Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFFF... id! Y U insert le Stroggs between Q and Q3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFFF... id! Y U insert le Stroggs between Q and Q3?

I don't even like Quake 2! Quake 2 and Quake 4 always seemed like a different series to me.
    Nothing against Quake 2 and Quake 4 but they really should've just been titled somethin' else and use the Strogg logo in place of the Q2 symbol... and
    call it Strogg... then Quake 4 would have been Strogg 2...
    Then Quake 3 Arena would have been Quake 2 Arena and I'd feel better playing Quake 3 AND Quake one knowing at least they were adjacent titles in the series...
    Doom II should have been an expansion pack for Doom leaving Doom III to be Doom II...
    Then Heretic II woulda been on the Strogg engine and Hexen II on the Quake engine and Hexen on the engine of Doom: Hell on Earth expansion pack with its modified Doom engine and Heretic on the Doom engine except
    Hexen II and Hexen would be expansion packs for Heretic... so we'd really actually have Heretic, Heretic: Hexen, and Heretic: Hexen II on the Doom/Doom: Hell on Earth/Quake engines and Heretic II on the Strogg engine...

Then id would have had a whole Pentology of 'id games' of Quake, Doom, Heretic, Strogg, and maybe even Wolf3D again, all having exactly 2 titles in the series, and all using different engines between the first and second titles in each series...
    Even Commander Keen can be split up similarly between Invasion of the Vorticons and Goodbye Galaxy/Aliens Ate my Babysitter/Keen Dreams when you look at it from an engine-based standpoint.
    Bio Menace? Clearly using the engine used in Goodbye Galaxy as if it wasn't clear enough from the almost identical design in the ingame pull-down menu when you pause ingame.
    I mean I know Bio Menace lacks the partially sideways perspective used in Commander Keen since Keen Dreams but there's a cameo of C.K. himself in Bio Menace just as there was a cameo of Duke Nukem (from Duke Nukem's original sidescrolling adventure trilogy) in Cosmo's Cosmic adventure... in like the second of 3 episodes on both games...
    both with the more major francise's 'Hero' in the less major franchise's game... both having to be rescued by the 'Hero' of the other before 'finishing thier missions' in the game THEY are from...
    come on it's obvious! Even Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II use exactly 2 different 'engines', in exactly 2 different 'titles' in the numbering, before the hallmark games that made 'Duke Nukem' what he is today started with Duke Nukem 3D... Those aren't even really by id either and they have some footing in id's engine tech as well!

Then id had to go and fuck up the whole damn thing by making Doom's successor that shoulda been Doom: Hell on Earth into a whole other game in the numbering...
    They already were gonna have had a lotta Doom expansion packs like that whole 'the master levels' experiment and 'the plutonia experiments' as seen in Evilution... why not have 'Doom II: Hell on Earth' as 'Doom: Hell on Earth' instead?
    They could even have rivaled Valve with their Half-Life series by having FIVE game franchise and not just ONE that have 2 different titles and 2 different engines... and more focus on expansion packs for the second one than the first one in general, yet still having expansion packs for the first, just as Half-Life had Blue Shift and Opposing Forces whereas Half-Life 2 REALLY focused on 'expansion packs' after the dawn of the Source engine...
    They could EVEN HAVE rivaled Valve into the FUTURE by already having Quake, Doom, and Heretic with BOTH titles 1 and 2 in the series either done long ago or in the works before Strogg 2 (quake 4) comes out and Doom 2 (Doom 3) is finally finished and released around the time Half-Life 2 comes out...
    So much potential from this running, and yet still subtle, theme in numbering... and they never were gonna have it.
    Damn it...

the whole stogg thing was to be used in a whole diffident series, but when they decided to call the game "quake 2" the stogg were here to stay in the quake universe for better or worse.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Y U insert le Stroggs
      "les Stroggs". Plural.

