No announcement yet.

PK3 format question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well i'll try that l8er on next week because the power supply of my gaming rig died a few hours ago. Now im typing here on a Sempron 3400+ with Radeon 9800, not that what i would call a good gaming system. I put that together in a hurry to go back online.

Comment

What are the specs of that machine? I could recommend a good power supply based on your system's needs. The power supply is the foundation of your system, you definitely don't want to skimp out on it.
      e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Specs are:

Athlon 64 6400+ (AM2)
        2 x 500GB SATA (Raid 1)
        Geforce 8800GT 512MB
        4GB Ram

So not that "uber" system but runs well except for the power supply. Was a 600watt noname...

Comment

I know a cheap PSU that would work well for that system...

Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

If you plan on upgrading in the future, you may be pushing the limits... epically a GPU upgrade. Newer GPUs take two power connectors, sometimes 2x 6 pins, sometimes 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin... hell, I recall seeing one that had 2x 8 pins and 1x 6 pin (IIRC it was one of those custom design uber high end GTX480s). You've got one of the fastest GPUs that only require 1x 6 pin. If you're considering upgrading in the future and you don't mind spending the extra money, this one ought to be good for just about anything you can think of...

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I recommend doing your research on individual power supplies if you're looking to buy. PSU retailers are known to switch OEMs, so one model could be a lot better than another within the same brand name (the Antec Smartpower series is a great example of this). Then you have brands like Corsair, who is relying on their established brand name rather than a quality product. Their newer PSUs aren't so good, I hear.
          e|------------------------0---------------
          B|---------------0^1----------------1----
          G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
          D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
          A|---------------0------------------------
          E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
            lol, dont expect a miracle osjclatchford
            I guess it would be (if any) only a slight performance increase.

If you have overall fps in e1m8 of "12", then you will not have "60" afterwards.
            LOL I seriously doubted that sort of difference my friend! it ist clearly my old beast of a pc, but every little helps, eh guys?

Comment

Originally posted by grave_digga View Post
              Now i found out why Rygels Ultra Pack is no valid pk3 file. Because it looks like the file format is limited to 2GB. I splited it up in 2 parts (making 2 pk3's) and then it works great (but unplayable on my rig <20 fps).
              I have a simular PC:
              Core2Duo E8200
              2 gig ram
              Geforce 8800GT

But 20fps you say!? My darkplaces runs between 60-300fps (with v-sync disabled) with hir-res textures and RTworld enabled..."how do I do it" you wonder?
              Go to LordHavoc's DarkPlaces Quake Modification scroll down to the "Quake art enhancement projects" and download "Romi's rtlights file for Quake"

It should run much faster (and looks much better) because Darkplaces now has a proper blue print for where to place shadows and lighting, instead of it placing shadows where ever there's a polygon (which is alot!)
              Thats why the game runs so slow.
              there is also one for mission pack 1: Romi's rtlights file for Quake mission pack 1

Make note of the FPS on the bottom right corner of these 2 screenshots!

without
              woRTL.jpg

with
              wRTL.jpg
              Last edited by DASl-l; 12-13-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X