• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with the thread resurrection?

Comment

wo0ow, sooper ceriulaz ruignaw?

Comment

Done! Updated mine! Both profile fields and avatar! Great idea!

Some info could be exposed in the left side of the thread post.

getButterfly - WordPress Plugins

Comment

Oh my jesus!

Comment

I know I'm new to the forums but at what point do I gain access to these features? My profile is lame and unconfigured!

Comment

@ 10 posts, do it now!
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

your profile will still be lame...

What's your favorite Quake rune, brah?
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post

lol.
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post

We actually had a Flash game arcade back at the time of the start of this thread. With a highscore board per game.

The 2 weeks of this site were a rollercoaster. Like FOQ said, we were basically an extension of a previous community or 2.

Except we had mobs of people signing up, no one knew each other and everyone was like "Who are these people?" and it was crazy.

At the time, this meant most of the newcomers would play on servers and I recall Quake going from a low-level of activity (which still meant 10-players at times) to 16 player games where I didn't see one familiar face.

We actually had 3,000+ posts in the first month of the forum and of all the strange things a mostly civil but still deeply rooted "cold war" broke out with Yellow No. 5/R00k/Mindzy versus me/Bam/Phenom. I think Solecord tried to mostly ignore it and we tried to not inconvenience him.

Bank who posted earlier in this thread -- who was entirely awesome -- would ferociously attack me in the forums and in "Quake Radio" broadcasts here. He was attacking me on almost a daily basis. Like really attacking. Of course I played it cool and tried to be of the mindset that I should consider it a compliment.

Fun times. But they had a cost. I was never meant to be perceived as "running the site", but I did ambitious recruiting of other Quake related communities and often jumped in to welcome any of those people that showed up who were to everyone else total strangers.

But back then actually the Func msgboard people and the Inside3D and the online players didn't know each other --- AT ALL. In fact, they weren't even aware of each others existence.

Which of course, seem preposterous today. But in fact at that time, the European NetQuake players were entirely unknown to the American ones, we were shocked they existed.

Baker boring people +1. But, no, like you said --- I'm not "wise". My special power is specifically a lack of good judgment and they do send me in where angels fear to tread. No --- really! You can get good judgment anywhere.

Me and Mindzy combined have enough bad judgment to power the USA for a year. We also had Frenzy at the time and Phenom's judgment at the time was an assist!
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

what happened to the arcade?
                      My Avatars!
                      Quake Leagues
                      Quake 1.5!!!
                      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
                        what happened to the arcade?
                        We had a massive spam bot attack in 2008. Only Solecord knows the scope of what happened with that, but he said it was really bad. The rest of us just experienced the site going down with some frequency.

He had to upgrade the forum and it broke compatibility with many features we had at the time. It was a lot of work to deal with the broken forum features. Except for forum content it was in many ways a full re-boot and a painful one at that.
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                          We had a massive spam bot attack in 2008. Only Solecord knows the scope of what happened with that, but he said it was really bad. The rest of us just experienced the site going down with some frequency.

He had to upgrade the forum and it broke compatibility with many features we had at the time. It was a lot of work to deal with the broken forum features. Except for forum content it was in many ways a full re-boot and a painful one at that.
                          Such is the curse of Vbulletin, just about the time you get things really the way you like them, someone has found a way to ruin your day and the devs have created a new version for you to download, which will upgrade flawlessly but break over half your settings in the CPMS.

These days I think I recommend to most that they run a CMS like Wordpress was their primary content portal and use a shared login plugin for Vbulletin, creating a forums.YOURDOMAIN.com for the actual forums.

That way if you have a forum problem, it doesn't take down the main site.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaric View Post
                            Such is the curse of Vbulletin, just about the time you get things really the way you like them, someone has found a way to ruin your day and the devs have created a new version for you to download, which will upgrade flawlessly but break over half your settings in the CPMS.

These days I think I recommend to most that they run a CMS like Wordpress was their primary content portal and use a shared login plugin for Vbulletin, creating a forums.YOURDOMAIN.com for the actual forums.

That way if you have a forum problem, it doesn't take down the main site.
                            We actually used a different CMS originally and then converted to vBulletin because the CMS was getting outdated. Before the conversion to vBulletin I tested a vB/WordPress plugin to tie in the user accounts, but had some major issues with it. What it came down to was the plugin didn't always work. In testing we had some accounts being set up fine for the Wordpress portion but the forum account was broke (or vice-versa). Tried the same thing with Drupal and had similar issues. In the end, I purchased the vB CMS plugin that a third party dev made and it worked great for our purposes. Had no issues other then some backend stuff breaking (missing images and language files). Plus with vB and some other CMS tool, that means I have to maintain two sets of software when upgrades for one could break the integration with the other. In the end, using just vB was easier to maintain.

As Baker said, in 2008, our forum got listed on a spammer forum. In turn, we were being massively hit by spam bots registering and posting on the forums. I had to shut the forum down for a short period while I removed the spam, updated to the latest version, and added some new plugins to help handle spammers.

Comment

Just checking in, and making my profile picture work. Is the photo upload disabled or is there a step by step instruction set to upload profile pictures in this vBulletin site ?

Graps

Comment

Working...
                              X