Brief Downtime 6/13/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief Downtime 6/13/2013

Sorry for the brief downtime this evening... I am working on some updates to the forum software (on a dev install) and needed to upgrade the web server to newer versions of MySQL and PHP. This was unexpected so I just did it real quick. Everything should be back to normal now though.

i sound like a dick in my last post and i cant fix it! sorry if i sound that way not how it was meant. inside3d seems to be down too. but the wife is calling and i dont wanna stop playing with quake... peace

Comment

I was here for the cataclysm. I survived it, brah. I remember I clicked send and it said "DATABASE ERROR", somewhere in the distance a wolf howled and I could of swore that I felt the cold touch of death on my shoulder. I shrugged it off, with disdain and annoyance as I proceeded to click the refresh button. I watched the headless snake travel in circles for what seemed like millenia, my expectation rising, a small bead of sweat perched on my nose.

Finally, the browser catches something and my heartbeat increases, just for it to be stopped dead in it's beats by the results of my efforts "DATABASE ERROR". I reach for a tootsie-roll as a means to achieve focus while I consider my dilemma. Heat that has poured from the sky throughout the day lofts through my window and caresses my face, reminding me of my mortality. [[I'm lmao]]

I reach for another tootsie-roll just to realize that the only ones left are that strawberry kind that I fuckin hate. I think about my responsibilities and the ramifications of "DATABASE ERROR"..."How will I get my message of QC to the world?" I think to myself with great concern. I look to the morse code machine my Grandfather left me upon his passing. "If I only had a LAN line.." I grumble.

I dash to the basement and begin frantically ripping apart various boxes. "I know it's in here" I could be heard saying periodically. And then BINGO. I tear the device from the box and in my haste a cord gets caught and yanks me like a dog attempting to defy the boundaries of his chains. I quickly recover and collect all of the parts before rushing back to my office.

With great expediency I throw the rig together and plug it in the wall. I turn some knobs and the entire thing lights up like an alarm clock.

-"Bzzzt Breaker Breaker, is anyone out there?"
      ~"I'm here, come back"
      -"Thank God! Look, man, I don't have a lot of time so I need you to listen very closely......"

4 hours later

..."and that's about the gist of it. did you get all of that?"
      ~"FOR THE LAST TIME! GET THE FUCK OFF THE RADIO!"

It was hopeless. My plan was flawed from the beginning. How could I expect a bunch of truck drivers and HAM operators to spread my message of QC? I walked in defeat to my office chair and placed my excellent buttocks in it. I leaned over and put my forehead in the palm of my hands as I convalesced and tried to accept my failure. I am just a man and my current defeat only made it more apparent.

I sit there for a moment nervously playing with the mouse and realize that my screen is brown. "Wait a minute!" I exclaim. I scroll down the page and click "new posts". The page jumps to life with brown and other brown. I am ecstatic! "I am not defeated after all!" I taunt.

And that is how I ended up here just now. I felt it was important to share my adventure and I hope you all can appreciate my determination.

the end.

*this is not a true story
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-13-2013, 11:43 PM.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
        I was here for the cataclysm. I survived it, brah. I remember I clicked send and it said "DATABASE ERROR", somewhere in the distance a wolf howled and I could of swore that I felt the cold touch of death on my shoulder. I shrugged it off, with disdain and annoyance as I proceeded to click the refresh button. I watched the headless snake travel in circles for what seemed like millenia, my expectation rising, a small bead of sweat perched on my nose.

Finally, the browser catches something and my heartbeat increases, just for it to be stopped dead in it's beats by the results of my efforts "DATABASE ERROR". I reach for a tootsie-roll as a means to achieve focus while I consider my dilemma. Heat that has poured from the sky throughout the day lofts through my window and caresses my face, reminding me of my mortality. [[I'm lmao]]

I reach for another tootsie-roll just to realize that the only ones left are that strawberry kind that I fuckin hate. I think about my responsibilities and the ramifications of "DATABASE ERROR"..."How will I get my message of QC to the world?" I think to myself with great concern. I look to the morse code machine my Grandfather left me upon his passing. "If I only had a LAN line.." I grumble.

I dash to the basement and begin frantically ripping apart various boxes. "I know it's in here" I could be heard saying periodically. And then BINGO. I tear the device from the box and in my haste a cord gets caught and yanks me like a dog attempting to defy the boundaries of his chains. I quickly recover and collect all of the parts before rushing back to my office.

With great expediency I throw the rig together and plug it in the wall. I turn some knobs and the entire thing lights up like an alarm clock.

-"Bzzzt Breaker Breaker, is anyone out there?"
        ~"I'm here, come back"
        -"Thank God! Look, man, I don't have a lot of time so I need you to listen very closely......"

4 hours later

..."and that's about the gist of it. did you get all of that?"
        ~"FOR THE LAST TIME! GET THE FUCK OFF THE RADIO!"

It was hopeless. My plan was flawed from the beginning. How could I expect a bunch of truck drivers and HAM operators to spread my message of QC? I walked in defeat to my office chair and placed my excellent buttocks in it. I leaned over and put my forehead in the palm of my hands as I convalesced and tried to accept my failure. I am just a man and my current defeat only made it more apparent.

I sit there for a moment nervously playing with the mouse and realize that my screen is brown. "Wait a minute!" I exclaim. I scroll down the page and click "new posts". The page jumps to life with brown and other brown. I am ecstatic! "I am not defeated after all!" I taunt.

And that is how I ended up here just now. I felt it was important to share my adventure and I hope you all can appreciate my determination.

the end.

*this is not a true story
        thanks for the good chuckle bro. you should write short stories.
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I actually wrote a really long one, but it isn't complete. It's about 40ish pages long (so far). You can tell it is sophmoric, but it's not too bad.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
          X