proquake multiplayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proquake multiplayer?

i want to play q1 with 2 friends online, we have tried proquake 4.51 but no luck. i set up the game, forwarding port 26000 tcp+udp on the router, unblock port on windows firewall. they got "connection accepted" message and the game just doesn't start. if i type "status" then i can see their IP but the status says unconnected (then how come i can see their IP on my server??)
    is there a workaround for this?
    i'm on vista sp2.
    thankss

important note: we all can connect to a server listed on this site and play.

Comment

either set your server machine to be in the demilitarised zone, or use an engine that does not have this problem for the server (you will still have to forward the right port).

Engines that should not have this problem:
      FTE: http://triptohell.info/moodles/win32/fteglqw.exe
      (sv_port 26000; and you'll have compat with proquake clients, as well as your current firewall forwarding rules, the default is 27500)
      Darkplaces: LordHavoc's DarkPlaces Quake Modification
      (sv_protocol quake; and you should have compat with proquake clients, the default will allow only other DP clients)

I think someone else was trying to make a server port that doesn't have the issue, but I don't recall who they were or which engine it was.

And yes, you can use proquake, but you must forward(open?) pretty much every single udp port to the server. The exact range of ports required varies between windows version. Hence the mention of the demilitarised zone at the start of this reply.

Side notes:
      No QuakeWorld server will have an issue with port forwarding, but quakeworld servers use a different network protocol entirely, so I won't bother to name any.
      FTE is originally a QuakeWorld engine, but is now completely bi-compatible although there are QWisms like the default port being 27500 instead of 26000.
      FTE is my own project.
      Last edited by Spike; 12-25-2012, 02:04 AM.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

thakns for the detailed info, spike!
        i think there isn't any dmz here (or non-dmz).
        this is an ultra crappy laptop from somewhere 2007 so darkplaces and such engines is not really an option. is there any server-only port which can run along with the proquake client on this same laptop?

Comment

@deto

You have to open the dmz in your router. Otherwise communications are not getting in and out, at least not all of them. ProQuake, like original Quake, needs more than port 26000 available (Darkplaces, FTE, Quakeworld clients only need 26000 open).

Funny, I wouldn't claim to know how to open the DMZ on the router I currently have (since the docs for it suck). Maybe some day they will invent some sort of actual router standard, instead every router does everything differently and you have to read the docs.

Short version: This is always painful to try to figure out yourself and basically no one can help you but you .... either you read up on your router docs and figure out how to open the DMZ or it isn't gonna work. Wonderful, is it not?
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

the dmz solution can be aproximated/achieved using straight port forwarding of the port ranges documented here: Service overview and network port requirements for Windows
            (xp-: 1025 - 5000 vista+: 49152 - 65535)
            pick the ports to match your windows version (assuming you're running windows).
            You'll still need to forward port 26000 also.

using fte, you'll get an 'fps preset' menu the first time around (or use the fps_preset command to directly access it). Pick the second option and you should get something roughly similar to proquake's performance.
            If you have buggy/slow/missing opengl drivers, both fte and dp support d3d9 rendering, although perhaps with less features (that it sounds like you wouldn't want to use anyway) (fte generally requires that you download a d3d build instead of one that contains only the gl renderer).

or just use fte or dp as a dedicated server, and set the cvars previously mentioned for the respective engine, and connect with proquake or whatever, same as your friend will use.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

Baker you mean the DOS Quake as "original"? We tried it with the original Winquake and worked fine wthout DMZ.
              I've found the DMZ settings in the router and it seems really simple. Have to specify an IP and tick enable.
              I'll report bak when get a chance to try it.
              thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by deto View Post
                important note: we all can connect to a server listed on this site and play.
                I cannot emphasize how important your note REALLY was ; The q1 community is in a slump in terms of active multiplayer gamers. We can always use more people to play with, I would like to extended a friendly invitation to you and your friends ,join us in the festivities !
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

^^what he said, dont worry about egos.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                  X