--- quake screen is 1/4 the size its suposed to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --- quake screen is 1/4 the size its suposed to be

Whenever I try various quake engines the issue is still the same. Instead of getting a full quake screen I always get the top left quarter and I cant get in to the options menu to change screen size because I cant see it. Ive tried other engines with the same result. On darkplaces its full screen but you only get 1/4 top left portion. On fitzquake you get the top 1/4 screen but the other 3/4 are black. Darkplaces-sdl gives me the full way its suposed to but is too laggy to play.

I would take a screen shot but I dont know how to run it in windowed mode.

I have not been able to get qrack, tenebrae, quakespasm, or direct q to work.

Incidently my dad just bought a new dual core processor and the filing system and winrar extraction system on win 7 may be screwed up. Just not sure why its acting like that. I have win 7 but ive never had an issue running any quake engine on my computer and it works flawless on mine. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

right click darkplaces.exe and create shortcut, then right click that shortcut and go to the target field and it should look like this

In the targetfield, add -window so that it looks something like this D:\Games\DarkPlaces\darkplaces.exe -window click apply/ok/save double click the icon, you should be running in window mode.

Also most engines support alt-enter fullscreen to windowmode hot swapping,try it.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Okay, I got the window mode to work, and it is centered. However, the window can not be maximized and it is extremely laggy. Heres a screen shot. Thanks
      Attached Files
      Last edited by thegreattailz; 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

It's a very old question thats repititious but do you have the latest drivers for your gpu? There is a very small chance your using default AMD/Nvidia drivers that are packaged with Windows7 and are really shitty (speaking for AMD experience) and only intended to give basic display support. This will cause the issues your having, buying a video card and just slapping it in there would be the cause without any software/drivers also installed.

Have you went into the GPU's control panel type thing? (AMD has Catalyst / Vision Engine.I dont know anything about nvidia ) and set all your settings to Performance?

and, in the shortcut do this

darkplaces.exe -window -width 1280 -height 1024 (except replace 1280x1024 with your native desktop resolution!)

You can try going into Darkplaces options menu and turn everything off ,try and see if darkplaces mimicing a straight quake client (no flashy shit) will make it run smoother.

Something that might help is telling us what video card you have, is it onboard or addon card? Do you have a Llano APU ? I know that if you do not manually set the GPU's operating frequency you will end up with piss poor performance!

Have you ran a spyware scan? you could have lots of background baddies consuming processor time,unlikely but possible.

you can open darkplaces ,alt tab, push/hold ctrl+shift+escape, find Darkplaces in the processes tab,right click on it, and then Set Priority. Try raising it from Normal to Above Normal or High. DO NOT use Real Time,as that will most likely not end well and might even cause you to freeze up during alt tabs and stuff.

these are shots in the dark, because the problem has too many possibilities at the moment,more info is gonna speed this along

www.cpuid.com ,get cpu-z and run the program,then click the verify button and provide us the link to your verification page.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

why would anyone play in window mode?You will be limited to the refresh rate of the desktop,typically 60 hz on a lcd monitor.Run it in fullscreen to get full fps. Disable vsync. Also match the desktop resolution adding the -fullscreen to the shortcut.
          Maybe you do not have a GFX card?
          Last edited by bluntz; 10-03-2012, 09:29 PM.
          WARNING
          May be too intense for some viewers.
          Stress Relief Device
          ....BANG HEAD HERE....
          ---------------------------
          .--------------------------

Comment

The suggestion of windowed mode was for testing; see if the problem reproduces there too.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

The graphics card I have is a ATI radeon hd 3600, I just updated my direct x, java and checked device manager to see if win 7 says i have the latest drivers updated and I do.

I dont know anything about clocking, it is not an onboard card, not sure what a llano apu is.

heres the specs for my video card

ATI Radeon? HD 3600 Series GPU Specifications

Here is the cpuz

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

thanks guys your knowledge is much appreciated

Comment

I tried raising the priority of resources and also going into darkplaces and shutting everything off and it didnt do anything, so that seems to me like its a video card/win 7 issue

Comment

Okay, I just got DirectQ to work since i updated the direct x, so thats good.

Comment

Look for in your system tray, then double click on it , when it opens go to the Gaming tab on the far left and click it,then click 3D Application Settings, uncheck all of the "Use application settings" ,and slide all of the sliders to the far left, which will give you the greatest performance from your video card possible. Also,check box on the GL Triple Buffering as its off by default.

Click apply , close it out or minimize it and then try running Darkplaces again. If this helps get it working correctly, open your Vision Engine back up then go the 3D Application Settings tab again,then you'll see at top the "New Application" in the middle, click on it then navigate to your Darkplaces.exe highlight it,click okay. You saved a profile for Darkplaces only,and you can click Default settings and it will use the changes you made only when you use darkplaces,and any other time will run with default settings.

If this doesn't help get it running at full speed then you can always click the Default Settings button and revert back,and we can attempt something else.

Comment

ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) <---- I don't know,but this looks like an indicator of basic Windows provided drivers, my CPU-Z report looks different and doesnt mention anything Windows WDDM related at all.

Those memory timings are hella low (6-6-6-24) and your memory frequency is hella low!

I think your motherboard is not using the correct settings, you should power down,pop the case door off and and remove 1 of your memory modules and look for a sticker or something that indicates what frequency and timings they are supposed to run at. If they isn't anything obviously printed on a sticker or the chips somewhere, find a FCC ID or some model number and do a google search / report back here with what you find and we can go further.

Comment

AMD Catalyst? 12.4b Hotfix Driver <- a provided as is Driver that covers AMD HD3600 , provides fixes to some modern games / Driver released May 25th,2012.

Comment

I dont have that icon

Also, I cant run tenebrae cuz i get an error that says "no multitexturing found. Your 3d card may not support it"

Comment

Its okay I dont wanna go overboard, my dad doesnt go crazy gaming anyway. I just wanted to get darkplaces to work. But its cool cuz at least we got directq to work and thats better than nothing.

Comment

If you don't have that Icon you don't have proper drivers,as it comes with them standard now. You have a car without a engine

You can install new drivers and most likely all is fixed / done !

This is for 32bit Windows 7
                              http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/1...d_ccc_whql.exe

That is your problem ;/ If you don't have 32 bit Windows 7, go here AMD Support & Drivers and then at the Top right of site , use

Desktop Graphics, then Product Radeon HD Series, then HD 3xxx series, then choose Operating system that you need.

Just do that, and humor me please <3

Comment

Working...
                              X