No announcement yet.

Seven or anyone knows effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the particlefont used adhere to gl_texturemode conditions?
    Is it a fixed parameter for the upload (gl_linear)?
    I kinda think it looks out of place, for a purist engine, but if one could edit the particles or just use gl_texturemode gl_nearest and everything looks dos-quakey again...

Also, does the Quad glow show thru the wall?
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I'm just looking to document the stuff, making a particle effect look right is a metric ton of work --- I'm not going to doing that I just want how the particle spawning and movement works to have some examples for someone to get started.

Making it look right/perfect/Quakey --- that's for someone like Sock who is artist to fine tune in a single player release, etc.

I think it obeys texturemode, I saw a note by Spike about that.

Also, does the Quad glow show thru the wall?
      Yeah, any light in Quake not done at compile time will show through a thin wall.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        I think it obeys texturemode, I saw a note by Spike about that.
        wicked cool. I'm with R00k, the 'nice' particles look way out of place (i know you were just showing us they actually work, i'm not criticizing your effects). I'll play with some settings and see if I can't make them look like they belong, all msdos-y and shit lol. A definite step up from the old-school particles. Even when quake wasn't outdated, I thought id software could have spent a little more time on the particles.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Particle effects are very, very hard to get right.

Requires a ton of fine tuning by someone with artistic talent, a lot of taste and willing to put a lot of effort into it.

So think of it like a big block of rock --- it can be turned into a sculpture by someone.

That's not my role. I'm an engine coder (who in this case isn't even they guy who coded the engine, haha). I'm not even a mapper. I'll tell you how it works, that's it!

Someone else will have to blaze that trail. After I write up stuff, my work is done
          Last edited by Baker; 09-22-2016, 06:16 PM.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
          X