Baker, no one is going to play on your server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
    I have my doubts that ID will be our knight in shining armor. I mean, its 2012 and it all began in 1996 , this tells me that I would do better to put stock in a Quakeone.com endeavor before I would an ID Software endeavor.

Way more action has taken place under our own roof.
    so u actually think q1.com is going to produce an unofficial quake 5?
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I highly doubt it. You would have to create completely original assets, including models, animation, textures, environments, heck even sounds (and voice acting). Think about the manpower required.

How many mods do you see that have their own voice acting? How many new player models with animation blending, ragdoll, and their own sounds?

How many remakes of DM3 that people actually play?

Good luck.

edit: worst of all, you would have to get your entire hypothetical workforce to agree on things like an art direction (if you think art direction is BS, you're mistaken), and as soon as you start to enforce it, people will bitch and moan because they don't get their favourite pet peeve in the game, and your hair will grow white from frustration, and people will leave.
      Last edited by golden_boy; 10-20-2012, 11:38 AM.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

it might, if there was more coding and less chatting ok, where is the project repository?
        Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
          more coding
          You might want to start with making a plan.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
            I highly doubt it. You would have to create completely original assets, including models, animation, textures, environments, heck even sounds (and voice acting). Think about the manpower required.

How many mods do you see that have their own voice acting? How many new player models with animation blending, ragdoll, and their own sounds?

How many remakes of DM3 that people actually play?

Good luck.

edit: worst of all, you would have to get your entire hypothetical workforce to agree on things like an art direction (if you think art direction is BS, you're mistaken), and as soon as you start to enforce it, people will bitch and moan because they don't get their favourite pet peeve in the game, and your hair will grow white from frustration, and people will leave.
            So all we need is sound talent? HaHa I've known that I've heard R00k tell me about it before. Don't think we all havent had our moments of WTF why can't we...............insert idea.

DM3 , touche. Well obviously some mapper would need to understand what makes DM3 a success. Figure it out / try to emulate that success. Not everyone is DM3 dead enders. I straddle the fence, DM3 is the benchmark currently so guess what I enjoy playing lol
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
              You might want to start with making a plan.
              I got ninjaed, I was answering to syluxman2803.

But, there is a real interest? I think that starting from existing libraries (e.g., ogre, bullet,openal,...) it might be doable with all the talents from this forum.
              The problem I see (similar to what you said), is that it would very difficult to make them work together.

On the other hand, there are already few commercial-like quality games born from the Internet.
              Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

I got ninjaed, I was answering to syluxman2803.

But, there is a real interest? I think that starting from existing libraries (e.g., ogre, bullet,openal,...) it might be doable with all the talents from this forum.
                The problem I see (similar to what you said), is that it would very difficult to make them work together.

On the other hand, there are already few commercial-like quality games born from the Internet.
                Glass is always half full here brah !
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

exactly!
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

i see what u me mindz. omi whines about everything. he rq because he team killed me. blamed me for not using binds...

then oddly enough.. said I wasnt a true ctfer because I didnt play "back in the day" (which I did - lol). not sure what hes talking about there....
                    Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

Originally posted by monoz View Post
                      said I wasnt a true ctfer because I didnt play "back in the day" (which I did - lol). not sure what hes talking about there....
                      this attitude is exactly the kind that we dont need around here.
                      My Avatars!
                      Quake Leagues
                      Quake 1.5!!!
                      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by monoz View Post
                        i see what u me mindz. omi whines about everything. he rq because he team killed me. blamed me for not using binds...

then oddly enough.. said I wasnt a true ctfer because I didnt play "back in the day" (which I did - lol). not sure what hes talking about there....
                        Omicron is good at quake he just fails to enjoy himself.Literally, fails to enjoy himself. Unless what he does IS his enjoyment,then I stand corrected.

Im at DALLAS.quakeitup.com

Comment

Originally posted by omicron View Post
                          It will undoubtedly be an awful, bastardized version of TDM. We will think it is a joke and shun it. Enjoy playing there by yourself.
                          Really? Then why bother to say it. Is this to prove it to yourself? Or to prove it to who exactly? Or to try to have semblance of free will?

You will, in fact, play there. We already know this.

This is your act of defiance before you relent. But we know you're gonna play there.

I know it. You know it. Your friends know it. But I won't rub it in too hard. But yeah, I'm gonna to rub it in when you do. Mostly because you like attention.

But your self-control track record blows.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Mostly because you like attention.

But your self-control track record blows.
                            "

Comment

No, it is fully empty now. As you can see there is no new quake.

Comment

No, it is fully empty now. As you can see there is no new quake.
                                no, but there is the old one!!
                                My Avatars!
                                Quake Leagues
                                Quake 1.5!!!
                                Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Working...
                                X