Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Have Quake Level Design Handbook CD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Have Quake Level Design Handbook CD?

Sadly I bought this
    Quake Level Design Handbook Matt Tagliaferri: Books
    which NEVER came with the dam CD! SO you know what they are offering me?
    15 cents! (Yeah 15% refund!) Thats a insult!
    Anyhow- Does anyone have the CD they could winzip up and upload?
    id LOVE to start Making Levels! its POINTLESS to have the book without CD!
    I'll even show u the Book on Yahoo Webcam in case your worried about Pirating it to me! I bought this as as GIFT to MYSELF for Christmas! I WAS going to make a couple levels beofe I go back to work.
    TY Guys!
    Ill check my email for new posters..ty

**UPDATE: They had a change of Heart and sent me a email stating they are giving me a Full refund.
    Thats Great but I do not have the CD that was attached on back of book.
    Last edited by uzi9mmauto; 12-23-2011, 03:50 PM.

I had that book back when it was new, with the cd. The program on it, qED, is what I've become accustomed to, and I'd use it today to make another level. That is, I have the program still, but not the cd.

I might recommend going with another program such as QuaRK or Worldcraft. I couldn't switch because qED has a really grouping/tree system that allows me to work efficiently. Since others make nice levels with those programs, I'm sure they're good in some way I haven't figured out.

Comment

I think its QEd2 actually. Theres a 3 out there but speaking of Quark and all. I have NEVER used an editor before. I own Qoole CD and it has tutorials too.
      I get stuck a lot as the tutorial are good for the experienced but not me.

A book SHOULD explain things that a 2 minute video won't. I am spoiled by "FPS Creator" which a 1st grader can ace levels with. Ive read that Quark is the leading Editor for both Quakes. (It does something that the others don't, and prevents a certain error from occurring)
      *maybe you know where your CD is? lol -What you have is likely regular Qed?
      Going from what i've read- QE2 and Quark are the likely ones i'd use. Speaking of Editors!
      Everytime I try to run QEradiant 1.14 it crashes. Have you ever used that Editor?
      Since I have the book and thats what I was SUPPOSED to have- I want it.(The Editor CD) Yunno?
      Thanks for Replying
      Last edited by uzi9mmauto; 12-24-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

My qED is the 1.X series (I backed up the previous 1.0 and 1.1 versions). I've long lost both the book and cd, and kept just the program folder. I even kept the sample maps that are used in the book, you lucky dog.

Download here. I've uploaded what I have, with some extra things I've accumulated along the way, like map decompilers (bsp2map.exe and winbspc.exe), some wad texture packs, etc. qed.exe is the newest version.

The map compiling tools I have are aguirre's updated tools, so the options in the build window (press F9) are incomplete. To get around it, I tricked qED into calling qbsp.bat which both contains the options I want to use and will run the three programs, even though qED thinks it's running just one. If that's too complicated for you, delete qbsp.bat and rename realqBSP.exe to qBSP.exe, so that you can use the build window normally.

IM me if you have any questions.

Comment

Awesome Thanks! I was looking through the documents and I usually get a Jumpstart on things. The maker of that program only has ONE site and its /http://www.3dmatrix.com/ The BIG problem is- he (I'm assuming) put Robots.txt
          on the server. Which means the Web Archives at Internet Archive: Wayback Machine are told NOT to scan the site. Therefore ALL history and good information is gone FOREVER.
          Even though the site may be off after years. You can STILL download some files even after 10-11 years for some reason! In the very least get the original file name and find it on another Server Index.

Well its not the case with 3dmatrix.com - quake - Is that where you ordered it from? What im going to do with what you gave me is look under the .exe filenames. I MAY be able to get the Updates for you and I to v2! We'll see. Thanks again for the Files !
          I'll drop u a message on PM.

Comment

Good News!

I just got a CONFIRMED E-mail (Confirming my answer) that the other book by a new vendor HAS THE CD!! SO it SHOULD have the 1.1 patch (You have already) then the Upgrade to v2.0 (Which ill send to you with ENTIRE CD)
            along with anything else I don't remember yet..

**UPDATED: 12/24/2012

While i'm here on this topic.
            Quake and Quake 2 Editors
            Index of ./Quake Editors/MODS etc

P.S. to anyone 'else' reading this. Feel free to browse and ADD files in proper places if you'd like.
            Last edited by uzi9mmauto; 12-24-2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I got the Book and cd today! CD was CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Ill get back to you if Im not arrested for Murder or assaulting Someone..

