No announcement yet.

havent played quake in over 14 years...need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you Mr. Burns...it worked! i got on and connected to a server no problem, but the only thing now is i cant look side to side with my mouse. it lets me look up and down, but when i move the mouse to look left, its strafes left instead?

any ideas?

thanks again!

Comment

THIS: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...html#post59965 Ex. Try bringing down the console(press "~" next to the "1" key) and typing +mlook and see if that fixes it.
      Last edited by damage_inc; 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM.
      Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

No problem, happy to help - us quakers have to help each other

Damage is right, +mlook allows you to use the mouse to control the direction you are facing. You can either enter it manually each time you start quake or pop it in to your config.cfg text file so that it will be set automatically each time you start quake.

Some other options you may wish to experiment with to get you [re-]started:
        fov - normally Quake sets your Field Of View to 90. This is fine but can sometimes obscure things from your peripheral vision so you could be prone to attacks. Many top players have increased the fov to somewhere between 110-130 but don't too far down that road else you will get the nauseating "fisheye" effect
        cl_bob - On some engines you will notice that your player has a slight bouncing motion when walking/running. Sometimes this can be little off-putting so you could set it to 0 to turn it off if that's your preference.
        strafing - In days of old players would often use the left and right keyboard buttons to actually turn left or right. However, now that you have +mlook enabled you can use those buttons more effectively to strafe left and right. Have a play with it and see if it helps

Oh and if you are planning to go to the RuneQuake server quake.shmack.net these binds might help get you started:
        bind X "rune-use"
        bind X "rune-delete"
        bind X "+hook"

Where X is the particular key you wish to use for that action

Personally I often tend to turn off all console messages [con_notifylines 0/4] at Shmack so I don't get distracted by the abuse and childish arguing that get's hurled around by some individuals there but that's just me

Hope this helps

Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-21-2013, 02:14 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
          No problem, happy to help - us quakers have to help each other

Damage is right, +mlook allows you to use the mouse to control the direction you are facing. You can either enter it manually each time you start quake or pop it in to your config.cfg text file so that it will be set automatically each time you start quake.

Some other options you may wish to experiment with to get you [re-]started:
          fov - normally Quake sets your Field Of View to 90. This is fine but can sometimes obscure things from your peripheral vision so you could be prone to attacks. Many top players have increased the fov to somewhere between 110-130 but don't too far down that road else you will get the nauseating "fisheye" effect
          cl_bob - On some engines you will notice that your player has a slight bouncing motion when walking/running. Sometimes this can be little off-putting so you could set it to 0 to turn it off if that's your preference.
          strafing - In days of old players would often use the left and right keyboard buttons to actually turn left or right. However, now that you have +mlook enabled you can use those buttons more effectively to strafe left and right. Have a play with it and see if it helps

Oh and if you are planning to go to the RuneQuake server quake.shmack.net these binds might help get you started:
          bind X "rune-use"
          bind X "rune-delete"
          bind X "+hook"

Where X is the particular key you wish to use for that action

Personally I often tend to turn off all console messages [con_notifylines 0/4] at Shmack so I don't get distracted by the abuse and childish arguing that get's hurled around by some individuals there but that's just me

Hope this helps

Monty
          Hey mr burns,

I was playing against you today! I got it all figured out thanks again for the help!

I just gotta figure out all that rune stuff...I was getting my ass handed to me pretty good

Comment

Hi Blipo,
            I'm happy to help and anyway one more player having good natured fun online benefits us all

Just so you know, there is a dedicated website with lots of help, information, and a set of playing instructions, but in a nutshell:
            • Each rune will give a particular powerup or capability (E.g Beserker rune, Telefrag deflection, Teleportation, Good health, etc).
            • Some of those capabilities are active from the second you pick up the rune, but some such as Invulnerability need to be activated using the "rune-use" command which is why it can really help you to bind it to a key. You'll have to experiment with it a bit to find out which category the various runes fall in to.
            • If you pick up a rune that is of no use to you then drop it using the "rune-delete" command (again, bind it to a key) and find the next one until you get what you're after.
            • Be aware that the grappling hook activated by +hook is used extensively at Shmack both to move around and, for those less scrupulous players, camp out in unexpected places and take pot shots at you. Your Hook can be useful to get to unusual places quickly and without Rocket/Grenade jumping, hold on to walls/floors/ceilings if someone drops a gravity well to stop yourself being sucked in, and also for inflicting damage on someone (albeit relatively minor).

Hope this helps

Monty
            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-22-2013, 02:11 AM. Reason: Rampant Senility
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
              Hi Blipo,
              I'm happy to help and anyway one more player having good natured fun online benefits us all

Just so you know, there is a dedicated website with lots of help, information, and a set of playing instructions, but in a nutshell:
              • Each rune will give a particular powerup or capability (E.g Beserker rune, Telefrag deflection, Teleportation, Good health, etc).
              • Some of those capabilities are active from the second you pick up the rune, but some such as Invulnerability need to be activated using the "rune-use" command which is why it can really help you to bind it to a key. You'll have to experiment with it a bit to find out which category the various runes fall in to.
              • If you pick up a rune that is of no use to you then drop it using the "rune-delete" command (again, bind it to a key) and find the next one until you get what you're after.
              • Be aware that the grappling hook activated by +hook is used extensively at Shmack both to move around and, for those less scrupulous players, camp out in unexpected places and take pot shots at you. Your Hook can be useful to get to unusual places quickly and without Rocket/Grenade jumping, hold on to walls/floors/ceilings if someone drops a gravity well to stop yourself being sucked in, and also for inflicting damage on someone (albeit relatively minor).

Hope this helps

Monty
              Ah ha! So that explains how ppl were high up on the walls! I thought they were using some kind of cheat code lol

Comment

Working...
              X