Dark Places screen flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gnounc View Post
    on e1m1 theres a crapton of ammo boxes and guns right in front of the elevator...like its a dm level..how would i go about turning that off?
    Haha, I love it! You phrased that hilariously.

Hmmm .... maybe type coop 0; deathmatch 0; skill 1; map e1m1?

Make sure gamedir is id1.

Almost sounds like you have a CTF version of e1m1 or external .ent files in id1 or id1/maps? (DarkPlaces supports external entities).

Different guesses and maybe a headsup to me if I ever add .ent support to ProQuake.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Funny how? Like a clown? like haha funny funny how?

Thanks baker, I'll check into those.
      Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Gl_ztrick 0 ?
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Ahem... as far as video goes. you can encode it to compress files gigabytes in size down to megabytes. I use windows media encoder 9. The only drawback is it turns everything into a .wmv, but .wmv is pretty much a universal format that works on almost all computers so it's no biggie.
          e|------------------------0---------------
          B|---------------0^1----------------1----
          G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
          D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
          A|---------------0------------------------
          E|----------------------------------------

Comment

@gnounc ... Funny how = "crapton" and the reference to ammo everywhere like a DM level. I just found the wording of that sentence artistically funny and amusing.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
              Ahem... as far as video goes. you can encode it to compress files gigabytes in size down to megabytes. I use windows media encoder 9. The only drawback is it turns everything into a .wmv, but .wmv is pretty much a universal format that works on almost all computers so it's no biggie.
              that is,at this point,useless information.
              Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 09-01-2009, 07:21 AM.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

http://johnnysblacklightposters.com/images/49597.jpg

Hehe, I was just looking for an excuse to say that baker, thats all : )

Comment

Finally started darkplaces up again, and decided to check out what you said, .ent file for e1m1, deleted, no more wonky dm dump of ammo and whatnots, thanks baker.

Comment

annnd also, 2006 version of darkplaces you recomended, works

Comment

DO you think another engine could be the cause of the screen flicker? I also have proquake, fuhquake, and qrack all in my quake folder. I was wondering if there could be some sort of conflict between them that is causing the screen flicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Legend View Post
                        DO you think another engine could be the cause of the screen flicker? I also have proquake, fuhquake, and qrack all in my quake folder. I was wondering if there could be some sort of conflict between them that is causing the screen flicker.
                        No.

Qrack and FuhQuake don't even use the same folder to store settings.

For DarkPlaces to run, all it needs is pak0.pak and pak1.pak and those are game content. Erasing your quake\id1\config.cfg (+autoexec.cfg if you have one) wipes everything.

ProQuake does use the same config location as DarkPlaces (quake\id1\config.cfg) but ProQuake does not have any advanced video options.

Modified Quake engines, at least the mainstream ones, can never "conflict" with each other because they are designed either to only use the game content (pak0.pak, pak1.pak) or ... if otherwise ... they use separate folders (case in point, Qrack, JoeQuake, FuhQuake, etc.).

The flicker problem for some people is a known DarkPlaces issue which is also known in the Nexuiz community (Nexuiz is a total conversion which uses DarkPlaces as the engine, for anyone reading this who doesn't know.)

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                          Modified Quake engines, at least the mainstream ones, can never "conflict" with each other because they are designed either to only use the game content (pak0.pak, pak1.pak) or ... if otherwise ... they use separate folders (case in point, Qrack, JoeQuake, FuhQuake, etc.).
                          One problem is that a lot of them - on Windows anyway - actually do come with DLLs which - while they may have the same name - aren't always the same version. Although that would cause either content failing to load or hard crashes (depending on how defensively programmed the port is) and would not be a screen flicker candidate.
                          IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Darkplaces flicker is gone on my laptop with the newest release (and possibly a few before).
                            Anyone else who had this problem care to verify?

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
                              One problem is that a lot of them - on Windows anyway - actually do come with DLLs which - while they may have the same name - aren't always the same version.
                              True. I have lots of clients in there, too. And one of em refuses to start because one of the others came with a zlib1.dll it doesn't like.
                              dfsp*spirit
                              my FPS maps

Comment

Originally posted by dfsp_spirit View Post
                                True. I have lots of clients in there, too. And one of em refuses to start because one of the others came with a zlib1.dll it doesn't like.
                                That's pretty much why I compiled unzip.c from the Q3A source directly into my engine, and also why I use OS libraries like D3D, GDI+, DirectShow, etc for images and sound. Seems a bit silly to be contributing to the problem.
                                IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X