Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A message to every Quake moder/coder/lover

I just wanted to share my thoughts and some ideas with you

Quake is dying only because to much peoples modding/are making mods with too old skool gfx. Old skool gfx is good for us oldies but not much from us have time to play... and every day there will be less people playing because of the real life... So we should help the young players to love Quake but it will be not so easy. The models are to much "squareish". I dont mean that we need high super poly but a couple polys more would be fine(there is already one thread or two where some guys are improving the standard models, but its not enough). There are many MP maps with good design but they have sh... textures and/or vice versa. We can keep quake alive but we must change our old skool thoughts first because the time is running out and it will bring us nothing. Dont await that some young users will resign from playing BF4 to play q1. We are no more kids and we should accept the standards from the year 2013/2014 if we still want to keep this game alive. We should first improve the quality of the models and maps... and than we could fine tune the particles and other special effects to make the game faster and more playable... one last thing: The moders here should be more cooperative... work together!
    For example a graphic like in Quake live would be for the younger players enough(I have played there very long time).

http://www.quakelive.com/#!home

Am i right? There is only one possible answear. Yes!

Kind Regards Szaone
    Last edited by Sza; 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM.

Hi Sza ONE

I'd like to help about exactly that (below)... please give me a email address or IM / PM me at [email protected] or fan_q1@
    yahoo.com
    hotmail.com

I got all kind of IM ids let me know what your prefer.

Originally posted by Sza View Post
    I just wanted to share my thoughts and some ideas with you

Quake is dying only because to much peoples modding/are making mods with too old skool gfx. Old skool gfx is good for us oldies but not much from us have time to play... and every day there will be less people playing because of the real life... So we should help the young players to love Quake but it will be not so easy. The models are to much "squareish". I dont mean that we need high super poly but a couple polys more would be fine(there is already one thread or two where some guys are improving the standard models, but its not enough). There are many MP maps with good design but they have sh... textures and/or vice versa. We can keep quake alive but we must change our old skool thoughts first because the time is running out and it will bring us nothing. Dont await that some young users will resign from playing BF4 to play q1. We are no more kids and we should accept the standards from the year 2013/2014 if we still want to keep this game alive. We should first improve the quality of the models and maps... and than we could fine tune the particles and other special effects to make the game faster and more playable... one last thing: The moders here should be more cooperative... work together!
    For example a graphic like in Quake live would be for the younger players enough(I have played there very long time).

QUAKE LIVE

Am i right? There is only one possible answear. Yes!

Kind Regards Szaone

Comment

this has been brought up since 2000. Maybe someday someone will make a game like Quake but until then i'll just keep playing what we have.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

@Mom sry but i give my emails to no one. If you want to share some ideas or thoughts, write to me a PM on the QO site.

@Rook I know but "some day" will be too late. Not everyone is like us thats why people stops playing... and the young players have not much respect for the old skool if you know what i mean. They are interested more for foken GFX than for a GAMEPLAY

@Mom & Rook We have here on our site enough (20 users or even more?) very good and talented moders/coders to make it possible... to make a BAD ASS mod. They have very much passion for Quake so it should be very easy. What they need to do is to work together. A simple team work. We dont need a next crash bandicot or a sonic (a game which is looking like a christmas tree) but a game which is very fast, dynamic... which have good looking models, textures and maps... which have a dark and creepy atmosphere ... the rest like a shaders or other effect could be done at the end.
        Last edited by Sza; 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM.

Comment

This reminds me of a couple few posts that I made over the years. Whereas my message was a bit different the general feel is the same. You spoke from your heart, not your mind. Unfortunately, nothing is going to happen. The people need to change before the outcome will change and I don't see that ever happening.

Rep+ for your allegiance though.

edit: apparently, I need to spread rep around before repping you again. So, just know I would if it would let me.

edit2: @A simple team work. - there is nothing simple about teamwork when you have "20" pros redefining a <20 year old game. I'll give you an example. Imagine if Dutch and Seven teamed up. It's true they are both very talented and able but, they are also on completely different paths. Where is the middle ground between them? The more people you add, the middle ground becomes even smaller. The more unpaid Pro's you add the middle ground becomes even smaller.

