So... seen any good movies lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... seen any good movies lately?

For reasons I assume are associated with 2016's lack of good theatrical releases (minus Shin Godzilla, which was absolutely amazing), I noticed I've been subconsciously going through a lot of my favorite movies over the past few days, sitting down and watching them fully. Just last night I saw Fight Club, and this afternoon I sat down to watch Trainspotting. I don't see a thread like this on here, so if figured I'd make a post out of it. Anyone see anything good as of late?

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Dr. Strange. That movie was REALLY good, and I recommend seeing it in the theatre in 3D if you get a chance. Perfect balance of action, plot, and comic relief.

Comment

I haven't seen this one yet, I need to go before 3D cinemas stop playing it. Civil War was pretty cool too.
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

They used to churn out so many good movies you couldn't keep track. The last 2 years, I've been pissed off. Like in 2015, there were maybe 3 good movies the entire year. And the Star Wars movie wasn't a "new" movie, but a slightly different old Star Wars movie.

Even as recently as maybe 2014, the lack of good movies wasn't close to a problem.

Now it's all shitty cartoon movies, a shitty super hero movie, something like Fast And Furious 14, and comedies with a "has-been" like Robert Niro or some miscellaneous Fat Guy.

I haven't seen anything that I'd call great this year (Deadpool was fairly good) but if you like Seth Rogan ... "The Night Before" was insane!

I never saw a movie like that one before --- never!
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

There is more difference in Star Wars VII than people like to acknowledge. The similarities were primarily superficial but the core of the story is very different from any other film in the saga.

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
            There is more difference in Star Wars VII than people like to acknowledge. The similarities were primarily superficial but the core of the story is very different from any other film in the saga.
            The plans are lost.
            A robot is important. They can't find the robot.
            Robot ends up in the desert.
            A young one with the force.
            A bad guy wearing a helmet with an altered voice.
            The guy in the helmet kills a good guy.
            The deathstar gets attacked.
            The bad guy escapes.

Come on, I could beat on that dead horse from now until Tuesday.

I recognize the value of such a movie for people wishing to relive their past. And for making something with modern effects that might draw in the little kids who expect see set pieces and effects better than SkyRim in a movie.

The movie definitely had a target audience.

Another movie that had a large audience was Avatar --- the 3D blue people movie.

Both of those movies had great effects and might have even offered a great experience.

But they didn't bring anything new to the table in the "story content department".
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              The plans are lost.
              A robot is important. They can't find the robot.
              Robot ends up in the desert.
              A young one with the force.
              A bad guy wearing a helmet with an altered voice.
              The guy in the helmet kills a good guy.
              The deathstar gets attacked.
              The bad guy escapes.
              Yes, and these are only plot points, not the story itself.

Comment

I quite liked:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_IhWE4LP0"]Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.[/ame]

I mean Eva Green, say no more, right?

I am looking forward to this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM"]Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets[/ame]

I like Luc Besson's work.
                Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWM0ct-OLsM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBdeE7mzED4[/ame]
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Miss Peregrine: How is it compared to Burton's recent output? I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done after Big Fish.

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    I mean Eva Green, say no more, right?
                    I never understood this thing other men have with Eva Green, like she's melting their pants or something.

Sausage Party: Probably a film that you DON'T want your kids to see if you want them to still eat anything afterwards...
                    Last edited by Mugwump; 11-17-2016, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I recently watched The Philidelphia Story. I watched the entire thing so, I can say it at least held my attention. I watch kung-fu movies primarily but, finding a new one that isn't complete bullshit is very hard. My last 10 or so kung-fu purchases left me pretty ticked off. I'm actually pretty much to the point where I'm not willing to gamble even $5 on a new kung-fu fluck cause chances are it wont be worth a dime.

I could write a list of easily 20 new or practically new kung-fu movies that you should never waste your time on. If you jydged by the cover and the description you would think "this cant be that bad" oh trust me, its fucking terrible. The misleading covers is what pisses me off the most. I have "Donnie Yen" movie that Donnie Yen is practically not even in... yet he is on the center of the cover. And the mivie is terrible from beginning to wherever I couldn't watch it anymore.
                      Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-17-2016, 08:53 AM.
                      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Are you sure about the title? All that Google seems to know about The Philadelphia Story are a 1940 rom-com starring Cary Grant and an apparent remake (?) from 1959 starring Christopher Plummer. Also, is it "real" combat or some wire-filled acrobatic nonsense? I hate the latter.

