Winquake and Spybot S&D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winquake and Spybot S&D

Spyboy S&D's TeaTimer thingy always flags me when I load up Winquake.

Winquake (And ProQuake's Winquake) wants to change a value in the registry everytime I start it up. It wants to change the value of a System Startup user entry named NoDriveTypeAutoRun .. The value changes are always completely random ranging from numbers to... other stuff.

Does anyone know what Winquake is doing?

It's not WinQuake changing it; WinQuake doesn't go near the registry. You've got something else (possibly nasty) piggy-backing on top of the executable, I'm afraid.
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd bet a lot of money on mh being correct on this.

I always look into possible spyware problems to learn what things they do to windows. What's odd is that the registry entry disables autoloading of software on types of drives, dependant on the value of the registry entry. So if it's random values, then I don't see how it would help a spyware program. But it might be useful to disable autorun since this is a possible way of loading antispyware/antivirus programs. I've heard that some spyware fights back quite well against spybot and the like, so you might want to scan the hard drive in a clean system with a brand new installation of spybot and such to make sure.

Comment

Funny thing I noticed is if I start Winquake with the -startwindowed parameter, it will not try to change the value of this registry entry. Although, If I change the settings back to fullscreen is when it tries to change it again... Or if I set it to window mode inside the game, quit the and restart it, it will then try to be in fullscreen, but go into window mode.

So, everytime there is a hint of the program being in fullscreen is when it tries to change this registry entry.

Comment

Working...
        X