No announcement yet.

How to install and run Quake in Win7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely not a Windows 7 problem, I've also been able to open my old DOS Quake CD without any problem. One thing I did notice was that the default action was registered as "Play" and that it required a right-click in explorer to select "Open". You've already tried that however, so maybe it's not relevant.

I suspect that you might have some 3rd party shell extension installed that is interfering with correct handling of mixed mode drives, possibly from CD writing software, a media player, or something similar. But it's not Windows 7 itself; that works.
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes I think you might be right, I use classicshell because I dislike the windows7 default stuff (start menu especially), I guess I will report this bug to them provided I can prove this is the problem. Maybe it's daemon tools also... but I kind of don't think so.

Thanks for the ideas about that.
      Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Batty View Post
        Maybe it's daemon tools also... but I kind of don't think so.
        I think it probably is: Mixed-mode CD's and Windows 7 x64 Bug? - THE DAEMON TOOLS FORUM

Comment

Well, open a command shell and try if you could access the cd from there.

Comment

nope, can't access from cmd or windows powershell either. So I guess it's not a shell extension.

Comment

A filesystem-level driver seems most likely then. Given that there is a known bug with daemon tools and mixed mode CDs (see my link upthread) that's where my spidey sense tingles to.

Comment

Yes I have daemon tools installed, as I image all of my games and keep them on one of my drives. I have about 500 games, and I rather keep them in storage rather than having so many boxes and cd's cluttering up my computer area. Maybe that's what is causing the issue, I'm using the Lite version, so I'll uninstall it and go back to using the one that comes with Alcohol and see if that solves my problem then.

Comment

Little tip for Windows 7 users, who are wondering where save files, config.cfg and anything you happen to dump from the console (cvars, .ent files, etc).

They are stored in (for default install location) C:\Users\(Your User Name)\Saved Games\darkplaces

Comment

Recently installed Quake on my new machine from my old CD-ROM. I have WinQuake 1.09 on the CD in question in addition to the DOS version (which I did not install for obvious reasons), and it runs just fine on my Win7 machine, though I had to put it into windowed mode (which I do with pretty much all my games in general) for best results, since fullscreen mode was seriously pixelated.

I switched to ProQuake because I forgot what command line I need to enter into the WinQuake console so that it always mouselooks (which WQ 1.09 doesn't have in the options). The graphics are much better than WQ, and apart from the lack of a crosshair and an option for CD music with this particular source port (because when I blast monsters in any of my games, I prefer to throw a CD into the drive and rock out), I'm pretty much set!

Comment

Working...
                    X