B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

eyup.... stupid kids nowadays ....thinking they're gamers,
      and then give you a blank look if you mention doom or quake or such
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

That's how I feel about y'all when I mention PONG.

one of the very few things in this world where it is acceptable to put both hands on a knob and play with yourself. Even in public!

Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Well said, Gypsy

I grew on the PC, but I also owned lots of consoles like the NES, SNES, N64, SEGA Genesis...

As a game developer, I have nothing but respect for the gaming medium past and present, and Quake, and all of the id games, have a special place in my heart for introducing me to FPS.
          +Rep! I'm going to the top!

Comment

Times change, get over it :-P~~~

Hell, I remember loading some text adventure game onto a TRS80 from an audio cassette tape... and if you didn't have the volume level correct it wouldn't load half the time!!!

Also, I once had to "upgrade" an Apple 2e to 128K of ram, for over one hundred dollars, to play Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord!

Man that was a GREAT game but sure I couldn't bring myself to play this day and age!!!

And YES... I walked uphill ten miles in the snow to school everyday

Okay, that last part was not true!
            Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
              Times change, get over it :-P~~~

Hell, I remember loading some text adventure game onto a TRS80 from an audio cassette tape... and if you didn't have the volume level correct it wouldn't load half the time!!!

Also, I once had to "upgrade" an Apple 2e to 128K of ram, for over one hundred dollars, to play Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord!

Man that was a GREAT game but sure I couldn't bring myself to play this day and age!!!

And YES... I walked uphill ten miles in the snow to school everyday

Okay, that last part was not true!
              I still loving playing games like that, also games like Rouge using ACSII, but I can't play it for too long...

You forgot walking uphill ten miles in the snow BAREFOOT everyday

Comment

pong ftw, the grandfather of all games

never had a pong-console though myself. but i did grow up with an atari2600.
                sooo much fun, even though the games didnt make sense, looked horrible and some of the sounds hurt your ears

but i remember i could spend endless hours with it. exactly cuz of the reason the games didnt have a story and such and you could just play them on and on without that the game would ever end
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                  pong ftw, the grandfather of all games

never had a pong-console though myself. but i did grow up with an atari2600.
                  sooo much fun, even though the games didnt make sense, looked horrible and some of the sounds hurt your ears

but i remember i could spend endless hours with it. exactly cuz of the reason the games didnt have a story and such and you could just play them on and on without that the game would ever end
                  Yes! Sometimes, a story distracts from the game! In some of my designs, I hardly use a story, I focus on the game play, or the artistic direction, but some games would best benefit from an in depth plot.

This is something I learned from games like Quake, where having a story explained in detail to you throughout the game would hinder the action and stifle the player's experience.

Comment

You BOTH forgot it is:

Walked ?20? miles barefoot, uphill in the snow BOTH WAYS (to school and home)

With physics like that, the first person in space was my Grandfather, and he walked there.

Comment

TRS-80 with a cassette drive - lol. I had one of those when I was 8. It was what started my entire programming future (sorta). The first game I ever programmed was Webster Dines Out. However in this case it was a copy job out of a Popular Computing magazine. I remember that at first it was completely broken cause I left out every "@". I couldn't figure out how to type that character. I pressed the hell out of 2.

My father woke up and came downstairs at 4 am pissed off that I was awake and playing with his computer. He then saw that I had typed a whole lot of the program and went from pissed to impressed. We both took the entire day off from work/school and properly finished the program. That was 30 years ago.

10 print Michael
                      20 goto 10

>run

Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael
                      as you can see I was a programming genius! I think every display computer in Sears had that on the screen at least once a week.
                      Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-10-2013, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                        You BOTH forgot it is:

Walked ?20? miles barefoot, uphill in the snow BOTH WAYS (to school and home)

With physics like that, the first person in space was my Grandfather, and he walked there.
                        Damn, I'm so old I FORGOT how badass I was! pfffft kids nowadays, worthless lil' punks
                        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                          TRS-80 with a cassette drive - lol. I had one of those when I was 8. It was what started my entire programming future (sorta). The first game I ever programmed was Webster Dines Out. However in this case it was a copy job out of a Popular Computing magazine. I remember that at first it was completely broken cause I left out every "@". I couldn't figure out how to type that character. I pressed the hell out of 2.

My father woke up and came downstairs at 4 am pissed off that I was awake and playing with his computer. He then saw that I had typed a whole lot of the program and went from pissed to impressed. We both took the entire day off from work/school and properly finished the program. That was 30 years ago.

10 print Michael
                          20 goto 10

>run

as you can see I was a programming genius! I think every display computer in Sears had that on the screen at least once a week.
                          Good dad is good!
                          I have a pleasant memory of watching my dad build computers as a hobby, one day he caught me (early morning) putting together one and went from pissed to impressed - though we didn't take a day off from school to finish it up, we made it an after school project

Comment

yes i couldnt agree more. i mostly couldnt care less about story, gameplay is 100 times more important, and old games have exactly that.

cuz they had so little or no story whatsoever they could focus fully on making superb gameplay, and you can tell taht from those old games. so much more fun then modern games which try to hard to force some long-winded story on you with all kinda twists and such. those derive way to much from the gameplay

thats why i love ID's games too.
                            'story? who cares about story, we need awesome gameplay' ...and ID games have that <3

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                              yes i couldnt agree more. i mostly couldnt care less about story, gameplay is 100 times more important, and old games have exactly that.

cuz they had so little or no story whatsoever they could focus fully on making superb gameplay, and you can tell taht from those old games. so much more fun then modern games which try to hard to force some long-winded story on you with all kinda twists and such. those derive way to much from the gameplay

thats why i love ID's games too.
                              'story? who cares about story, we need awesome gameplay' ...and ID games have that <3
                              I admire games that don't have any stories... No, I'm serious... Since these games don't have any stories, I can actually imagine the stories. (Imagination is extremely important.) In video and computer gaming, gameplay is a lot more important than storylines. If I wanted a good story, I would watch a movie. Or I would read a fictional book.
                              "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Working...
                              X