• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanx gypsy and primal

@about the models:
    the axe i actually made as replacement axe for use in darkplaces engine

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...other-axe.html

the sigil of gateway i actually made for in second life. for a short period i had a small castle of my own there and i put a couple of them out on small pillars

shotgun i also actually made for in second life as well.

havent uploaded it to main grid though though as ive been sick-ish last few days (and still am) and didnt have time to do so yet as ive been in bed a lot

the pic is a test-upload i did a few days ago (before i got sick) to the beta-grid
    Last edited by talisa; 08-22-2014, 12:34 AM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Ah second life. Never tried that. I believe my brother uses second life. Hope you feel better! Didn't realize I missed that axe model! Ooops! It's sweet in game. The shotgun i'd be interested in for sure! have some chicken soup!

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
        ...ive been sick-ish last few days (and still am) and didnt have time to do so yet as ive been in bed a lot

the pic is a test-upload i did a few days ago (before i got sick) to the beta-grid
        Keep up the good work Talisa.

Just to echo Primal's sentiments, sorry to hear you are felling poorly
        Get well soon Talisa!

When you are feeling better...
        For the benefit of people that have never really got to grips with "importing" models produced outside of ID, and I include myself in this group, how is this done? For example if I wanted to use your axe in Quake, is the process something like..
        1. Get a copy of your model file and make sure if has the correct name used by quake.
        2. Locate the original model file (e.g. axe.mdl)
        3. Overwrite axe.mdl with your new model

I was just curious as I see lots of interesting works from different people but sometimes there are no "idiot-proof" instructions to go with it so even newbies can share in the Quake Eye Candy. (I'm obviously not saying that is the case with your work)

Kind regards

Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 08-22-2014, 02:51 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

@burns
          i always put anything i make inside easy-to-use PK3s
          all you have to do with my stuff is download the pk3 and drop the pk3 into your ID1 folder and it will be used

if you do that and another model for the same item still shows up in-game instead of new one,
          add a few Z's to the start of the name of the pk3 so that darkplaces will load it after any other pk3s you might have which also include replacement model for same item

im glad lordhavoc implented being able to use pk3s, it makes using replacement content a lot easier.
          before pk3s were usable by DP you indeed had to manually drop the files into your ID1 folder and your ID1 folder would quickly become a complete mess.
          but PK3s make using replacement content a piece of cake. just drop the pk3 in your ID1 folder and done!

and thanx, am still feeling sick-ish and hope to feel better soon
          Last edited by talisa; 08-22-2014, 08:20 AM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Wow, this will be pretty interesting when it's ready!

Comment

If you want a nice world model shotty with a hand drawn texture and lots of details you should test slapmaps shotty. A great Quake lover.

Download the shotty including a high res skin from = http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/fi...sg_slapmap.zip

That is his homepage with lots of his other projects = slapmap
              And some of his other weapon models = weapon models - Imgur
              That is real art. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0.

Comment

you need a g_model for an axe?
                i made an axe myself which you could use

That looks nice, not exactly standard issue though. At least not unless I start hanging some of those around the map as decorations...which would be a little O_o on a base map.

and coincidentially i also just finished a shotgun model few days ago

and i happened to have made a low-poly version of it as well for fun

its 156polys, and uses a single low-res texture in the quake-pallette
                Not bad, looks like a Remington 870, some pointers though:

1. Barrel and Magazine tube should be separate cylinders
                2. Skin could use a little work.

Read jim's post to get some ideas for improving your skinning workflow:
                Inside3d Forums &bull; View topic - What are you working on?

That model could work, if I had a matching v_model (with hands and anims) to go with it. Also, perhaps you could beef it up / make it more interesting to look at with a heatshield / barrel shroud on the barrel? You could also increase the polycount a bit too.

and ive been thinking of making a double-barrel shotgun and one or two GL-models myself
                the double-barrel ill be basing on this RL shotgun, and the GL either on this one or this one
                or perhaps ill make em both. the small one would be perfect for an ogre, and the big one for player
                This is actually one of my complaints with the original quake weapons...how come the ranger never has to break is super shotty open to reload it like doomguy has to? The original quake grenade launcher I could suspend belief for, and the M79 gets props for being T2's grenade launcher (and Knee Deep in the ZDoom's), but it also has the same problem when you consider the firing rate of the grenade launcher...it's just a little too much suspension of belief required there.

as for powerups, i happen to have made a necronomicon-symbol (sigil of gateway) model at one point

(model is actually untextured but you can slap any texture you want on it. put this texture on it just to show)

EDIT: made a low-poly version of it for fun (296polys)
                Neat, but a little busy, and perhaps too quake-like? I still think a Hockey Mask would be funny and zany to have, besides it gives me an excuse to get somebody to make whispery "killkillkill" noises for the powerup. Especially if I we could stick the mask on the player model when it's active.