Let's face it. We all might love Quake and we all might be really talented but we are not really on the same page. R00k modifies QC, I completely rewrite it, Seven overlaps Quake with bling and "mischief", Sock reinvents basic Quake. Talisa makes higher poly items for Drake, Dutch makes more intense animations for Quake, golden_boy uses a BSP hull to encapsulate completely non quake data....it's all over the place.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-27-2014, 08:08 PM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I would have PM you but you probably didn't activated it!??

Originally posted by Sza View Post
            @Mom sry but i give my emails to no one. If you want to share some ideas or thoughts, write to me a PM on the QO site.
            Last edited by Mom; 03-01-2014, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
              This reminds me of a couple few posts that I made over the years. Whereas my message was a bit different the general feel is the same. You spoke from your heart, not your mind. Unfortunately, nothing is going to happen. The people need to change before the outcome will change and I don't see that ever happening.
              Yeah. Thats where it came from. Strait from my heart.

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
              edit2: @A simple team work. - there is nothing simple about teamwork when you have "20" pros redefining a <20 year old game. I'll give you an example. Imagine if Dutch and Seven teamed up. It's true they are both very talented and able but, they are also on completely different paths. Where is the middle ground between them? The more people you add, the middle ground becomes even smaller. The more unpaid Pro's you add the middle ground becomes even smaller.

Let's face it. We all might love Quake and we all might be really talented but we are not really on the same page. R00k modifies QC, I completely rewrite it, Seven overlaps Quake with bling and "mischief", Sock reinvents basic Quake. Talisa makes higher poly items for Drake, Dutch makes more intense animations for Quake, golden_boy uses a BSP hull to encapsulate completely non quake data....it's all over the place.
              You have wrote things that i already know (since many years) and wrote about it in the first post. Thats not a slution for this problem.

Now a couple words from me: They are loosing this way much more because the progress is very slow. They should work together and they should be concentrated on one project or engine... instead to working on 10 different projects at once. I dont know any "Game Company" which is working on a ten (or even a 20) radom projects at once. The game companys are concentrated most on 1 or 2 projects because its cost not much money and they can work this way much faster. Our moders should do it the same way. May be we should make a two teams which will work on two different projects idk.
              They are friends so the team work should be not so complicated. If they cant work together it means they dont gives 100%. It means that they cant simple work in a team. A simple example: If you cant work in a team, you are not able to work anywhere in a REAL LIFE. Every company who gives you a job awaits that you can work very good in a team! Our moders likes different projects but its wrong. Very wrong! I know they becomes no money for his job but it wroks the same way! Team work! We should work together!

Am i right? YES (once again) !

Originally posted by Mom View Post
              I would have PM you but you probably didn't activated it!??
              Sry. I have forgot. I will activate it today. BTW You can write here in the thread too if you want to share your thoughts. It will be even better because everyone will be able to read it
              Last edited by Sza; 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Maybe not everybody knows it, but in fact we have all this already.
                1.) Every model in Quake has been rebuild in High poly version
                2.) Every texture in Quake has been remade with High Res one
                3.) For every texture in Quake we have normal textures
                4.) Every particle and sprites have been remade with High Res particles / sprites
                5.) We have realtime lighting for Quake maps
                6.) Every sound has been redone (even faithful) with High quality sound
                7.) Music is avilable in highest quality.
                8.) Engines (at least 2: FTE + DP) support the complete list above.

There are several Quake compilations available which have all those combined in 1 download file.

You can play every vanilla Quake map who was ever created with the list above.

So, if a young person wants to play Quake in your mentioned way, he can do it right away. I do not see the issue at the moment...

Or was this whole topic more related to a "Free Quake" ?
                Which is rather unimportant, because Quake costs only 5 bucks ?
                For warez pirates even cheaper...

If you need links where to find all above mentioned points, you can find them all here in this forum. Talisa loves to create posts with these links. So she will help you for sure.

And regarding Quake mods with extended assets, this is a different story. As every of these mod has their unique assets. It depends on the modders how they want their assets: Quake style, or Modern style.

Have fun with Quake,
                Seven

Comment

Seven i think its a litlle bit too complicated for you... Okay there are many peoples which like bling bling but its not foken evereything... and you know it! I dont mean high poly... i mean a simple foken cooporation dude... your small mod compilation is bad ass but the people needs more than that. We need a bad ass MP game and its makeable only if we work together... only if we will concentrate us on one or two best projects/engines. I want only good for us! take a look on the poor foken servers! they are empty! Which once again tells me thats i am right! We make very much but its not what the peoples want and its not foken enough!
                  Last edited by Sza; 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

as a young person I can tell you that graphics/content/ect isn't an issue

it's the delivery, and how many young people want to play quake?