I like Q2 and Q3, haven't played Q4 and don't want to either.
      The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
      - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

quake 4 is an ok game. it plays nice imo but offer virtually no replay value. its all cliche story and atmosphere but is good for 1 play-thru.
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Please please please do not reply with derogatorily meaningless messages

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
            So you're a 'Thread Troll'... As somone who is so openly an MLP fan, Splitterface, you should know better than to persecute me for my more verbose ways of talking just as you would not have others persecute you for your love of MLP... especailly here, one QuakeOne forums, where the folks are SUPPOSED to be more 'old-school' and thus less prone to the degradation of human communication taking place so rapidly on the Internet...
            If you can't find anything better to do on QuakeOne forums than spite someone else's post while contributing nothing of your own to the conversation then I'd ask you to take it to something more akin to the comments section of a 'bobbing for applecats' video on YouTube...

Comment

Originally posted by H1CC View Post
              I don't even like Quake 2! Quake 2 and Quake 4 always seemed like a different series to me.
              Nothing against Quake 2 and Quake 4 but they really should've just been titled somethin' else and use the Strogg logo in place of the Q2 symbol... and
              call it Strogg... then Quake 4 would have been Strogg 2...
              Then Quake 3 Arena would have been Quake 2 Arena and I'd feel better playing Quake 3 AND Quake one knowing at least they were adjacent titles in the series...
              Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your comments. However, I actually don't see anything wrong with putting the Stroggs (spelling?) between Quake and Quake 3. Quake was great with the bad religion/sci-fi/dark environment. However, I thought that Quake needed a little bit of a break. Every once in a while, human beings like changes (Example: Instead of eating hamburgers, let's eat hot dogs.) [Besides, Ranger, the Quake One hero, needs some time off... He needs to go on vacation. Ranger is a human being, just like you and I.] Quake 2 was beautiful, because it allowed Ranger to have some time off. Actually, idsoftware wanted Quake 2 to have a different name. But many names have already been picked. So idsoftware had to use the title: Quake 2.

ps: I thought that the movements in Quake 2 were really good! Crouching was fantastic. There was so much space for dodging rockets. Quake 2 was great for deathmatching!
              "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Originally posted by H1CC View Post
                So you're a 'Thread Troll'... As somone who is so openly an MLP fan, Splitterface, you should know better than to persecute me for my more verbose ways of talking just as you would not have others persecute you for your love of MLP... especailly here, one QuakeOne forums, where the folks are SUPPOSED to be more 'old-school' and thus less prone to the degradation of human communication taking place so rapidly on the Internet...
                If you can't find anything better to do on QuakeOne forums than spite someone else's post while contributing nothing of your own to the conversation then I'd ask you to take it to something more akin to the comments section of a 'bobbing for applecats' video on YouTube...
                she didnt mean too come of too rude but yea pony spam and i dont agree.
                My Avatars!
                Quake Leagues
                Quake 1.5!!!
                Definitive HD Quake

Comment

for real? i got nearly 1400posts here and have contributed a ton of stuff to quake, as everyone on here knows.

my post was more meant to point out i found it funny you posted so insanely much big new threads right away, and the fact you used several memes in your thread-name...

how can you expect anyone to take you serious if you use memes in a thread-name and go rage about stuff taht has been said a bazillion times before. we know quake2 and quake4 have nothing to do with quake1, been said by many before you.

anyways, i was just making a joke, cuz of the fact you used memes in your thread-name and wrote such huge posts right away after you joined. so take a deep breath and laugh. so much people who are unable to get a joke.
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

and the fact you used several memes in your thread-name...
                    I thought the quote "less prone to the degradation of human communication taking place so rapidly on the Internet" by someone who earlyer wrote "FFFF... id! Y U insert le Stroggs between Q and Q3?" kind of... odd.

And I like Rainbow Dash, I got a plush Dash a friend of mine made for me
                    So I don't mind Ponyspam.

But to Topic:
                    My guess is that by the time Q2 came out, a "story" like Q1 had wasn't enough anymore to satisfy the audience. They had to change something on the setting for the next title and went a bit more sci-fi. In my opinion they should have changed the setting for part four again, so that Quake would be some kind of episode-game with independent storylines for each chapter. That would have made sense.

