What the hell is going on here!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
    A lot of people have a hard time admitting that I think.
    Indeed, the way of the agnostic is the hardest path. You don't have the soothing comfort of faith to support you through your hardships and you don't even have the satisfaction of thinking you have the answer. But if you can survive that, you emerge stronger and more than ready to take on all the shit life throws at you.

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
    If you wanted to apply belief to rationale alone, agnostics would make the most sense.
    Wow! It's not often that we can hear this kind of words in the mouth of a believer. More props to you, Dutch, you've earned my respect with that sentence alone.
    Last edited by Mugwump; 09-20-2016, 12:25 AM.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Morgan Freeman. Ugh. I used to think he was a pretty smart fellow. But some things he says in one of his latest episodes of Through The Wormhole really bothers me. Maybe he's just merely the host and doesn't have anything to do with writing the dialogue he says, I dunno. But in the episode about religious extremists, he basically says that the best way to combat ISIS is to agree with them and take an even MORE extreme stance so they'll reconsider their own beliefs... which is fucking asinine on it's own, but it gets worse. By the end of the episode he proposes that the best course of action would simply be to ignore them, let them do whatever they wanna do, don't fight them, etc. I gotta slap a big fat WTF label on that one, Morggiepoo. Because they've vowed to actively pursue the infidel and wage war against us until we are no more. They aren't the Viet Cong. They aren't fighting for revolution in their own country. They're waging a holy war for worldwide conquest. If we don't take the fight to them, they'll bring it to us sooner or later.

@Dutch

No problem. I was kinda trolling you for the lulz anyway. I agree that talking religion is a waste of breath 99% of the time. These days, I try to live as if I'm completely ignorant of it. Religion? Wasn't that a really ugly car Toyota made in the early 90's? Philosophy can be interesting, but it leaves little room for the adventure found in hypocrisy, which everyone is guilty of on more of a regular basis than any of us are willing to admit. To quote Doug Stanhope (a drunk who sometimes does comedy), "Your sins are the most interesting thing about you."
      Last edited by Focalor; 09-20-2016, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
        Indeed, the way of the agnostic is the hardest path. You don't have the soothing comfort of faith to support you through your hardships and you don't even have the satisfaction of thinking you have the answer.
        Um. Why?

An agnostic should have the comfort of faith if they so choose.

Agnosticism on wiki -> Leslie Weatherhead - "many professing agnostics are nearer belief in the true God than are many conventional church-goers who believe in a body that does not exist whom they miscall God."

But if you can survive that, you emerge stronger and more than ready to take on all the shit life throws at you.
        Heh. The best way to accomplish this is to have life throw shit at you. Some days are just made for that.
        numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
          Morgan Freeman. Ugh. I used to think he was a pretty smart fellow. But some things he says in one of his latest episodes of Through The Wormhole really bothers me. Maybe he's just merely the host and doesn't have anything to do with writing the dialogue he says, I dunno. But in the episode about religious extremists, he basically says that the best way to combat ISIS is to agree with them and take an even MORE extreme stance so they'll reconsider their own beliefs... which is fucking asinine on it's own, but it gets worse. By the end of the episode he proposes that the best course of action would simply be to ignore them,
          One of my favorite Morgan Freeman roles is Sloan in Wanted - a corrupt, immoral leader trying to keep his ass out of the fire. That speaks volumes to me.
          Having worked with actors, I can say Freeman gets paid to say stuff - not necessarily stuff he wants to say. At his level, I would expect he has some influence on the production over what comes out of his mouth.

Now if he was saying "have the media ignore them", that I would understand.
          In my thoughts, they have gotten way too much free publicity.

If I read your posts correctly -> as an atheist, to what do you attribute the rise of what I see as mass insanity?
          numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

Originally posted by numbersix View Post
            if they so choose
            ...are the operative words here, with an ultra-mega-big "if". You don't shed beliefs just to willingly get hooked on them afterwards. I have no idea who this Leslie Weatherhead is but his/her statement sounds a little far-fetched to me, to say the least.

Wanted was shit compared to the original comics. They managed to keep the same story on the surface while completely reversing its point. Read the book.
            Last edited by Mugwump; 09-21-2016, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Ech.

First off, apologies to bfg. That shit was unwarranted, and I was really tired. No hard feelings, man.

On the subject of Morgan Freeman, I like the man's performances on screen but I'm not a big fan of his opinions beyond the Black History month thing. Since I don't want to get struck by lightning (he IS God, after all) I'll just say that he's a bit of an "existentialist".

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Ballcocks & rubber socks!

time to flush! this thread needs to clean the bowl.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

DeathMaster

Apologies accepted. We're cool.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    time to flush! this thread needs to clean the bowl.
                    We managed to get from BLM to God to Morgan Freeman. Oh boy, what a journey.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

That's the beauty of freewheeling debates...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                        That's just the thing: we don't know whether god is or is not.
                        We don't know if the universe is a simulation. If it is, there is some sort of creator.

This mere possibility creates a paradox.

You can't be scientific and an atheist --- not from the standpoint of reason.

Therefore, a belief in atheism must be rooted in "non-reason" --- in otherwords, it is irrational.

Being an agnostic does not have this logical fallacy.
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@Focalor what is burrito? in spanish burrito meams "little donkey" :0

i did google, are you talking about the mexican food? hahaha, i do not understand the name, maybe in the past was done with donkey beef?
                          @dutch glad to know it! we think the same, even if our words and beliefs are different.
                          Last edited by nahuel; 09-22-2016, 04:41 AM.
                          the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            Being an agnostic does not have this logical fallacy.
                            This is precisely why I stopped being a true atheist to embrace agnosticism.

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                            donkey beef?
                            You must mean donkey MEAT. Although... donkey beef.
                            Last edited by Mugwump; 09-22-2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numbersix View Post
                              If I read your posts correctly -> as an atheist, to what do you attribute the rise of what I see as mass insanity?
                              If YOU see a rise of mass insanity, I assume YOU would already be attributing it to something. How the hell should I know what you attribute the things you see to?

Nevertheless... if you're talking about the whackos on the news protesting and busting windows and stomping on cop cars... there's really one explanation for that behavior: Stupidity. And two quotes hold true.

1. The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

&

2. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I am always happy to help non-english speaking persons learn new things.
                              A burrito is type of sweater vest made from banana peels.
                              In my country when courting a young lady, it is always customary to wear your finest burrito and punch her in the chimichanga before you lick her chalupa.

Comment

Chimichangas!

Comment

Working...
                                X