.pak files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .pak files

I've grown sick of constantly juggling my .pak files, renaming them and moving them around depending on what mod I want to play--fvf, ctf, slide, some single player map, etc. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to unpack the .pak files into folders within the ID1 folder. I know you can do this with maps, but can you also do it with progs, gfx, sounds, and other good stuff you find inside .pak files? If so, what are the consequences of doing this? I assume you need a different way to load the mod you want, presumably by using .bat files (?) or using shortcuts and putting commands in the target box....
    thanks

Hi Spooks,

I'm sure Baker,Rook,MH et al will come up with a more sensible quake based solution but for example when playing slide on Foq's server I have a diifferent batch file to start quake which first copied across the required paks, starts quake, and then deletes the copied paks afterwards. It works everytime for me and the only difference is I click a different icon.

If it helps it goes something like this:
    Code:
    @echo off
    Rem Quake Slide script for Spooks
    cls
    Echo Setting up Quake Slide for you...
    Copy "x:\quake\slide\pak2.pak" x:\quake\ID1\
    Copy "x:\quake\slide\pak3.pak" x:\quake\ID1\
    echo.
    echo starting quake..
    wqpro399 -game slide -map slide1 -nocdaudio -width 800 -height 600 -bpp 16 -mem 64 -listen 4
    cls
    echo cleaning up Quake (removing the slide bits)
    Del x:\quake\ID1\pak2.pak
    Del x:\quake\ID1\pak3.pak
    echo Done
    Kind regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Sounds to me like you haven't discovered -game yet...
      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Being quite keen on a number of mods such as Painkeep, DMP, etc, I tried that previously with slide and it didn't seem to work properly for me, but Spooks your setup may be different and it's certainly worth a try.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

do you know how annoying it is to have multiple quake shortcuts that run different mods?that all have the same freaking icon? I agree that is definately annoying to be required to setup multiple bat's or shortcut's....

solution : front end loader that asks you what mod you want to play,and loads your quake using the -game variable requested.should be pre-config'd to load all of the current mods that are popular,and the ability to add more user entry's for future uses. This breaks it down into one executable handling multiple mods,at the beginning being where the mod desired is when its picked,after you close quake nothing has changed to command line parameters...
          (Baker has made something pretty damn close,if not already accomodating this problem!)
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Alternative solution: what about proper game changing in the engine? It is possible and a few of us have done it.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for taking the time out to contribute, MH

This to me seems the most logical solution. With the introduction of the recent mods on some servers, such as Polarite's suite of servers, if the engine can be intuitive enough to detect what mod is running on the server you are wishing to connect to and then automatically load up the appropriate gamedir at the point of joining then that IMHO would seem to be the "happy medium". Less hassle playing any mod = happier players = [hopefully] more players

With that in mind how can I ensure that EngineX will work with the existing and [hopefully] new versions of the Quake Deathmatch Plus/Painkeep/A.N.Other mod?

Kind regards

Monty
              Last edited by Mr.Burns; 07-21-2009, 12:57 AM.
              Mr.Burns

Comment

short of programming any new programs or engines (which I'm not capable of), I'd like to find the best short term solution for myself.

thanks for the example montie. let me see if i understand this correct, I would put that code in a .txt file, rename it as a .bat file, and run it? my knowledge of .bat files is slim

can someone explain this "-game" command?

Comment

Those EZ installers I made, while being .exe files, install the stuff and were made perfectly to allow Slide, Rocket Arena, Threewave CTF, FVF and even NetQuake Team Fortress to peacefully co-exist without using -game.

+1 Baker in the Baker vs. Spooker Wars!!!

/jokingly to spooks, welcome to where I was 3 years ago. I'm kidding with you, actually Yellow No. 5 was the genius who came up with the concept and asked me to do it. So +1 Yellow No. 5 actually. Yellow No. 5 came up with tons of great ideas that some people mistakenly give me credit for.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

there's a war?? oh crap lemme get my spear and shield. see you in the jousting ring at 1300

i still don't like ezinstallers, they muck around with registry and whatnot. can someone point me to a link where i can learn about this schtuff? hay i never heard of netquake team fortress b4

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                      there's a war?? oh crap lemme get my spear and shield. see you in the jousting ring at 1300

i still don't like ezinstallers, they muck around with registry and whatnot. can someone point me to a link where i can learn about this schtuff? hay i never heard of netquake team fortress b4
                      It's about the same as the Quakeworld Team Fortress. +/-
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                      X