Site Reorganization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Reorganization?

Serious discussion comments only please.

First none of these ideas require Solecord to do anything. These ideas are how to leverage the capabilities we already have here.

The quantity of new creations and potential news vastly exceeds the ability to highlight it all now. Back 2 or 3 years ago, people messing around was lower tech (client settings mostly) and new creations were rather narrow in scope and infrequent (a texture pack here, new single player map there). Today things are lot more diverse.

Today that is different.

Ideas for improvement

1. Forum section dedicated to new creations -- like models, textures, lits like Trickle made, maps, etc. that are NOT works in progress.

And then place the emphasis that a well written new thread that includes MEDIA like a properly sized screenshot is likely to be news'd.

2. A forum section dedicated to works in progress.

3. Forum section dedicated to user contributed how-tos.

4. New servers announcement with clear understanding that a server has to be live for 2 weeks before it will be considered for listing it in the server browser.

5. A wiki. An unfinished prototype is here. No, I don't care if there are other wikis or if other people have something they are working on with a wiki. This wiki will be specifically geared for self-help client setup and showcasing the diverse works of Quake with a moderate NetQuake bias and a moderate bias towards single player mods.

6. Obvious get the downloads section going.

7. WITHIN 1 week ---- ProQuake 3.99 with map download and a bug-fixed ProQuake 3.50 with map download and see if I can talk Rook into defaulting the European NQ map download site.

And in the future, maybe taking a look at how DarkPlaces uses curl and see if I can update ProQuake server to send a cvar to DP upon connect to effectively do the same.

This will solve the maps "problem". Yes, the download section will be maintained but with less emphasis and I might add a capability to ProQuake server to kick non-map download supporting clients (show up with something that works or be annoying about not having the map somewhere else).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I like all those ideas!

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    7. WITHIN 1 week ---- ProQuake 3.99 with map download and a bug-fixed ProQuake 3.50 with map download and see if I can talk Rook into defaulting the European NQ map download site.

URL for auto-map-download: bigfoot.quake1.net/maps

qrack 1.90
    cl_web_download 1
    cl_web_download_url "bigfoot.quake1.net/"
    Last edited by =peg=; 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Maybe you should took inspiration about func_ ( Func_Msgboard: Forum ) for which it is easier to find its way than here... though... it is just maybe a question of habits
      The main idea would be to have endless open thread about recurrent topic (i.e showcasing, new maps, betas, etc...)
      My 2 cents
      What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

This thread is full of win. Go for it, I like the idea!
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

The wiki looks pretty good. Will content be under a free license?
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
            The wiki looks pretty good. Will content be under a free license?
            I was thinking more the vague "there isn't a stated license" or "content is copyright of the respective owners" because some of the media or some of the information is pre-existing work or information aggregated by others.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Some awesome idea, i like the map download one alot as most players are to lazy to go get them
              http://euroquake.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by JPL View Post
                The main idea would be to have endless open thread about recurrent topic (i.e showcasing, new maps, betas, etc...)
                My 2 cents
                I like how func_msgboard has infinite threads on a topic like mapping help, but that philosophy wouldn't work here.

I also like func_msgboard doesn't require registration to post, but again that also wouldn't work here.

This forum is more loose and liberal and due to the format differences, a very long thread here would be BAD.

But having some different defined sections would help control the chaos and maybe the wiki would help avoid infinite deja-vu of similar questions here getting asked again and again.

The prototype wiki would have a find the answer to virtually all common questions on the main page mentality. I think 1 page FAQs rule because info isn't buried. Plus I think the wiki front page should highlight the diversity of all the fun stuff Quake has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  Serious discussion comments only please.
                  Ideas for improvement
                  1-4 Forum Sections: Agreed. Supporting the creative and technical flow of information is important. This motivates more mods, and hopefully more servers.

And in the future, maybe taking a look at how DarkPlaces uses curl and see if I can update ProQuake server to send a cvar to DP upon connect to effectively do the same.
                  #7,
                  I can add multiple fallback addresses also. The main thing about mapdownload is that the folder structure of the server your using must include the exact path ie,

/progs/player.mdl
                  /maps/a2.bsp

not where they just dump all the files into one directory.

Would ProQuake server support the QSG's Extended Builtin Function System in the furture? Frikfile support would be very nice!
                  Last edited by R00k; 07-25-2009, 11:24 AM.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    1-4 Forum Sections: Agreed. Supporting the creative and technical flow of information is important. This motivates more mods, and hopefully more servers.

#7,
                    I can add multiple fallback addresses also. The main thing about mapdownload is that the folder structure of the server your using must include the exact path ie,

/progs/player.mdl
                    /maps/a2.bsp

not where they just dump all the files into one directory.

Would ProQuake server support the QSG's Extended Builtin Function System in the furture? Frikfile support would be very nice!
                    If I connect with Qrack to a CTF server, does it download like star.mdl or what not? I haven't tried lately.

RocketGuy told me that EBFS breaks ProQuake compatibility with qccx mods ... so I don't know for sure about native EBFS or FrikFile in standard issue ProQuake.

Comment

my suggestion: get Y#5 involved again. is it just me or did he drop off the face of the earth? either that or he playing under different names and not posting on here. i remember he got ragged on over a year ago for admining on some ca server, maybe he got sick of it after that and left? but those kind of eruptions occur periodically in the CA community. i think it's a weakness of the mod, that it seems to require heavy admining, leading to discord....

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                        my suggestion: get Y#5 involved again. is it just me or did he drop off the face of the earth?
                        I've dropped off the face of the Earth before (at least 4 times). In fact, I had dropped off the face of the Earth for months prior to Yellow No. 5 emailing like 3 days before QuakeOne.com launched saying it was time to launch the site and my help was needed.

Long story short: Whether our good friend Mr. #5 is preoccupied with real life or just need some time off Quake, I'm not going to pester him. I know what it is like to need time.

Comment

hmmm, i remember hydro and yellow saying they had " the itch " a while back... musta been sum baaaaaad stuff!!!
                          SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
                          THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
                          sigpic

Comment

The WIP section has some messed up table spacing for me. Looks like it's being caused by the top-left cell being 2 columns instead of one.
                            16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                            16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Originally posted by Lardarse View Post
                              The WIP section has some messed up table spacing for me. Looks like it's being caused by the top-left cell being 2 columns instead of one.
                              Me too. It's on the to-do list of things to look into.

Comment

Working...
                              X