High ping from an unknown cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IEEE 802.11
    Are you in the same building where the Quake server is hosted?
    no he's not. (i know because we're friends)

Comment

There's no wireless sharing or anything? I just need to know that we're dealing with two different ISP connections, there should be two different bills.

I don't want to find out that you're in the next room trying to go through the same connection that the server is on.

If your dad is 5 miles away you would still have your own internet connection, right?

What's the ISP name where the Quake server is hosted?

What's your ISP's name?

Are they the same?

Somehow I feel you didn't try my test where you take your computer to another location and test it out there to see if it's the ISP.
      "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Yes, we are dealing with two ISP's. Yes, my dad lives miles away from me. Our ISP's are different. But why should this matter?

Comment

If Darkplaces for sure works without issues, it can't be an ISP route issue. Right? Provided that ORL has connected to the server for a significant amount of time.

(Route issues are common, but if one client doesn't have issues that rules that out entirely if that client was used long enough, provided it isn't an intermittent problem).

ORL, how many seconds must you be connected for this issue to occur in the clients you have the problem with? Does it happen 100% of the time with no exceptions?
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by ORL
            Yes, we are dealing with two ISP's. Yes, my dad lives miles away from me. Our ISP's are different. But why should this matter?
            Just wanted to clear that up without a doubt.

Until you provide me with more of the information I requested I can't come to any more conclusions. Read over my requests and let me know if you can try any of those others. ISP names, testing on other ISP's etc. You seem to have friends here that might be willing to try that.

Comment

========
              flood.qc
              ========

void(entity e) AdminFlood =
              {
              if (FPlayerAlive(e))
              e.player_status = e.player_status | PLAYER_FLOODLIST;
              };

if (e.player_status & PLAYER_FLOODLIST) {
              stuffcmd(self,"cl_maxfps 999;wait;max_fps 999;wait;pq_maxfps 999\n");
              }

=========
              floodlist.dat
              =========

Baker
              JackHole
              IEEE
              ORL *
              Jerky
              BotBoy
              Mindz
              player
              Qbotboy

end of list...

Comment

That just creates normal lag for me, I don't notice it. W00T for dialup user!

Comment

My connection time to the FVF server is only a second or two, which is normal. The issue starts right when im put in the game.

Jackhole wrote

========
                  flood.qc
                  ========

void(entity e) AdminFlood =
                  {
                  if (FPlayerAlive(e))
                  e.player_status = e.player_status | PLAYER_FLOODLIST;
                  };

if (e.player_status & PLAYER_FLOODLIST) {
                  stuffcmd(self,"cl_maxfps 999;wait;max_fps 999;wait;pq_maxfps 999\n");
                  }

=========
                  floodlist.dat
                  =========

Baker
                  JackHole
                  IEEE
                  ORL *
                  Jerky
                  BotBoy
                  Mindz
                  player
                  Qbotboy

end of list...
                  What does all that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by ORL
                    Jackhole wrote

What does all that mean?
                    Jackhole was kidding around, as if there were some specific code to raise cl_maxfps to a high number on your client to mess you up. (heh, unlikely as you are the server operator).

Anyway, if it happens that fast ... like 2 seconds from starting to play ... and this doesn't happen in DarkPlaces, here is my theory!

I am going to assume you use -game fvf!

Try NOT using it!

Maybe you have some FVF models or sound that are ONLY compatible with DarkPlaces --- or --- only perform well with DarkPlaces!

(Did you play around with your FVF models or sounds? Like change something from the norm? )
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

ORL told me he played with pq_maxfps and if it is set to 32, he doesn't get the problem. Weird. With pq_maxfps 120, he does.

Problem solved. But mystery not solved.

Comment

I have tried not using the mod at the server, but i still get the problem.

And yes, i started playing around with the maxfps. It seems 32 is the lowest i can go without my ping shooting up to 10000. At 32 though, my ping is at an average 125. I can live with 32 fps and double the ping i normally get on a server. Ive lived through worse... But still, i would like to know the cause of this.

Comment

Well your not gonna believe this... I connected to fvf this morning with 32 fps. Noticed my ping was lower than yesterday. I made maxfps to 85 and............................. it works. I dont know how, i dont know why, i didnt do anything.... and it works. This is one of them unsolved mysteries.

Comment

Weird. I never mess with my fps. I don't have a reason to.

Comment

My stuff is locked at 60FPS xD
                              As for ROLF, The only lag issues I have is my being on a network with my dad, and if my dad uploads too much, I get random shots up to 300. I'm notmally less than 80.
                              e|------------------------0---------------
                              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                              A|---------------0------------------------
                              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X