Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people know how to change their IP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people know how to change their IP?

How many people know how to change their IP address whenever they want, including if you are using cable internet?

/I thought this might make an interesting conversation
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

In Germany:
    Reconnect --> new IP

I know, dumb country...

Comment

Change your MAC address.
      Life is Grand!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmOrAttAk View Post
        Change your MAC address.
        Heheheh
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I can't say I need to do it very often but yes, in england it's a fairly simple process
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I've read some things that I would try if I had to, but I know they're not guaranteed to work (like restarting the modem).

Comment

I believe this is impossible for me. I use my phone as a hotspot. I'm pretty sure there is no way to change my phone IP address. I'm not saying there isn't some majorly hacked up way to do it but, it's probably not worth the time it would take to figure it out, nor would it be worth the effort to (probably) make such dramatic changes to my phone.

However, I could change my IP another way. Just go to the coffee shop 2 blocks away and use their internet. Actually, there are 4 or 5 places within a couple of blocks with open wifi signals.
              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I have Comcast Cable and typically all you have to do is unplug the modem from the power source and the coax cable. Go find something else to do for 20-30 minutes then come back and plug everything back in and boom new IP address. If there is an easier way, I have no clue how to do it and I am sure I could figure it out if there is just by researching it or asking some of my geek friends.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                  I have Comcast Cable and typically all you have to do is unplug the modem from the power source and the coax cable. Go find something else to do for 20-30 minutes then come back and plug everything back in and boom new IP address. If there is an easier way, I have no clue how to do it and I am sure I could figure it out if there is just by researching it or asking some of my geek friends.
                  If you have a router, see what Armor Attack said.

(It's a little funny how apparently things work differently in, say, Europe.)

Comment

I prefer static ips. Hence my freebsd mail server.
                    Why would you want to change it anyway?

If your concerned about abuse, you can firewall problem users.
                    I have entire countries fire-walled lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      If you have a router, see what Armor Attack said.
                      So basically this is how it's done?

http://www.howtogeek.com/192173/how-...linux-and-mac/

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
                        I've read some things that I would try if I had to, but I know they're not guaranteed to work (like restarting the modem).
                        I think sometimes that depends on your ISP. For most people on DSL, they will periodically change your IP automatically just as a security precaution. And that automatic change would work the same way as simply unplugging your modem for a minute. The first couple of numbers in the IP (the subnet) would stay the same, but the last couple would change. I think. Don't quote me on it. Seems to work that way with my ISP anyway.

If someone's looking to hide their identity, there are ways of using proxy IP's to hide the true IP. I've never done it myself, but I've heard of other people doing it within the Quake2 multiplayer community in order to evade server bans and evade having anticheat forced as a requirement for connecting to the servers on their IP. Not sure how it works, but I would assume that data packets would actually travel THROUGH that proxy IP at another location, thus increasing the persons ping and probably making them play even more shitty than they obviously already do since they felt the need to cheat which is what got them banned or forced anti-cheat in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                        X