I have a hard time getting people on counter strike these days, let alone quake.

"Seven i think its a litlle bit too complicated for you..."

Sorry, what?

You're telling the person who made the game ridiculously accessible and gorgeous for people with no idea what they're doing that they don't understand?

Please explain how you've come to this conclusion.

Also, Qrack and many other servers (proquake comes to mind too) make multiplayer nice, easy and readily available. There are also engines for all sorts of computers and players and many let you connect to the available servers.

That said, I think I do understand your underlying point, it's one I've thought about for a while, but without a proper team effort will not be solved. I can imagine this wouldn't be easy though, lots of quake players have grown up, gotten jobs, married, ect. Quake is a hobby, and it's not easy to have to try and see a project of this size through, when it's only on your breaks and spare time.

I do believe there are people working on this, and I might be joining them soon from the looks of things, but right now, telling people how they flat out don't understand without calmly explaining your point is not helping.

/equally daft and poorly written rant over/
                    twitch
                    wew lad

Comment

@OmacKnight i have wrote already everything... just read it please. I wanted only to share some of my thoughts and ideas with you thats all. The rest is in your hands guys. MG know exactly what i mean... I think he and the Rook and many other people are understanding my words enough good!... wake up! its time to go to the MP... with a big steps. I mean radom player models with good textures(they dont even need effect textures) and couple polys more plus good looking MP maps, plus extra luncher and updater in one... and other sh... once again we should help young users to love quake. The admins here should make some foken challenges or something too... these are only my thoughts which could be helpful. I have seen many games dying... q2 in my arms and many other games... good games dying never!
                      Last edited by Sza; 02-28-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, and underneath it all is probably what everybody is saying. I understand that perfectly.

But I don't think you realise how younger players view quake (we'll say teenage for sake of ease). Which is fine, especially if you're not a teenager, because it's not your demographic then.

But I do agree on the general idea. Though saying to somebody that it's too complicated for them does make it seem like you don't think they could understand. Which I see as incredibly rude. I don't think you meant it that way and I'm sorry for being aggressive but it does come across as a harsh thing to say, especially considering the effort and time seven has put into what he does.

Edit : I must admit though, the fact that I feel I have to say this all proves MG's point.
                        twitch
                        wew lad

Comment

Hi

Hey Sza ONE you know something funny I just realised you want to team up but can't give us a email or allow us to PM you... something is not right at all.

Also Seven... he did exactly what you are looking for lol

You are in trouble hehe.

Comment

Mark went onto saying points I didn't cover, and he did it pretty well I think.

You want a team effort but show no signs of wanting to contribute. I don't really see much in the ways of actual suggestions or developed ideas. Merely a bit of a "we sort of need this to happen to get new players". Which is fine, but you must have had at least some general idea, right?

For example, given the chance, what would you personally want? The more details would be better, even down to how the fov slider works or having custom keybinds on weapons* is fine. It shows enthusiasm and positive dedication to help quake.

*Is it me or are there no engines which let me do that? I've gotten so used to my Q3/Qlive bindings that I press C-N for most my weapons (for non QWERTY keyboards, just imagine using your thumb to change weapons above the space bar) and I also use my right mouse button for jumping, which gives me the space bar for any other function.

I might be overlooking something, but I can't think of a way to make this happen through the interface. (I'm sure I could manually bind them, but not everybody wants to have to do that.)
                            twitch
                            wew lad

Comment

Originally posted by OMacKnight View Post
                              You want a team effort but show no signs of wanting to contribute. I don't really see much in the ways of actual suggestions or developed ideas. Merely a bit of a "we sort of need this to happen to get new players". Which is fine, but you must have had at least some general idea, right?
                              Sry but wtf you are talking about?! I have offered my help many times but some users here have to big foken ego... except some moders (Spike, MG, Talisa, Dutch) who takes my ideas seriously...what will bring you my help if many from us moders dont work together???? do you wanna just foken trolling me around or what... dude

@Mom you should be able to send me a PM idk wtf is wrong there...
                              Last edited by Sza; 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X