Also I don't think Quake 3 would have been a better fit as Quake 2. I think it should have been released without a number at all. "Quake: Arena". It has the gameplay of Quake and is competetive multiplayer, but it doesn't continue any story, nor does it start a new one. It doesn't need a number.

But if I think about it, I never really played the singleplayer part of Q2, we played a lot of Action Quake and the Chaos mod.
                    The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
                    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by me
                      pony spam and i dont agree
                      i kinda jumped the gun on this one, my bad.

its just i have this friend who was part of my clan, and he was a.....brony. how he loved to squeeze something pony related into EVERY post he made on my clan forum. safe to say i strong armed him to tone it down. It was there i developed a distaste for pony posting. so thats why when i saw that pic it touched a nerve.
                      My Avatars!
                      Quake Leagues
                      Quake 1.5!!!
                      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I guess past trolling has taken a toll...

Allright splitterface thanks for clearing that up. Just had to be sure...
                        I know of course your post count is in excess of 1300 to 1400 and from seeing your other posts I was sure you were a genuine contributor to the forums. That's actually what caught me off guard...
                        I've experienced too much on other forum boards of supposed 'reputable figures' with absurdly high post counts... that are actually not only highly unindependent thinkers but are outright subjugative of others for going against their authority and/or the majority's 'ways of thinking' (not sure of any better way to phrase that).
                        I just... didn't want to start seeing the same happen in QuakeOne... where I thought it was safe. You know, more time dealing with nightmarish monsters all around, less time dealing with the ever-present repression against... different ways of talking... by the societal majority...

I'm sure it sounds like some 'anarchist jabber' but it's real issues I've faced my whole life... I did suspect at first you were just pointing out the irony there in the context of memery and 'rage posts' but, again, I really had to be sure.
                        If it means that much to you I actually have taken quite a liking to the MLP fan craze goin' on, not as a fan myself, but more a fan of the psychology of it and the drama it causes. I also figured Rainbow Dash to be more reasonable and not be doing the 'no one cares' trolling herself. Get Gilda or someone bitchier to do that...

Originally posted by Inkshock
                        I thought the quote "less prone to the degradation of human communication taking place so rapidly on the Internet" by someone who earlyer wrote "FFFF... id! Y U insert le Stroggs between Q and Q3?" kind of... odd.
                        You're absolutely right about that of course. I'm actually glad you called me on that one...
                        If anything that was supposed to be a more satirical reference to the way human communicaton is being, well, dumbed down over time and ''there's nothing you can do to stop it! '' as a cliche villain type might say.
                        After all my post wasn't just about the tradgedy of missed opportunities in numbering but has elements of hatin' on the dumbing down of games (see other related threads, there happens to be another one about this in Chat-O-Rama, right now) in there as well.
                        I guess I was just tryin' to take the edge off and give a good indicator to others to, read it all of course, but not take it too serious. Then someone else tries to do the same and I bite them up... just as I would have them NOT bite me up for makin' a less serious joke... and here I was calling them hypocritical in defense...
                        I'm not gonna name names here but it seems having to deal with the grief dealt for so long on... other... forums across the board and across the net really has taken a toll on me.
                        As if that wasn't bad enough I'm actually packing and moving homes soon and in only a few days I won't even be able to use the net. Would have been a dark message to go out on, that even here, it was the same. So thanks for trying to talk it over after I 'got mad' or whatever you wanna call it.
                        Last edited by H1CC; 03-01-2013, 10:30 PM. Reason: Missing quote end tags

Comment

next logical step: post a q2 vid!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwQvacNltE]Quake 2 - Gameplay - YouTube[/ame]
                          My Avatars!
                          Quake Leagues
                          Quake 1.5!!!
                          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

On a motoboard I frequent we have a "place" called the "dumbgeon"... which is exactly where threads like this GO!
                            Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X