Bunny jumping questions - Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunny jumping questions - Quake

Hello guys... ok I know there's a video explianing the Bunny Jumping technique in youtube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jm9iGW2Co]Quake 1: Guide to bunny jump - YouTube[/ame]

But I'm missing something, cause I can't do the bunny jump correctly, so would be great if you can answer this:

1. It's true that we need to use a mouse with a WHEEL to do bunny jump?. I'm a Mac user and I'm playing using the Apple Magic Mouse device (yes maybe it's a crap mouse for quake) but please let me know if it's true, and what kind of mouse you use.

2. It's true the story about the your server PING in order to obtain better bunny jumping results?, I always play in the XSALL server, and my PING it's always around 95 to 120 (shit ping). But please let me know if it's true that the ping rank affect the bunny jumping and velocity movements.

3. Have you any other video, or source to understand better how to bunny jump?

Thanks a lot guys!

By the way, i'm using EZ QUAKE on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks again!!

Nintendo Power

You don't need a mouse at all, other then for directing where your going.

Bunny hop is basically 2 jumps 1 jumps just a lil quicker / earlier then the other, then you continue that and it will slingshot you around map.

i'm not overly good at them, but, that's basically how you do it... your jump will sound slightly different if you succeed and you will be way further down the map.

I'm sure someone else will explain it better. GL.

I don't use EZquake, so it may be different in EZquake, physics anyways... still should be same method just would feel different.

Comment

i dunno bout QW but in quake live if you hold down a strafe button (left/right) while you jump your spead will increase dramatically with each jump but you will lose the ability to move left/right the faster you go.

Comment

Originally posted by nintendo-power View Post

1. It's true that we need to use a mouse with a WHEEL to do bunny jump?. I'm a Mac user and I'm playing using the Apple Magic Mouse device (yes maybe it's a crap mouse for quake) but please let me know if it's true, and what kind of mouse you use.

2. It's true the story about the your server PING in order to obtain better bunny jumping results?, I always play in the XSALL server, and my PING it's always around 95 to 120 (shit ping). But please let me know if it's true that the ping rank affect the bunny jumping and velocity movements.

3. Have you any other video, or source to understand better how to bunny jump?

1. No
        2. I'm not sure but it is always easier to bunny with lower ping
        3. QuakeWorld.nu Forum / Air acceleration/Bunny hopping/Strafe jumping tutorial?

Good luck
        – Moon[Drunk]'s Quake Graphics
        – Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project

Comment

In Netquake:

1. Continuously jump in a straight line.

2. While doing 1, move your mouse from side to side; notice you want to look inward at the points where you jump, not outward. Switch look direction in midair, NOT when jumping.

3. Additionally press strafe buttons in the same direction you're looking; this means, change look and strafe direction in midair, not when jumping. You want to do continuous (slight) circle jumps - alternating left and right, so you jump in a continuous line, but strafe/look in an S pattern. Look/strafe inward *before* you come in for another jump (ie do the strafe/look change *while in the air*), otherwise you'll end up doing left-right strafejumps which is not the same.

If you do this correctly, you'll find your speed increasing, not decreasing.

4. To reach even higher speeds, do not press Forward all the time; only tap Forward at the points where you jump. This is truly difficult.

5. Your acceleration depends on the aggressiveness of your strafe/look change pattern. It should be done with a "snapping" feel (so the S becomes more of a rounded Z). You can often see this in speedruns.

6. Your overall attained speed depends on the first jump in the row (accel jump). Ideally you'll build up high speed in a single jump and increase this while you're bunnying. To accel jump, strafe/look very shortly and slightly to one side, then strafe-jump (almost circle-jump) to the other. Experiment with doing this and have the speed meter on in clients that support it.

Alternatively you can do a rocket jump etc. to get up to speed, then bunny hop and try to keep that speed up.

!!! In Quakeworld, you have different physics. You do not need to press or tap Forward to accelerate in Quakeworld.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

What if the server admin sets sv_gravity to 2000?

Comment

Thank you very much guys... you placed a really good information... THANKS A LOT!!!

Comment

Working...
              X