Last edited by uzi9mmauto; 01-04-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Man, you're having great luck there!

I believe you only need qED 2.0 for Quake 2 stuff.

Additionally, if you replace the map compiling programs (since Quake2 uses a different bsp format) and add in entities to qED's entity lists (some time ago, I found those lists for the rogue/hipnotic mission packs entities, in the Entity folder), then I don't see why qED 1.1 wouldn't work.

One thing I did want to mention is that I found qED has a limit on... filesize, I think it was, for opening/saving files. When I made a map of all the deathmatch levels together, I copied all the maps into one map. Then, I was able to group them to offset their distances so there was no overlaps, but I couldn't save/export the file. I was able to get around it by exporting two areas at a time and literally copy/pasting each of these .map file contents into one file. So, don't plan on making Warpspasm-sized levels with it.
                Last edited by Zop; 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

You mentioned a there is a limit on filesize. I believe it starts from qED light or Lite. There was a restriction indeed and the # 30 comes to mind.(I dont know what the 30 was Brushes or what) I remember getting a popup warning about this. (Am i thinking of the same thing?) I also was reading and seen on the Crushed CD- There is a "qED Special Edition Editor".. DO you recall about that or think it will help with the Limit? I think Ver 2 takes care of more issues.

I have a File that Converts Quake to Quake 2 Maps (.BSP I believe) if you'd like? Well I ordered a 3rd book and asked they put the book in a BOX. (I told them what the other vendors did) They seemed nice and were very understanding. I am waiting for the Broken CD Vendor to email me back. We'll see where that goes. (Should be ok) Well its time for the Shower and get to the Gym at 5am in 7 hours. Thanks again ZOP!

P.S. I seen your signature- it mentions RUNE QUAKE- is that where colored symbols offer different "powers" and Weapons? I seem to forget what version I played was called that was for QUAKE 2 YEARS ago Maybe 4 or more? Am I off-track or on the right one? Are they one in same for both Quake and Quake 2?

Comment

Yeah, I remember that. The qED light version has a limit of the number of brushes. The limit I'm talking about is an error that happens when the above situation happens on the full edition of qED. The averagely large quake map won't get to this limit, so I don't forsee a problem any time soon.

Runes are scattered randomly in the level, and can do simple things like double your damage, or odd things, like tossing a vortex into a room. There was a rune quake for quake2 some time ago, but I doubt it's still being worked on. (Even quake3, if I recall correctly.) On the server list on the homepage of this site, you can see a runequake server listed, called 'Shmack RQ'. It runs the latest and greatest runequake for quake1.

Comment

So the old Quake 2 Rune for example is simply a MOD one could run at home and host a multiplayer. I'd be curious enough to maybe run one myself. There is someone I know that has a Nice Cable Connection. Id like to rent time at his house with a extra PC.
                      Let me know if there are ANY places to RENT Quake 2 online anymore? The regular Quake 1 has plenty of people behind servers but Quake 2 dont. The "other" quake site "Quake2.com" is NEVER updated since 1998 and uses a old IRC chat room. Wow its 25F outside and I need to start the car up.Alrighty- ttyl

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
                        There was a rune quake for quake2 some time ago, but I doubt it's still being worked on.
                        I think I may of made a Mistake on the Quake 2 server. I called it rune quake.
                        I was just looking at a rune game and thats not the one I played and want to play again. What was different was that they were NOT actual Runes/Symbols , Plus where Brightly colored. I used to LOVE getting the Invisible Rune!
                        Take out a enemy walking up behind them instantly.

ZOP , Check this out:>> In that Quake 2 Online Server. What one would see would be a item that looked like a old Torch - it was in one color- like orange for example. They would come back or leave if u were not fast enough to get it.
                        I forgot what its called? I remember going to a website and downloading their "mod" and then jumping on their IP. Our Character would at times turn a certain color when "under a objects influence".. You had Quad Damage,"slow motion",Speed etc I hope this helps!

TYVM

Comment

Unfortunately, I barely played Quake2 online, so I'm not the one to ask, but it sounds like you needed to download the special models to make it work (eg, the torches).

Comment

I'm from Connecticut , what state you in?
                            P.S. I got a refund on 2 books now.. (cause of their CD incidents) Email just
                            came in informing me. -ok- I'll tty soon

Comment

I'm in California. It's hella cold here: 45 degrees farenheight!

Comment

Working...
                              X