NPRQuake Touch-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPRQuake Touch-Up

NPRQuake (ancient website), like original GLQuake is broke in about 4-5 different ways.

gdiddy62 was trying to get assistance from an engine coder to make it work. 6 issues were resolved that prevented NPRQuake from working on most modern computers.

Repaired NPRQuake Download (w/source): [Download]

Note that you still need all the DLL files and textures from the NPRQuake site (this is a bug-fixed engine, not the whole NPRQuake package).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

is that screenshot the default look?
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

this is seriously cool

i love it, this is awesome. quake in a whole new way

EDIT:
      just kinda a shame the hud isnt made skethy too. that wouldve made it even more awesome

oh and question... is there a way to turn of those polygon shadows?
      they look kinda fail cuz they are floating above the ground rather then being on the ground
      Last edited by talisa; 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I can run this in its old exe form, on my older than dirt PC. Although only the stencil one worked properly, I tried helping get someone else to run it for months in traded emails/private messages. The only thing I could figure out was the hardware I was testing on,was in the exact same year range of hardware. I tried on all the newer machines we have and it was a no-go, really nice to see NPR be brought back to life! There was another "funny rendered" version of quake, called TextQuake
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

just says "could not load default renderer" or something....
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

R00k: you have to get the NPRQuake DLLs and textures.

Syluxman, in the console, you type r_load sketch

@ Splitterface, yeah the HUD thing ... I agree.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

and i think its also kinda confusing with the ammo and health.
              cuz those are made to have that same scratching lines on them too and are indistinguishable from one another
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I could totally listen to NPR and play this.

~"This is PRI's The World {jungle music} RAWG!"
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-13-2012, 07:25 PM.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Yes there was indeed a text quake as well,it looked like the predator running through the matrix screensaver and serially fukt up yer hed.
                  It was called TTYQuake and you could play it over telnet

I still have the readme from the source.
                  .................................................. ......
                  WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN, "TEXTMODE QUAKE"?

It's just what it sounds like. Rather than those trendy colored pixels that
                  seem to be all rage with the kids these days, Textmode Quake uses plain text
                  characters for its rendering. The graphics-challenged need not feel left out
                  any longer. Play Quake at a text terminal, in an xterm, or over a telnet
                  session! Good lord, the world just got a little better.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS JUST PLAIN WRONG! WHOSE FAULT IS THIS?

I, Bob Zimbinski ([email protected]), take no personal credit for this amazing
                  technology. My role is merely to bring it to the people. Textmode Quake's
                  amazing character-mode renderer is powered by aalib, a character-based
                  graphics library by Jan Hubicka ([email protected]) See
                  http://horac.ta.jcu.cz/aa/index.html for more info on aalib. Greg Alexander
                  ([email protected]) wrote aavga, an aalib wrapper that
                  handles svgalib function calls. Put em together, throw in a couple support
                  libraries, and you've got Textmode Quake! Source for aalib and aavga is
                  freely available, but not in this package. Get the sources from the AA
                  Project homepage, listed above.

YOU'RE A SICK SONOFABITCH. BUT UM, HOW CAN I TRY IT?

1. Get Linux.
                  2. Make Linux go.
                  3. Get Quake.
                  4. Make Quake go.
                  5. Get Textmode Quake
                  http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake...ake-0.3.tar.gz
                  6. Untar the ttyquake package in your Quake directory.
                  7. Run the 'ttyquake' script from your Quake directory.
                  8. Put your head between your legs and breathe deeply until the shock
                  wears off.
                  9. Rinse.
                  10. Repeat.

It probably won't work if you run it as root. Textmode Quake looks best in a
                  terminal (or terminal emulator) that can display boldface text. Textmodes
                  higher than 80x25 are pretty too. Try rxvt -geometry 160x100 -fn 5x7 -e
                  ./ttyquake for a truly grand vision. If that's a little too slow, try other
                  factors of 320x200, like 160x50, or 80x50.

IF YOU EMAIL ME AND ASK HOW TO MAKE IT WORK IN WIN95, I'LL DELETE YOUR
                  MESSAGE AND TELL ALL MY FRIENDS WHAT A TARD YOU ARE.

WHAT IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME?

Well, don't come crying to me. Do you think I care if a useless, buggy hack
                  for an unsupported port of a game on a free operating system doesn't work
                  for you? Hah! Think again. Err, but if you, heh, fix anything I'd sure love
                  to hear about it.
                  Bob Zimbinski
                  3 September 1998
                  Last edited by bluntz; 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM.
                  WARNING
                  May be too intense for some viewers.
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                  ---------------------------
                  .--------------------------

Comment

I remember messing around with films+libaa. ascii art films!
                    if I remember correctly, libaa has a libsvga port, which gave an easy way to run quake.
                    (although libsvga and thus that version of quake is now somewhat depricated with the rise of x11-by-default)

don't forget fisheye-quake, panquake, and sird quake!
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

how do I Load stroke or blueprint?

Never mind, I figured it out. If anyone else has this question, it is r_load {name of dll} (ie brush, bprint or sketch)
                      Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                        how do I Load stroke or blueprint?
                        NPRQuake.

r_load bluePrint

Comment

nope it's bprint..

EDIT: I am 100% positive it goes by DLL names. I just renamed bprint.dll to murphy.dll and typed r_load murphy. It worked perfect.
                          Maybe at one time it was called bluePrint.DLL.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                            nope it's bprint..

EDIT: I am 100% positive it goes by DLL names. I just renamed bprint.dll to murphy.dll and typed r_load murphy. It worked perfect.
                            Maybe at one time it was called bluePrint.DLL.
                            I believe you. But I pasted that from the NPRQuake instructions so I blame the NPR Quake peoples.

Comment

Yeah, I had already read those instructions and it didn't work, which was why I posted here , but then I noticed one DLL was named sketch (which was the r_load value) so I simply tried the other DLL names.

Brush and blueprint are unplayable in my opinion. They look neat but trying to actually play in those environments was annoying. I think it's because there are no shadows.

Sketch has it's own unplayableness as well. Inset buttons are almost indistinguishable as being anything at all. Not knowing what ammo you are picking up also kinda sucked.

I still give it a 9 out of 10 in sketch mode though. I think this is the coolest mod I have ever seen, even with it's faults. Maybe tomorrow I will go play some NPR Freezetag..

Comment

Working...
                              X