Map Jam 1 - news item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Jam 1 - news item?

The func forum community recently got together and made a Honey (https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/honey.html) inspired 12 map pack which works with standard Quake (no extra mod).

Can someone add this to the front page news?

Quaddicted link - https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/func_mapjam1.html
    Func Thread - Func_Msgboard: Map Jam 1 - "Honey" Theme Pack Released

yeah i saw the pack but was hoping for a better picture cuz at quaddicted they had a crap-pic added to it before.
    good to see some better pics were made so i wont have to make any myself

was just playing the maps earlier to see if the map-pack was worthy of being frontpage news or not.

have only tried the first two maps, but ill add them as frontpage news soon

EDIT: its frontpage news
    Last edited by talisa; 07-07-2014, 06:07 PM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Thank you sock !

That is what happens when great people doing great things !
      Beautiful.

I like the phrase "Honey"-theme

Comment

Nice.

This looks very interesting indeed. I haven't tried it out yet but it looks like a great pack.
        Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

Are these maps compatible for multiplayer?

Comment

It is great to come back here after quite a while to see what's going on and find a release like this.
            dfsp*spirit
            my FPS maps

Comment

@talisa, thanks for the news post, hope you enjoy the new maps.
              @seven, thanks, it was a fun event and the maps should be compatible with your mod.
              @wicked_lord, no, this is a SP only release.

Comment

Multiplayer needs some more good online maps.

Comment

Originally posted by sock View Post
                  @seven, thanks, it was a fun event and the maps should be compatible with your mod.

Hello sock,

I am always happy when I see this :

But most important is that talented and motivated people like you and many others are still enjoy mapping and creating amazing new worlds for Quake.
                  What would we be without mappers ?! Always playing the same old maps again and again, hehe.

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                  Multiplayer needs some more good online maps.
                  You should go here and type 'dm' into the filter. Then click on "Rating" and you will find hundredīs of "... good online maps". If those are not enough, I do not know.

But just like Spike said:
                  It is extremely easy to throw a SP map into ones "maps" folder and fire it up and enjoy it. A DM map is a lot more difficult to enjoy, as someone has to put it on to a server and a lot of players have to join and play...
                  That is why DM maps are a lot more difficult to distribute compared to SP maps. But they DO exist.

Fortunately we have kind people like Mr. Burns, Polarite and others, who always are open and happy to try out new DM maps and put them onto their servers.

Please contact one of these people to try different multiplayer maps. They will fire them up in no time I bet

Comment

@sock
                    sure thing, its totally a map-pack worthy of being frontpage news

@seven
                    agreed, its always nice to see maps that dont include a progs.dat and are thus compatible with the SMC

although personally it makes me even more happy to see either of these

since i am a huge fan of both of those mods as well <3

@wicked
                    the sources of all maps are included in the zip,
                    so you could always just add MP start-positions to the maps yourself
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Great work Sock (and the team). I can't wait to try these out and as a I'm just taking my first tentative steps in to the world of Darkplaces (thanks largely to Talisa and Seven) I'm sure these will look terrific when I get to try them this weekend.

As Seven so very kindly said, if there are some skilled mappers out there who have a finished, or very nearly finished multiplayer Quake map that they would like to showcase on a server then I'm sure we will do our best to accommodate that. Strangely enough there is a work in progress (WIP) categorisation on most of the servers we operate so you can see some of the great maps people like Stalker and Xeno put together.
                      For example, if you connect to bigfoot.quake1.net and then go in to console and type say !maps you will be able to filter down and see the various categories of maps and even play them. That's assuming of course you have your autodownload options set correctly in which case it may even download the map for you automatically and reconnect you to the server

Keep up the good work SOC.

Kind regards

Monty
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

i just played the first map and liked it. had a lot of fun playing with the smc! one thing i would ask as a player with map packs like this is a custom start map. so after a map i can go to the next one with out restarting. a start map with a screen shot of the map would be nice too but at least give the name of the map and the makers name. i will be playing this one a lot more!

Comment

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                          i just played the first map and liked it. had a lot of fun playing with the smc! one thing i would ask as a player with map packs like this is a custom start map. so after a map i can go to the next one with out restarting. a start map with a screen shot of the map would be nice too but at least give the name of the map and the makers name. i will be playing this one a lot more!
                          You could build a start map. I don't see anything about that which you could not accomplish. A room with 12 teleporter rooms which lead to each of the 12 maps respectively. If you want to make it really cool, take screenshots of map areas within each map that would make good reference for you to build a room that accurately represents it's corresponding map.

A lot of work, I know but, it would be good practice. It would be less hard than making something up from scratch though. It's not all that complicated to recreate geometry when you have an image of it. The hardest part would probably be getting the light correct.

I'd start by simply lining up 12 teleporters and getting them to successfully load maps. Once you have that function out the way you can pretty much do whatever you want.

There is one hitch though. I believe honey came with it's own progs.dat and maybe some of these other maps do to. I'm not sure how you would go about jumping from one progs.dat to another while also maintaining a link to your start map. It may even be impossible.
                          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Hello JDStoner,

Baker made a start map, like you described. It can load 104 maps: click me

Another possibility is to play through the "Func Map Jam 1" pack as if it would be a complete episode (maps link between each other). Currently the maps 'trigger_changelevel' targets back to the "start" map, but you could change this via .ent files (fast way) or by editing the map source itself.

This way you will take over all your weapons and ammo to the next map though (no keys) ! Which you should consider.

If you are interested, you can download the .ent files below.
                            Code:
                            The maps are in alphabetical order, like in the original readme.txt:

arrrcee    jam1_arrrcee
                            digs       jam1_digs
                            doomer     jam1_doomer
                            ericw      jam1_ericw
                            fifth      jam1_fifth
                            ionous/mfx jam1_ionous
                            mechtech   jam1_mechtech
                            otp        jam1_otp
                            rickyt23   jam1_rickyt23
                            scampie    jam1_scampie
                            skacky     jam1_skacky
                            sock       jam1_sock

You can start with any map. The map: 'jam1_sock' will load 'jam1_arrrcee' again. So it is a loop.

You need an engine which supports external .ent files.
                            Put the .ent files into the "Func Map Jam 1 - Honey Theme"īs maps folder.

Have fun with the beautiful big scale "Honey Theme" maps.
                            Attached Files

Comment

A start map was in the plans but they ran out of time.

One tip: if you launch through QuakeInjector, it gives you a dropdown menu to pick which map of the pack you want to start.

Edit: Also, QuakeSpasm has tab-completion for certain console commands. So you can drop down the console, type "map jam1_" and press tab to see the possibilities. I would bet that several other engines also support that.
                              Last edited by Johnny Law; 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X