BTW, you probably already know about this but I've heard of a new film about Bruce Lee. I hope it's good.

Comment

@BFG666:

sausage party is not a kids you want any child to watch, ever!

sausage party is very much an adult movie, full of swearing, sexual innuendo and adult subjects like drug-use,
                          dismemberment & murder, and its filled to the brim with offensive jokes... oh, and there's actual sex

any kid that would watch it would be scarred forever, lol
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            They used to churn out so many good movies you couldn't keep track. The last 2 years, I've been pissed off. Like in 2015, there were maybe 3 good movies the entire year. And the Star Wars movie wasn't a "new" movie, but a slightly different old Star Wars movie.

Even as recently as maybe 2014, the lack of good movies wasn't close to a problem.

Now it's all shitty cartoon movies, a shitty super hero movie, something like Fast And Furious 14, and comedies with a "has-been" like Robert Niro or some miscellaneous Fat Guy.
                            Agreed. I think Hollywood has managed to use it's money to paint itself into a corner. The average budget it takes to get a movie made these days is ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY INSANE. The money they typically spend on the CGI in the opening credits alone is obscene. They've spent everyone else right the fuck out of the market. Regular unknown people with new, fresh, interesting ideas for films can't possibly compete at the box office with films that have 10,000% more budget than them. And these established production companies are spending sooooo much money on these films that they aren't willing to risk making a movie that might not perform so well at the box office. So because of money, they feel like the best option is to churn out some rehashed crap where people know exactly what to expect from it so they'll be more willing to buy tickets. They just keep turning out the same kinds of movies over and over and over, because that's what the people are buying.

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                            Sausage Party:
                            I saw the big 4 or 5 minute long trailer for this movie on YouTube back before it was released. Then I saw the movie when it came out. And lemme tell ya... if you saw that trailer, there's no need to see the movie. Literally all of the best bits from the movie are in that trailer. I would advise anyone to simply to watch the trailer on YouTube and save yourself the 2 hours it would take to watch the whole movie. Really wasn't all that funny. I couldn't really recommend it unless you're just totally bored and you've already seen absolutely everything else.

I've seen a couple decent movies lately. For comedy, Central Intelligence with Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart was pretty funny. It's your typical standard format sensible guy and crazy guy odd couple kind of comedy movie that they've made 1000 times before (like I said earlier, they churn out the same thing over and over again, sigh) but this one still keeps you interested and brings the funny all the way through. I typically don't like Kevin Hart at all, I think he's an overrated and mostly un-funny comedian, but his style fits perfectly into this movie.

The Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling was pretty good. Kinda gritty and noir stylistically, with some black comedy sprinkled into it sparsely.

10 Cloverfield Lane is a good one if you want to jump up and down and scream "WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SEE!!!???!!!" at your TV. I dunno if I'd qualify it as a "good" movie. I saw it several months back. And even after this long, I still don't have a fucking clue what I should think about this movie. It's pretty nuts. And I really can't even go into detail about "why" without possibly spoiling it for anyone else. So... maybe see it, or maybe don't, I dunno, haha. It's just crazy. That's really all there is to say about it.

As for last years movies, The Hateful Eight was terrific. Definitely worth a watch.

The Revenant was pretty good too.

Sicario was a really good one that I think didn't get nearly enough credit.

Black Mass was THE SHIT! Johnny Depp's portrayal of Whitey Bulger did a great job of making him look like the sociopathic bastard that he really was. My only gripe with the movie is that I don't think it really told the most interesting part of Whitey Bulger's story. It pretty much starts towards the end when he's already the top boss in South Boston and forgets about his early days and his rise to power within South Boston's Winter Hill Gang.

Comment

I too saw 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Nice Guys. Great movies, it's a shame they didn't have good box office draw. I've yet to see the Hateful Eight.

...no one saw Shin? Aw man, I'm alone in this world...

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Working...
                              X