Players Exceeded Planning; Will Improve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players Exceeded Planning; Will Improve

Honestly, neither myself or Wicked Lord expected to have 14 player games on the teams.quakeone.com server during testing (14 is the max server capacity). The map rotation was selected with games of 6-8 in mind so maps suited to smaller games had been selected to ensure action (they proved to be too small for the number of players for the night).

Many lessons learned: the map selection was not geared towards 10-14 player games, neither was the weapon respawn resulting in tons of boomstick battles because players didn't have guns. Many adjustments to make.

But one thing was clear: players do want easy access to classic DM.

The need for more guns was quite obvious. Lesson learned; will fix. Also the map selection was inadequate for the player capacity. That too will be resolved and quickly.

Thanks to: Nick, Mindz, Omi, Bluntz, Bruce, DYS, Rev, Monster, Jbone, Paulo, Vintage, Smokey, Zord, Dot, Sylux, Kathos, Turtlevan, R00k, Q-Mark and everyone else who participated in testing.
    Last edited by Baker; 10-22-2012, 11:16 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Obviously you know what needs to be fixed. Yeah weapon respawn need's to be sped up some.

One thing i really enjoyed.. Other then the few who came to just mess around like Monster/Mark (talking a dump load) as i should put it. It was action packed non-stop action, no wait.. Maps rotated so the boring part never got to sink into it. Yes we played the maps over and over, but each time was still a new challenge. I give it a thumbs up for sure. Once the kinks are worked out of this new system you are working on we can also put one up in dallas, tx so the ping advantages will be more equal. Otherwise great games tonight, enjoyed them lots.

Comment

If your wanting to update the command line with anything better then what i have, we will slip in the -dedicated 16 so we open it for 16 players. At the point when i set it up i did not care to add 16 as we never had that many on a server.

Comment

Just so I don't forget the challenges. Things to adjust:

1. Map selection based on # players.
        2. Team auto-adjust from map to map to prevent stacked teams.
        3. Weapon respawn to reflect player count (weapon stay is out of the question, yeah QW does that but this is NetQuake. I don't think any true NetQuaker believes in free weapons, that's part of NetQuake heritage.).
        4. AFKers need to go obs.
        5. Timer count down, maybe with countdown clock towards end of match. So everyone knows timelimit.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

For a proquake server and qccx/frikqcc you should use proquake specific hacks.
          This file has a basic requirement for supporting proquake's pqc_ commands.

utils.qc

I'm positive this would work in a runequake codebase, almost seamlessly.
          If you had a match time of 10 minutes, u could use the PQC_MATCH_TIME to pass to the client, for use with pq_timer 1 . Also anytime a new player connecting would see how many minutes left in current game..
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

6. Axe battle!

Comment

this mod is essentially classic ctf without the hook and flag
              Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

timer is definitly needed. i dont know how many people were mixed up when the match ended suddenly.
                My Avatars!
                Quake Leagues
                Quake 1.5!!!
                Definitive HD Quake

Comment

8 minutes caught me off gaurd.... lol. Wow mega short Had a blast even through buffering TV shows / occasional lag.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by monoz View Post
                    this mod is essentially classic ctf without the hook and flag
                    Hehe you know your CTF.

Teams Deathmatch used a codebase of xCTF (Bam), which is a modified version of ThreeWave CTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      Hehe you know your CTF.

Teams Deathmatch used a codebase of xCTF (Bam), which is a modified version of ThreeWave CTF.
                      Where the Shareware Quake may thrive
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

is there a way to change map on this server?

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                          Where the Shareware Quake may thrive
                          indeed.
                          My Avatars!
                          Quake Leagues
                          Quake 1.5!!!
                          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by PapaSmurf View Post
                            is there a way to change map on this server?
                            Nope. The maps each only run 8 minutes.

I thought map voting would be a distraction. No one ever interrupted game play flow at Trinicom or Hating or even the FFA Quakeworld servers I've played on. And the level time at teams.quakeone.com is quite small. I'm not against vote-map, I'm just against it on a server where a map lasts 8 minutes!

(Ironically, badly balanced teams could make 8 minutes seem like an eternity. ).

/And I'm not done with the server mod, probably a week and a half from now I'm gonna be beating this mod into prime-time shape --- but I consumed a bit more free time than expected getting the server up, gotta catch up with real-life commitments before I go back to the figurative "Quake Bunker" and bust out the changes.

Comment

hey baker, is there a name to the mod you run on the new server?
                              My Avatars!
                              Quake Leagues
                              Quake 1.5!!!
                              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Working...
                              X