Getting back to "normal"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back to "normal"?

Hey all, I've gone through and tried to update all the previous styles for this site. I can see why Solecord lost interest - VB5 basically rewrote the entire interface, so the old styles were useless and a complete re-apply had to happen.

BTW vb5 is trash, I'd never recommend this forum software. I spent a LOT of time getting the site to where it is - the variables are inconsistent - names don't match the use, hardcoded values, or not specified at all. Several "modules" were thrown in, some of which use variables - some don't.

I know there will be places I missed, so if something doesn't look right, drop a screenshot in here and let me know where it is so I can fix it.

A few things to note:

This forum is far from it's old self. I don't see any of the old news articles or archives. It would be a real shame to lose all that.

I can only do what I have access to. There's a bunch of things I'd like to see done:

-Fix styles that I didn't find or gone over
    -Fix the styles that look like shit (I'm not a UX professional)
    -Add SSL cert
    -Upgrade to newest vb5 version
    -Fix the icons ( need a better sprite that's optimized for dark themes)
    -Add old logo or someone create a new one
    -Server Browser needs to be pruned and styled up (I don't know where he code for this is)
    -Bring back the community?
    -Did I mention I hate vb5?

I need Sole's help for some of these

Comment

Thank you Efess.
      You made a huge progress to the sites visual.
      I can only imagine how much work it was after all that you described/explained.
      Best wishes,
      Seven

Comment

I wish I would have known you were doing this. I restyled this site over a year ago to make a personal point that there was no excuse. It took like 3 or 4 hours. Anyway, I could have saved you a lot of time.

Good job.

P.S. favicon
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-22-2019, 06:58 AM.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Good to see someone working on this! Thank you Efess.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
            I wish I would have known you were doing this. I restyled this site over a year ago to make a personal point that there was no excuse. It took like 3 or 4 hours. Anyway, I could have saved you a lot of time.

Good job.

P.S. favicon
            Thanks for favicon. Need sole unfortunately, don't have FTP access.

Comment

I like the old white and blue theme better.
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

[Monty can finally take off his welding goggles..] Thanks Efess, at least a casual visit to good old QuakeOne no longer fries one's retinas It looks quite crisp and fresh so good work sir and once again thank you.

Kind regards
                Monty
                Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-24-2019, 01:50 AM.
                Mr.Burns
                "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

It really does resemble the original QuakeOne Theme.

But honestly I'd say if vBulletin5 is giving you issues; the community is so ingrained and the foundation is all there maybe switch to a CMS that's a little more free'ing?
                  I haven't officially used vBulletin but the upgrade from 4 to 5 just from the sideline looks crippling to websites.
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Comment

Phenom Sole mentioned switching to a different CMS. A few options provide converters for vb5 content, quakeone.com isn't the first community to have issues with it. But I'm skeptical - does solecord have the time/care to do it (I'm willing to help), and will it be worth it - would members care to participate again?

Comment

Originally posted by Efess View Post
                      ...will it be worth it - would members care to participate again?...
                      Hi Efess,

This is just my humble opinion as a lowly quake fan of some long standing, and I freely admit I could be well wide of the mark here, but I would hazard a guess that perhaps 3 of the biggest deterrents for members [re-]investing time and energies in to the site would probably be
                      1. The look and feel (which you have now largely fixed apart from the user CP area),
                      2. The sheer amount of unchecked spam, and
                      3. the "broken" feel of the site (many of the links and features were/are borked, etc).

If these were addressed at the outset we would at least have a firmer base on which to rebuild and attract players and contributors back.

It's probably also worth mentioning that with the sad but imminent demise of MG's excellent NextGenQuake.com site it may be a good time to address these issues and provide the active [but soon to be ex-] contributors over there with a reason to return. I only mention this as it would be a pity to let the small but perfectly formed community over there fizzle out in to nothing.

Kind regards
                      Monty
                      Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-24-2019, 10:48 AM.
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Mr.Burns Glad to hear you think there's merit in keeping this going. I'll do another round of spam cleanups, and style updates this weekend. Didn't see the User CP - good catch.

The "Broken" feel will need help from Solecord.. I'd love to at least get the previous news archive working.

Comment

My admin permissions feel borked :/ sometimes I can post sometimes I can't and I keep having to re-login.
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Comment

@re log in

Check "remember me" and stop logging out. I had the same problem over a year ago. Doing what I said fixed it.
                            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                              @re log in

Check "remember me" and stop logging out. I had the same problem over a year ago. Doing what I said fixed it.
                              Thank you for the tip but I never logout on my pc.
                              It could have been I was messing around with VPN software and cookies got scrambled and cache decided to work a little to good.

QuakeOne.com
                              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                              Great Quake engine

Comment

Working...
                              X