No announcement yet.

Windows 10 is atrocious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried Win10 on my laptop to see what's going on (it already had 8.1, so nothing of value was lost... though I will say their menu is great for a touchscreen). Normal usage of homework and internet is still fine, but I did run into a couple things that will keep me from upgrading from 7 on my desktop.

One is that the the scrollbars are opposite colors from what I expected, and since the laptop doesn't have a mousewheel, I click and hold on the scrollbar area rather than on the actual bit to drag. It's hilarious every time. I looked for color options, but I found that they removed almost all of them. I did find that scrollbar and other aero colors are not changeable in win7 either, but the lack of any other option except "pick a color" in win10 was a turn-off. Another is that right-clicking often does nothing when I think it should, such as on the wireless network list. Attempting a right click is not 100% effective (since the trackpad IS the button), so I can't tell if there is no right-click menu, or the button didn't work.

I don't like upgrading... I used to use an old version of Opera for years after they switched to using Chrome's engine... and I still use WinAmp. But I can't see a reason to keep XP over 7. I held off for quite a while, but I was holding my system back. The hardware support, alone, should be good enough. Better multicore performance, directX 11... You can't even access all 4GB of RAM if you have it! Now, if you haven't upgraded your system in 15 years, then maybe this is moot... but I'd say you're holding yourself back at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
      I tried Win10 on my laptop to see what's going on (it already had 8.1, so nothing of value was lost... though I will say their menu is great for a touchscreen). Normal usage of homework and internet is still fine, but I did run into a couple things that will keep me from upgrading from 7 on my desktop.

One is that the the scrollbars are opposite colors from what I expected, and since the laptop doesn't have a mousewheel, I click and hold on the scrollbar area rather than on the actual bit to drag. It's hilarious every time. I looked for color options, but I found that they removed almost all of them. I did find that scrollbar and other aero colors are not changeable in win7 either, but the lack of any other option except "pick a color" in win10 was a turn-off. Another is that right-clicking often does nothing when I think it should, such as on the wireless network list. Attempting a right click is not 100% effective (since the trackpad IS the button), so I can't tell if there is no right-click menu, or the button didn't work.

I don't like upgrading... I used to use an old version of Opera for years after they switched to using Chrome's engine... and I still use WinAmp. But I can't see a reason to keep XP over 7. I held off for quite a while, but I was holding my system back. The hardware support, alone, should be good enough. Better multicore performance, directX 11... You can't even access all 4GB of RAM if you have it! Now, if you haven't upgraded your system in 15 years, then maybe this is moot... but I'd say you're holding yourself back at that point.
      I haven't used XP since 2012 or so, at least as a main OS, when my childhood machine died, bless its hard drive.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X