Servers Twitter Widget Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servers Twitter Widget Test

Experimentally, the server browser block includes a Twitter feed widget that current shows logged activity from Texas CRMOD server ( dm.quaketx.com ).

This thread is collect any feedback on the idea.

This was Tremor's idea. I've spend a bit of time getting it to integrate into the site, although the way is it placed might not be the best.

If this proves a keeper, likely some of the less popular servers that are front-paged will be trimmed. Any server with 2 or more players automatically displays in the server browser block anyway.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

How?

I would be really interested in how this works. Would love to have the Twitter account for Quake.ie show server connection info!
    RawShark
    http://the.blogofeternalstench.net

Comment

Tremor is some sort of Linux and servers guru. I think he something about a "Python script", I don't know if he modified the server engine (my guess is that he probably did). The inclusion in the web page was a standard Twitter javascript script as far as I know.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Im not on twitter and dont really even look at that. Twits use twitter duh.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
          Im not on twitter and dont really even look at that. Twits use twitter duh.
          And to think,we're missing out on all those TWEETS and HASHTAGS, haha.

oof!
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

From what I understand he parses server logs.

Comment

I honestly never look at that twitter feed on the site. Waste of space? Personally all i "USE TO" use it for was to see who connected to the server recently. Of course i have not played DM in quite a few month's due to certain reasons, i fail to even recognize it, though i think it's cool to have a feed, its useless now days.

Comment

Smokey wanted to play some TDM, so I obliged. Kimp was there, on my team
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                  From what I understand he parses server logs.
                  Yes, this is what I expected. Still, I would very much like to see the script if at all possible.
                  RawShark
                  http://the.blogofeternalstench.net

Comment

opinion: useless, fancy... but useless

I'm not sure why people would want their twitter feeds cluttered up with

"GuyIHaveNeverHeardOf just logged on, time to frag is now"

This is assuming that someone even has twitter. Aside from that, you basically just have a box that reports log ons. This could be done without twitter (and technically already is).

Props to the technology and programmer though.

Maybe there could just be a native QuakeOne version - ?Quitter? only your server can join
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-15-2012, 03:11 AM.
                    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by RawShark View Post
                      Yes, this is what I expected. Still, I would very much like to see the script if at all possible.
                      You could try private messaging Tremor or otherwise try contacting him.

He has his own private server. No one else here knows the details of how he did what he did.

Comment

Working...
                      X