@Henry

Thats some cool stuff there Still looks a bit too quakey though, the g_lance could serve as a laser cannon model with a different skin...

New Seismic Dev thread here:
                http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...ev-thread.html

Comment

about the axe: well i didnt originally make it for quake, i just wanted to make a cool-looking medieval axe
                  and then got the idea to make it usable in darkplaces as replacement for the quake-axe

yep you guessed it right, it is in matter of fact a remington 870 witness protection

the barrel and magazine-tube are seperate cilinders, but as you can see in the pic above they are connected through a piece in between them.
                  perhaps i could make that piece darker, but how i made it is correct, those two parts are connected

about making it look more interesting:
                  i think it looks great the way it is cuz this is how this weapon looks like in reality and i made it to look just like a real remington 870 witness protection.
                  you're free to add it yourself though if you want the model

about skin: yeah textures are my weakest part...
                  as i said i always just use google images to find texture of the kinda material i need which is close to what i want and then modify them to fit and overlay AO-map on top of them.
                  ill have a look at that post you linked for improving textures.

i will add though that i dont actually intend to work with mdl and quake-palette though,
                  it seems kinda silly to me to work with formats with such limitations nowadays
                  i just made that skin just to try it out how it would look, not with any serious intention of making an mdl for quake

about sigil being to quake-like: well it is an actual lovecraftian symbol of course
                  A Serious Magical Discusion: Necronomicon Symbols - PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
                  and as i said you could put any texture on it. i just picked a red texture cuz it makes the symbol look evil

i agree on reloading, ive a bunch of times actually thought about this myself with the SSG in quake.
                  its cool that you can fire non-stop, but a bit silly if you think about it that the ranger never seems to have to reload it at all and can just fire non-stop with it.
                  reloading a double-barrel shotgun also looks awesome if you ask me, its a shame they didnt add this to quake.

Comment

@Talisa
                    You ever do any tuts? Be interested in getting into the basics. I know photoshop pretty well in terms of interface but limited skill usage. Also starting to learn blender as it's a powerful program for being free. Wow we really hi-jacked this post eh? LOL Adding reloading to quake is fairly easy as long as you can add the appropriate animations to the gun model and appropriate time delays to match the animations. Been working on some reload code for Legend and his mod.

Comment

yep you guessed it right, it is in matter of fact a remington 870 witness protection

the barrel and magazine-tube are seperate cilinders, but as you can see in the pic above they are connected through a piece in between them.
                      perhaps i could make that piece darker, but how i made it is correct, those two parts are connected
                      Um, not to be too nitpicky or anything, but those don't actually connect the barrel and magazine tube, those are the guide rods for the bolt which work the action when you rack the slide.

Comment

hmm ok.... on all pics of the weapon i found it looked like they were simply connected by that darker part.

ive actually never seen a shotgun in RL myself so i assumed it was just a bar which connected those two parts.

would you be able to point me to where i can find info on how that part actually looks?

Comment

Here is the Marine Magnum 2011 model disassembled.

This is a side view that shows a more open pump handle. You can see the part in the middle you see in black on most of the guns is actually a small frame that attaches to the butt of the gun and not actually the top barrel. It's kinda a formality. :/

But the one you are modeling looks like the WP870 which is a nice little beast But this is good enough for compare. To be honest, trying to model this type of feature into the gun makes no sense anyway. Sure they are separate parts but once you have the handle on, it's really a none issue in terms of getting it looking a certain way on a model that doesn't even animate reload. I quite like it and look forward to your release! Cheers.
                          Last edited by PrimalLove; 08-22-2014, 09:45 PM.

Comment

thanx, that might help some

i actually do plan to make it able to reload, i kept the pump a seperate model just for that purpose
                            and didnt join it to the rest of the gun so that i can easily move it for animating

so knowing that part isnt actually a bar which connects the barrel and mag-slide but is actually 2 metal bars which are attached to the pump is good to know,
                            and ill def update the model to change that part to be correct

Comment

Working...
                            X