not concern yourself with the details. Don't think of it as religion, think of it as if you're going to a father figure for help/guidance. Just talk to Him and see what happens. It worked for me.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by H1CC View Post
              It's 'trolling hour' (between midnight and 4:00 in the morning, when the people with nothing better to do do most of their 'arguing on the internet' stuff) and DeathMaster is still looking for help.
              I bet he's pained a little by the fact you foks would rather argue about religion than help him with his Depression.
              It's fine. I mean, I suppose it's a little disconcerting, but when a thread goes out of control there's not much to do about it.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Depression is a strange thing. It affects one's thinking, but the person is not likely to notice... after all it's *their* thoughts, right?

I heard an idea that a person has anger directed at oneself. "Why can't I get up on time and be productive!?" Like others have noted, sometimes you need a goal in order to take action. The first time I was in college, I less than half-assed it, but this time around, I'm focused and determined, since my goal is stop working retail jobs for the rest of my life.

Comment

Working...
                X