I love QUAKE, so I can hate YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love QUAKE, so I can hate YOU

This is not a thread for finger pointing, although I regret that it may become that. It's my hope that this can simply stand as a voice of reason and end up making a positive change.

__Primarily we are a community of people that all love the same game or some aspect of its possibilities. I am a member of a number of forums. On some of these forums I stand alone as practically the sole contributor (in a beyond posting sense). This is the only community I am involved in where contributors and contributions are so plentiful and versatile that no one or two people can claim it is all because of them. The concentration of talent and skill here are dense indeed.

__This is something that we all should be very proud of and proud to be a part of. I think for the most part we are, but regardless of how much we have to be thankful for, there seems to be a problem that some still have to find something or someone to be "unappreciative" about. Why? With so much going on here why is it important to focus on the faults of others? Why do you hate your brother and refuse to recognize him as such - simply because you do not agree? Why is taking the game away from your brother so important?

__In a community where the developers are plentiful, but the gamers are dwindling, I would assume that we should embrace all of those which care to be a part of it and do not have a proven track record of maliciously ruining it.

__I am a member of another group that plays another game. Our game is not open source and it is literally being taken away from us. I know first hand what it is like to lose the game you love and be powerless to stop it. This community has the power to make sure that never happens for this communities game. However, if members of the community keep taking the game away from other members, Quake will go the way of SOCOM and none of you will have a game anymore.

__This is half of the problem. The other half is egos. We all have a personality. We all believe in something. We all like and dislike various things and we all have a right to all of the above. What none of us have a right to, is drawing lines down the community. Who are you (if you) to determine what other peoples rights, beliefs and friends are here? Diversity is strength. Homogenizing a group of anything leaves the whole vulnerable to the same demise. An example of this would be sickle cell anemia which only affects one race (politically polite).

__Instead of finding fault and reason to hate the ones that are here for the same reason as you (which is everyone), how about reversing that mentality and finding reason to embrace them because of it. We are not going to always agree. We are not going to form a utopia. A utopia would be weak anyway as it would entail the same homogenized diversity-killer that we must avoid, but this doesn't mean that we can't make an effort to get along.

__We have some here that make entire posts that are summed up to "I just want to play and you wont let me." What is this accomplishing? How is this helping? We have engine programmers and game developers that spend their time to bring us "wish list" games and they aren't being done any service by others picking and choosing who is allowed to play.

__Power is the ability to make decisions that others cannot change or fight. Strength on the other hand is the ability to stand alone regardless of how much power you are given. Strong individuals do not need to convince others of anything or rely on their opinion. The strong do not derive their value from being accepted. These are the traits of the weak. Ironically, it is generally the weak which have power and more accurately corrupted by it.

__I would choose strength over power every time. Power corrupts and leads to destruction. This is when those with strength overthrow those with power and inherit the power their self. If those with strength are truly strong, they then give the power away or destroy it.

Please reconsider how important you (if you) think you are. History is not on your side.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

amen!
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Actually... it does not work that way too. There is a set of more or less defined rules of what is considered acceptable. For example: in most countries it is not acceptable killing a debtor because it cannot pay. There is no ``drawing lines'' or different views. No can do.

Different cultures and different times change this set of acceptability quite a lot, the infamous Tsujigiri is an example. It was considered an unfortunate normality (like being hit by a lighting) in the Edo period, now the idea itself is aberrant.

Unfortunately lots of people restrict this set of acceptable behavior to ``what I think acceptable'', and I agree with you that is a problem.

When deciding if something is acceptable or not I usually use a simplistic but true to the idea and effective view of Kant work. It can be said to: ``Think a world where EVERYONE do the behavior in analysis. If the world cannot exist or it would be an ugly place to live then it is an immoral behavior. If it would be more or less the same, it is a neutral behavior. Finally if it would be a great place to live it is a moral behavior'' It works fairly well in most cases.
      Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

I see what you are saying, but there is one problem. You are considering the entire world and all it encompasses/ ever encompassed. I'm just talking about right here and us, which is microscopic in comparison. I don't think anyone here wants to be accepted for sacrificing babies to Baal or anything...lol

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the overall differences between us are fairly minor. Europeans feels safe without guns and Americans don't - I don't think this is a deal-breaker on the friendship level (as a current example). Omi is apparently rude (not personally speaking from any experience), Mindz is apparently crazy (I believe there is some truth to this <3 ). However, neither of these people seem to be without heart or conscience. So, somewhere in there is the ability to move past the bullshit (as another current example).

