No announcement yet.

How to change the console/message font?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change the console/message font?

I love DP and the font that is typically used with it matches the theme perfectly. However, I find it somewhat hard to read. I'd like to change it to fonts used in other engines, mods, etc.

How does one change the console/message font? I know it's something simple, but can't find anything in the forums.

Hello Brimstone,

The file you are looking for is called "conchars" (can be tga or png or ... format).
    In DarkPlaces it is placed in the subfolder: ID1\gfx

You can find fantastic conchars made by Moon[Drunk] here: click

If you simply want to make the size of the font a little bigger, you can use this cvar:
    con_textsize ["8"] console text size in virtual 2D pixels. If you have difficulties reading it.
    There are several more console/text related cvars.
    Please read the dpwiki for more info.

There are also several HUD/Menu compilations in this forum, that include all necessary files. Of course the one from QRP team is also very nice: click

Best wishes,
    Seven

Comment

Thanks Seven!

Those conchars by MD look great. I'll give them a try. I'm using a custom HUD that matches the DP theme and it looks great.

I'm using tons of PK3 files that may or may not have their own font files. Can I place my preferred conchars font in ID1\gfx and it take precedence over the fonts used in the PK3 files?
      [EDIT] This does work. Copied the files to ID1\gfx, renamed as "conchars.png" and they display properly.

One other question, though. I see that "con_textsize" allows me to change the console font height. Is there a variable in DP that lets me change the message font size?
      Last edited by Brimstone; 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Hello Brimstone,

You can change the size and duration of notifications on the left upper corner,
        but you cannot change the size of the font text of the center printed text as far as I know.
        To make these messages easier readable, you can add a shadow to it with this cvar:
        r_textshadow (try: 5)
        Good luck,
        Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
          Hello Brimstone,

You can change the size and duration of notifications on the left upper corner,
          but you cannot change the size of the font text of the center printed text as far as I know.
          To make these messages easier readable, you can add a shadow to it with this cvar:

Good luck,
          Seven
          Another Cvar that I didn't know. Using a shadow value of 4-5 does help. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X