Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup help

Hey all,
    I'm thinking of getting back into the game after about 5 years away. I'm using the Proquake 4.91. The problem I'm having is that I now have a 23", 16:9 monitor whereas I used to play on a smaller more squarish monitor. When I turn in the game, I have no idea where I'm gonna end up. I feel like quake was made for 4:3 monitors. Is there some way I get get a 4:3 set up, like by having a big border on the sides of my quake window?
    Thanks!
    Quake on.
    Spooks

Hi Spooks,

Long time no hear I hope your okay and welcome back to Quake.I'm sure Baker or one ofthe guru's will jump in here but in the interim I wonder if this has got something to do with your startup paramaters. Have you tried adding something like the following to your command line to try and constrain the appearance...
    Code:
    -width 640 -height 480
    this can probably all be handled in game these days but you never now, it might be worth a try

Hope this helps

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

there should be an option in settings
      Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

Hey Monty!! What's sup man! Miss all you guys.
        I tried switching the resolution to 640x480 and that doesn't seem to help.

Comment

Try hitting the minus key a few times.
          WARNING
          May be too intense for some viewers.
          Stress Relief Device
          ....BANG HEAD HERE....
          ---------------------------
          .--------------------------

Comment

start it up with -dinput
            from what I hear, proquake still leaves mouse acceleration on which can be really weird for anyone that plays other games too.
            enabling dinput is the easy way to bypass that issue (and the main reason why the two input methods feel different).
            Some Game Thing

Comment

^^^^^
              What he said

Have you tried adjusting your mouse sensitivity so it feels more natural?

Kind regards

Monty
              Mr.Burns
              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                Is there some way I get get a 4:3 set up, like by having a big border on the sides of my quake window?
                Likely 2013 feature, but doesn't exist now.

I'm actually coding that kind of thing for a non-Quake engine I've been writing in my spare time.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The -dinput seems to help a lot, that could be what I needed--thanks!
                  Anyone else find Quake strange on these newer, wide scope monitors?
                  Sup Baker!

Comment

Just wanted to say, glad to see you and fuzz come back to quake, even if you guys just play on shmack its good to add 2 back to the roster and not minus 2. If you have the nerve branch out to a differnt mod, DM & CA happen more daily and ctf sometimes. I promote ctf as it my favorite.

As far as video settings im not sure i understand what you want, you want quake to look like it did on your old squareish monitor or you want it to fill your 16:9 monitor. I have a 22" 16:9 monitor and in my config I have these lines:

fov 125
                    vid_borderless "0"
                    vid_bpp "32"
                    vid_config_x "800"
                    vid_config_y "600"
                    vid_conheight "496"
                    vid_conwidth "640"
                    vid_force_aspect_ratio "0"
                    vid_fullscreen "1"
                    vid_height "960"
                    vid_hwgammacontrol "2"
                    vid_mode "123"
                    vid_refreshrate "60"
                    vid_stretch_by_2 "1"
                    vid_width "1280"
                    viewsize "100"
                    vid_restart
                    Not sure what some of them do, maybe r00k can chime in or someone else. But thats my video settings to the best of lack luster knowledge.

Small Edit:

v_pentcshift "0"
                    v_quadcshift "0"
                    v_ringcshift "0"
                    v_suitcshift "0"
                    those commands will make it so that when you pick up pent, ring, biosuit, or quad your screen doesn't get faded or fuzzy. Some people like to have those effects on, I personally do not so I can see better. Changing anyone of those values to 1, will bring back normal effect when picking up said item.
                    So if you wanted screen to be dim (like normal) when you have ring you would have:
                    v_ringcshift "1"
                    Last edited by rambo; 12-18-2012, 06:36 AM.
                    Rambo[RuM]
                    I support:
                    Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                    Qrack - Thank You r00k
                    Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                    Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                      The -dinput seems to help a lot, that could be what I needed--thanks!
                      Anyone else find Quake strange on these newer, wide scope monitors?
                      Sup Baker!
                      By the way, you can turn on DirectInput via the menu (Menu->Options->Preferences). Command lines are so 1990s ...
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

In your monitor Spooks, you'll find in settings somewhere hit the MENU button on it somewhere.

4:3 <----- use your monitor menu to swap between
                        5:4 <----- use your monitor menu to the settings
                        16:9
                        16:10

Sometimes, the the easiest answer requires the least effort.

Open Quake, set monitor to appropriate aspect ratio / play quake / close quake / menu button on monitor back to widescreen resolution = done.
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

yeah, any modern monitor should have a setting to set aspect-ratio.

most modern monitors even have an option to automagically adjust to the aspect-ratio used and adjust the width of view and create those black bars you want at side
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll experiment with it tonight.
                            One other question: how do I stop it from lighting up my whole screen when I'm firing my gun? When I fire a rapid fire gun like the super nailgun, it's like my gamma is increased while I'm firing.

Comment

Come on back Spooker! Bring your clan!
                              QuakeOne.com
                              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                              X