No announcement yet.

Spammer Blocking Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really even a simple custom question would probably make it not worthwhile for the spammers. Like "Type Quake" in the box.

When I enabled that COPPA thing asking for birthdate, for quite a while the spammer could went down to near zero, apparently the SEO optimization spammer crapsoftware couldn't deal with that (initially).

Just one custom question would probably break that stuff for quite a long time, and it isn't too much to expect someone registering here can type the word "Quake".

And Sole could add another ad on that page, like having the Axe deodorant guy spray from his armpits
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      Really even a simple custom question would probably make it not worthwhile for the spammers. Like "Type Quake" in the box.

When I enabled that COPPA thing asking for birthdate, for quite a while the spammer could went down to near zero, apparently the SEO optimization spammer crapsoftware couldn't deal with that (initially).

Just one custom question would probably break that stuff for quite a long time, and it isn't too much to expect someone registering here can type the word "Quake".

And Sole could add another ad on that page, like having the Axe deodorant guy spray from his armpits
      I see no difference between adding a question like 'Type Quake' and having the image with a question that we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by ooppee View Post
        lol Baker makes a good scapegoat.
        Instead of the questions - try the axe/gun images? Keep the "what color is the armor" on the image, then below the image in txt ask if he's holding a gun/axe.
        Have you considered using Microsofts version (the cat/dog one)?
        Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck with using whatever mods are available with vBulletin. I don't have the time to custom code a solution right now. I haven't found many other options for this version of the forum software (3.8x)

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
          I see no difference between adding a question like 'Type Quake' and having the image with a question that we have now.
          Ah. Well I didn't realize you did that!

Nice!

/More proof I don't tend to read all the posts in a thread.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Slacking on reading there Baker.
            Yeah typing in the word Quake overall has zero difference. The only other thing I can think of I already said - take the other Quake Marine pics (with the axe) add the same text you did last time but after (not in the image) also ask "is he holding a gun or a axe?" would just double the input needed to bypass.
            Last edited by LambentHammerBurst; 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Yea. Color's are too easy, but looking for the text "axe" or "gun" SEEMS more reliant , unless the bots are brute forcing with a dictionairy or pass list.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                Yea. Color's are too easy, but looking for the text "axe" or "gun" SEEMS more reliant , unless the bots are brute forcing with a dictionairy or pass list.
                Spambots probably "read" the page and know when to expect color answers. With red and blue being prime.

I agree with Mindzy. They aren't smart, questions like "axe" or "gun" would probably represent a challenge they can't deal with. Nor would answers like "Quake" or "Axe".

Spambot software is probably very used to color questions and "red" and "blue" likely get them 75% of the result. It isn't like their software has intelligence, but likely knows when a page has the word "color" or the image has a color name in it.

I'm just saying. Although I don't have Solecord's PHP and web development skills, I have written a [crappy] web browser and it would easily be able to scan the HTML source for the word "color" and easily be able to look for "red" or "blue" in an image name. I wrote that contraption 6 years ago and if I could easily do it, some Russia/India money-grubbing SEO optimization asswipe could have easily written such a thing ages ago.

But as the old expression goes ... "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!" and answers like "Axe" or "Gun" or even "Quake" are not mainsteam. Take that advantage and cash the check. And so goes my relatively knobster opinion. I'm no Solecord, but if I wanted to I could easily be a spammer software writer.

They'd skip our site opting for more mainstream prey. Not everyone has a Solecord running their site.
                Last edited by Baker; 01-14-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X