I was referring to quite a bit more than just these things in my OP. Actually I was trying to wrap ALL of it into a neat little ball that wasn't a gazillion characters long and ridiculously explanatory.

Comment

I also agree with tittle but whole wall of text was to painfull to read... someone can comprese it??

Comment

removed up-sizing just for you

I also agree with tittle
            lol

Comment

Since you've decided to quote Omi and the "Mindz is psycho/crazy" , I feel obliged.

My explicit hatred for Kimp isn't unwarranted, and 99% of the people who say im crazy or over-involved with the 'Kimp subject' are the same people who would keep him around for insert reason.... Do a search on these forums for the term kimp , and then take note that Kimp = Problems, started in mid 2009.

There has not been a troublesome player on his scale in a long time, and partially Kimp is to blame for Baker disappearing into the "coding black hole" , as he recognized that the current status quo of "NetQuake" is broken.

Kimp has been sue'd by Baker, and I'm the "bat shit crazy" guy who's trying to eradicate kimp from the face of NetQuake. Kimp used up more "get out of jail free cards" than anyone in the history of Quake1. Retaining/Garnering New players to play NetQuake was creepily kimps actual supposed intentions,constantly trying to host tourneys and other shit but in the same instances,was;

-Social Engineering access to Server Administration controls he shouldn't have had access to.
              -Loading bots,taking them on servers like Shmack.net while there isn't a TDM game going.
              -Evading bans established to keep him out of servers that the owners/administators DIDNT WANT HIM ON.
              -Crashing server's that he was banned on. This shit went on for like,atleast nearly year at Speaknow.quakeone.com ,at one point Speaknow was the CAx server! Kimp gets banned / he crashes server / everyone shows back up / repeat process again.

Kimp dissects Quake1 to seek ways to exploit it. I don't understand how anyone in a sane set of mind can accept Kimp as a positive addition to this community, which leads me to believe CrackDog,Omicron,Tremor,and any other NQ gamer that believes I should take a hike and leave kimp alone,are definately the crazy's.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Since you've decided to quote Omi and the "Mindz is psycho/crazy"
                sorry you took it like that. I was just poking you in the ribs (friendly - hence and <3). Should I have added some flowers?

You're my bro man, relax. For future reference I don't make it a point to call out my friends in an open forum. If it seems that way, you are misreading it (or maybe I miswrote it)

Comment

I know you're intentions are anything but malicious bro. We're cooler than cool. I've known Omicron and Crackdog longer,yet I would easily do anything asked of me by you,and those two could sit and spin all day would be my reaction.

I <3 the Quake community more than you could imagine (I did,after all pester the shit out of my wife until she became a full fledged NQ gamer (CAx mod,exclusive).She enjoys it as much as I enjoy it,and I have plans on annoying my son to the point where he applies his abilitys in other FPS shooters like Borderlands to NQ. I covet Q1 like Gollum covet's his "Precious". Kimp is the type of player that takes away from my Precious,and thats untolerable.

It just gets old hearing bafoons defend Kimp.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

It just gets old hearing bafoons defend Kimp.
                    Well, I definitely wont be doing that anytime soon. I don't know him at all and therefore can't say shit one way or another. I also tend to not stick up for anyone period. I believe a man should handle his own business. If I'm sticking up for, "you" it's because it doesn't seem "you" are capable of sticking up for "yourself" - yet "you" don't deserve the way "you" are being treated. That's why I didn't join the Mindz/Wicked vs Larry war. It would have been like saying you aren't man enough to handle your problems alone if I did. As an aside, Larry never did anything to me and when his posts were finally ruining my QuakeOne experience, I made it clear that I was gonna end him. I didn't need to ban him - I just had to convince all those involved to ignore him. He got banned anyway before I could succeed.

Be a rock bro - rocks have no power, but they generally possess lots of strength. A rock doesn't give a fok what you do, it will continue to be a rock. If you succeed in breaking it - it multiplies and becomes many rocks despite you.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-16-2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X