[Lack of] Site Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Lack of] Site Rules

I think it would be a good idea to post a good defintion and outline of the quakeone.com forum rules on the main page, like most membership sites do, here is one example of a site that includes their general guidlines and rules. Forum.ExtraTorrent.com • View topic - Site members RULES (upload, comments, reviews etc), I know this isn't the same type of site as quakeone, it is just an example... Since quakeone.com is very lenient and alot more free and lax of rules than most sites, it wouldnt take much time to do. One big mistake is to assume that everyone knows how to properly conduct themselves on forums, and some people dont know that posting illegal dl links are wrong, others dont know that using profanity is wrong, or that being extreemly rude and out of the way is unacceptable, Or that posting spam in any way is something this site doesn't allow. etc.. Its just an idea.. I want to hear others thoughts on this.

Originally posted by ninjamonkeyz View Post
    I know this isn't the same type of site as quakeone, it is just an example... Since quakeone.com is very lenient and alot more free and lax of rules than most sites, it wouldnt take much time to do.
    You are thinking to hard. Quit doing that.

and some people dont know that posting illegal dl links are wrong
    Those are the kind of people that wouldn't be taking the time to read sites anyways.

I think it is rather nerdly to make some sign to point at when someone does something obviously unacceptable.

others dont know that using profanity is wrong, or that being extreemly rude and out of the way is unacceptable
    Is that unacceptable here? Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I can't recall having a problem with that thing here in ages. Oddly enough, the word filter of all things really has made this a non-problem because someone gets the freedom to post however they want to express themselves but kind of sort of get the idea of what the boundaries are.

Or that posting spam in any way is something this site doesn't allow. etc.. Its just an idea.. I want to hear others thoughts on this.
    Really there aren't very many rules. The forum is lenient. Moderators recognize problems when they happen. If "rules" could do the job, we wouldn't need moderators.

I think the best way to describe the forum rules: nearly complete freedom until peer pressure calls you out of line and if it gets to be too much then a moderator thinks about it. Some exceptions being made for exceptionally low-ethics behavior (spam, illegal download links, something morally unacceptable).

Humans ultimately have to moderate things, you can't quite know what all the circumstances are.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I agree with most of that but If you do post a list of the lienient rules for this site, then when someone gets their post edited, or they get banned for breaking these rules that they more than likely knew was wrong when they did it.. Then you can always save the controversy and the arguments from others by saying look at the rules, they clearly violated them. etc.

Comment

rules..... -_- zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I like the fact if I want to swear I can.
        Rambo[RuM]
        I support:
        Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
        Qrack - Thank You r00k
        Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
        Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

Then you can always save the controversy and the arguments from others by saying look at the rules, they clearly violated them. etc.
          Yeah but that isn't how it actually works. Usually there isn't much "clearly" to it.

Moderating isn't interacting with rules, it is interacting with people.

The black and white part is easy. The shades of gray are where moderation lives and it isn't always obvious where that line lives, so you set that goal post as far down the field as reasonable and then sort things out if some unforeseen circumstance is presenting a problem.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but since the idea of this site is people who care about Quake in some shape or form, it is more about extending trust and judgment to people than trying to limit their behavior.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

After thinking about this more ... don't you prefer forums that by default view the people that spend the time to visit them as "citizens" of the community that by default are free to think and do what they want?

The idea of rules is the opposite of that. The idea of rules is that people that visit the forum can't be trusted and have to be supervised. I think that is a rather crappy way to view other humans.

I think most people can be trusted. I suspect pretty that the vast majority here think other people can be trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              After thinking about this more ... don't you prefer forums that by default view the people that spend the time to visit them as "citizens" of the community that by default are free to think and do what they want?

The idea of rules is the opposite of that. The idea of rules is that people that visit the forum can't be trusted and have to be supervised. I think that is a rather crappy way to view other humans.

I think most people can be trusted. I suspect pretty that the vast majority here think other people can be trusted.
              I trust you.. =)
              Rambo[RuM]
              I support:
              Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
              Qrack - Thank You r00k
              Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
              Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

You want a gaming forum without trolling? Bwahaha! Catch-22.

It's as simple as realizing that 95% of online gamers, who are the primary audience here, love trolling and trash talking.

Baker should simply admit that, instead of trying to make it look like a "free speech" issue. In reality, it is much simpler than that.

Should someone belong to the 5%, they are simply out of luck and should probably start a different hobby.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Maybe in newer games and once upon a time Quake1... Ive seen shit talking go from the ability to reach out and get two scoops anywhere you turn, to only a handful of Quaker's who talk shit.

This GENRE of gaming demands it, but the community behind Q1 definately (TODAY) don't fall into the shit talk category. Certainly nothing like it used to be.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    Yeah but that isn't how it actually works. Usually there isn't much "clearly" to it.

Moderating isn't interacting with rules, it is interacting with people.

The black and white part is easy. The shades of gray are where moderation lives and it isn't always obvious where that line lives, so you set that goal post as far down the field as reasonable and then sort things out if some unforeseen circumstance is presenting a problem.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but since the idea of this site is people who care about Quake in some shape or form, it is more about extending trust and judgment to people than trying to limit their behavior.

well then if not a rules section then a Welcome to quakeone.com or about section that describes the site to new comers.

Comment

well then if not a rules section then a Welcome to quakeone.com or about section that describes the site to new comers.
                      Hehe, why? It isn't hard to figure out, ya know

Comment

just an idea...

Comment

The thing about rules is... and I've experienced this by managing another forum for over 10 years... is that if you lay out specific rules, it gives incentive to the fools who know they're going to break the rules, to do so by a fine line. They'll try to squeak through by just barely following the rules and use the rules to defend how their actions did not break what was defined. Then when you moderate them, they go nuts saying how they're being abused by admins because they didn't really break the rules.

Everyone here is mature enough to know what the "rules" are here. Maybe we should clearly state somewhere that the site does not tolerate illegal download links, but beyond that, everyone here knows the "rules." And those who want the rules defined are the ones who are just looking to break them (when I say "those" I'm not referring to anyone in particular, the "those" is referring to people in general...)

Just my $0.02.

Comment

i understand, it was just a thought i had in my head, on something i seen missing from the site. I like the way it is moderated here... I was just thinking more along the lines for new comers to understand what all is offered here and what type of place and environment this is so it will be easier for them to clique in. just Site feedback etc.

Comment

And if you have other thoughts, ideas, comments, etc. please post them! That's what this forum is for - site feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X